Climbing mount Evans

Old July 24th 20, 11:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

Default Climbing mount Evans

On Friday, July 24, 2020 at 1:34:23 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Friday, July 24, 2020 at 12:59:50 AM UTC-7, Rolf Mantel wrote:
Am 23.07.2020 um 17:29 schrieb :
On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 7:35:42 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/22/2020 9:14 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 1:38:45 PM UTC-7, wrote:
On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 8:07:07 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
On Saturday, July 11, 2020 at 6:13:14 AM UTC-7, Mark Cleary wrote:
Has anyone here done this and what gears did you use? I just have no clue what is needed for a regular reasonably fit cyclist.

Deacon Mark

I used to ride with a guy who won the Mt. Evans Hill Climb five times, Mike Engleman. When we rode together, he rode a 39/21 low.

A quick search of the interweb shows reasonably fit sport riders using compact 34/28-30. The average gradient is moderate, although there are some steep sections. I'd be more concerned about heat and altitude. You're starting at 7,000 and ending at 14,000. I've ridden Rocky Mountain passes fully loaded on a touring bike as high as 12,000 (with a low of 36/28), but I was at altitude for a week or weeks before that, and those passes had very moderate grades. Doing weekend trips to Salt Lake and starting at 5,000 feet and riding up to 10,000 (Mirror Lake), I'm panting and sweating coming from balmy sea level Portland. You'll be used to the heat coming from the Midwest, but you'll need to acclimate to the altitude. You can get off the plane and start climbing, but if you do that, I would recommend going slowly, taking some Tylenol in advance and tons of water. Altitude sickness sucks. Its like a migraine and the flu. Maybe get some little CO2 canisters filled with O2.
The Hillclimb problem isn't the grade or length. It is the sheer altitude. Normal gears will work if you have trained enough at altitude to not get any altitude sickness. At one time climbing gears were 42-21 low and Jobst used to ride up the stuff around here in a 48-21 if memory serves. I don't think I was ever comfortable until I got a 39-25 And just last year did a climb with significant amounts of 12% that I went up with that gearing. The problem is being able to go slow enough to push a gear like that - you need very strong legs. At my age now just yesterday I did the same climb with a 34-28 holding a 32 in reserve.

With that mess up there now are you going to move out of town?

I'm going to move out of state because the taxes are too high. As far as the protests, I was downtown last night on my bike doing an after work climb through the West Hills, and down next to the federal court house/county justice center, it looked like the beginning of a fun run with sign-up tents and people standing around in shorts and t-shirts and masks. Its a very compliant crowd. I was down there a few days earlier -- and earlier in the day, and it was totally dead.

Yes, the bad ones are tagging the federal court house, which is a shame and should be stopped along with any property damage, but the Faux news coverage is basically a lie -- not surprisingly. The FPS goons are fanning flames that would have died down by now.

The weather has been beyond spectacular. I got slaughtered again last weekend riding with my buddy. I think he just wants to ride me off his wheel. Age has finally smote me. We were riding around suburban wine country, up and down, no climb more than a few miles long -- but I was ready to shoot the next roller I saw.
https://traveloregon.com/wp-content/..._DavidHill.jpg It reminded me of racing the classics back in Belgium . . .

-- Jay Beattie.

Ken Cuccinelli on the radio an hour ago said that in
Portland last night, there were under 100 protesters with
signs at the Federal building who dispersed around 11:00
after which roughly 1000 people arrived with fireworks
mortars and assorted tools and began assaulting the building
and attempting to break through the plywood over the
windows. They were repelled with arrests including felon in
possession.

Cuccinelli says your Mayor has conflated protesters with the
violent crowd and wrongly accused the Federal Security staff
(regular civil service career LE, not 'brownshirts') of
violating citizens' rights.

You're in the area. What's your take on it?

p.s. Dick 'Eddie Haskell' Durbin said much the same as your
Mayor on Chicago radio this morning

I'm having a little problem with Jay telling us that FOX news is misreporting when they are showing actual footage of it occurring.

There are few mor elegant ways of lying than showing video footage out
of context.
Jay did not say that there was no violence, so the footage need not be
faked.
However, from a short video footage you do not see whether there were
100 violent peopleof of 100,000 or whther a crowd of 100,000 went
rioting. You can show the same footage when rioters attack police and
when police attack rioters and rioters just defende themselves against
police (you just leave out the first couple of minutes at the start).

Rolf, Can you suggest what it matters when they showed people attempting to start the Federal Courthouse on fire? Do you suppose they used video editing tricks to show fire when they didn't have to? Did they have to show the stupid mayor of Portland being slapped around by his own leftists when the other channels claimed it was "merely" tear gas used to quell the crowd?

My take is simple - take no prisoners. Body counts are never wrong. And if the leftists want a war give it to them.

Oooh, you're so Rambo! Save me, save me old man! I'll act like I'm fainting, and you can catch me in your big, strong arms!

BTW, love him or not, Ted Wheeler is better than you by every conceivable metric. He can even beat you on a bike. Stanford/Columbia/Harvard. Ever been up the real Everest? He has.

Here is the riot and Antifa cookout/sewing circle yesterday evening at 6:50-ish. https://photos.app.goo.gl/rr4yhAkzdNdekUbCA Fence around the court house was pretty robust: https://photos.app.goo.gl/cLZ27MgqUtrr7nqP8

This was last weekend from the south side of the court house, pre-fence: https://photos.app.goo.gl/TVN6br8hnp9bMfBZ6 Close-up: https://photos.app.goo.gl/epDJi9zK4fUSMBCx6

Portland is burning-up! Actually, we're going to hit the high 90sF this weekend, which is burning-up for us.

Yes, bad news about the property damage. It really is. Prosecute the savages.

Is it Faux News Armageddon? No. We're just Trumps latest attempt to look tough and whip-up the base, namely you.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 24th 20, 11:54 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

:
[...]

Wrong again. In Vietnam the U.S. lied so much about body counts that
one reporter reckoned that if the U.S. body count number was accurate
that there were no Vietnamese left alive in the country.

Tommy, you really are an ignorant ass.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 25th 20, 07:06 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Don't tell us about that pile of **** Ted Wheeler. You're planning on moving out of the state because of the taxes but you're telling what a great time everyone is having burning down the courthouse and pulling over statues? Why don't you move into downtown Portland instead and then tell us what a great time everyone is having?
Old July 25th 20, 07:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Friday, July 24, 2020 at 3:54:35 PM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
[...]

So you're trying to compare LBJ to reality now? Isn't it time you told us what a wonderful organization Planned Parenthood is?