Adjusting brakes

Old July 22nd 20, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

Default Adjusting brakes

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 8:09:32 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/21/2020 6:22 PM, news18 wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 10:57:44 -0700, Sir Ridesalot wrote:

On Tuesday, 21 July 2020 12:54:06 UTC-4, sms wrote:

It takes a truing stand, patience, and the realization that you will
probably never achieve a perfectly true wheel. Tightening and loosening
spokes on alternate sides by only a small amount in each iteration of
truing. Remember that not only does the wheel need to be true side to
side, it also has to remain round. And you can really screw things up
if you over-tighten spokes.

Many people have trued many wheels without having to use a truing stand.
They do it with the wheel still on the bike. It's a good skill to have
if touring. Then you can true a wheel on tour or on a long ride if
needed.

Err, my 'truing stand' is an old set of (28"?) forks.

Hmm that sounds very familiar:

https://image.slidesharecdn.com/09-1...?cb=1380096121

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

That's pretty good.

I have an old stool.

Andy
Old July 22nd 20, 06:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AK[_2_]

On Tuesday, July 21, 2020 at 10:03:13 PM UTC-5, John B. wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 20:51:35 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 7/21/2020 8:41 PM, John B. wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jul 2020 00:55:27 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 23:51:19 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone
wrote:

John B. wrote:
On Tue, 21 Jul 2020 15:13:18 -0700 (PDT), AK
wrote:

On Monday, July 20, 2020 at 8:59:59 AM UTC-5, AK wrote:
On Sunday, July 19, 2020 at 6:37:22 PM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/19/2020 1:44 PM, AK wrote:
On Saturday, July 18, 2020 at 7:59:12 AM UTC-5, AMuzi wrote:
On 7/18/2020 2:39 AM, AK wrote:
I am having a very hard time adjusting my rear brakes.

I have a mountain bike. Low end. :-)

If I adjust it to where it grabs the rim tightly, it slows my bike
down due to the resistance from the brake touching the rim.

It's very frustrating.

Thanks,
Andy

First off, does your rim run straight without dents ? Any
bearing slop?
Secondly are there kinks or other impedimanta to your cable?

Do your brake pads meet the rim squarely and fully or are
they askew?

Is everything original? Mismatch of standard lever with
long pull linear brake would give that symptom.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

Yes to all your questions.

https://imgur.com/a/e61C1L5

https://imgur.com/a/nXBEr1Q

I don't see anything unusual.

Are the cables and brake pivots free moving and lubricated,
tat is, does the brake snap open when you release the lever?

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

I just found a broken spoke on my rear wheel.

I think my bike is plain wore out.

I need a better bike, but everyone is out except those bikes costing $800+.

Does anyone have any mountain bikes in stock?

Andy

I pick up my rim tomorrow which had one spoke replaced and it was trued.

$11

And a Park Tool truing stand is only $299.95 :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

I built mine out of leftover plywood and angle aluminum.

Errr... I was replying to a guy who had problems adjusting a Vee brake
and you are asking him to build a truing stand?

Horses for courses, as the British say.

--
Cheers,

John B.

No worse than you recommending a $300 trying stand to a guy who’s not
willing to spend $800 on an entire bike :-)

Ah but I wasn't recommending, I was comparing the $11 he paid to fix
and true his wheel to the $300 (actually $299.95) he might pay for a
stand to do it himself.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Truing a wheel in the bike is no less accurate, the result
no better and no worse than using a truing stand.

Building a series of wheels all day long under a good light
in a nice clean truing stand and surrounding workstation is
greatly more efficient and comfortable, but that was not the
OP's problem.

If I remember he broke a spoke and the wheel went out of true.
Whereupon he took it to a shop that charged him $11 to replace the
spoke and true the wheel. Which, if I recall, took a couple of days.

Compared to locating a spoke that would fit, cobbling up some sort of
gizmo to use for a truing stand, getting a spoke wrench that fits,
finding the spring loaded clothespin to use with the fork if that is
used as the truing stand and all the to and froing it would take for a
guy who had a problems adjusting a brake to get the wheel trued I
suggest that the $11 is not only the cheapest but the best solution.
--
Cheers,

John B.

:-)
Old July 22nd 20, 11:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 7/18/2020 2:39 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

I agree he found a suitable resolution.

but 'clothespin' ??

I'm not usually big on organic, natural and recyclable but
for this purpose I prefer my left thumb.

Use the spring loaded clothespin clipped to one side of the fork as an
indicator of run out.
see https://flatbike.com/truing-a-bike-wheel/
third photo down for photo of a commercial device with the finger
pointing at the gizmos that the clothespin substitutes for :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 23rd 20, 01:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/18/2020 2:39 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

meh.
I already own a left thumb and it's literally 'at hand'.

Old July 23rd 20, 03:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 7/18/2020 2:39 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

But... with the clothespin one can use both hands to spin the wheel...
Wheeeeee

:-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 23rd 20, 06:25 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

On 7/18/2020 2:39 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

If you’ve used the cone wrenches properly, you shouldn’t need two hands to
spin the wheel.

PS: I prefer using a Sharpie to mark the “high” spots, then I don’t have to
remember where they are. A quick wipe of solvent on the brake track and
you’re ready for the next pass.

Old July 23rd 20, 06:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

rOn Thu, 23 Jul 2020 05:25:31 +0000 (UTC), Ralph Barone

On 7/18/2020 2:39 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

But usually there are both low and high spots and it is usually better
to attempt correct both problems as you go otherwise it is quite easy
to have a wheel no run out but not centered in the fork. Particularly
the rear wheel where the spokes on one side are at a different angle
than those on the other side.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 23rd 20, 03:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

On 7/18/2020 2:39 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

I use the Sharpie on both sides of the rim to catch the outliers in each
direction. If it’s a wheel that needs more work, I also have a dial
indicator that mounts on my truing stand. Give the wheel a spin and the
moving pointer gives a good indication of what the average location is, as
well as the size and shape of the major wobbles.

Old July 24th 20, 01:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On 7/18/2020 2:39 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

A proper dial indicator? Calibrated in 1/1000 inch?

I had thought of that and even cobbled up a magnetic base to hold an
indicator against the wheel but decided that it was over kill :-) I
later made a small "lever" indicator - just a spring loaded lever sort
of thing with a long arm and a short arm - but in the end just used
the indicator arms built into the stand.
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 24th 20, 02:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

On 7/18/2020 2:39 AM, AK wrote:
[...]

Yes, a proper dial indicator. I’m not sure if it’s calibrated, but I’m sure
it’s good enough to true a bike wheel. I had it lying around for years, and
when I built the stand, I noticed that the mounting arm had the same thread
as some surplus IKEA table leg mounts, so I screwed those to the stand so I
can move the indicator around. I hacked together a plastic “shoe”that fits
on the end of the dial indicator shaft, so that I’m measuring the
deflection over a small area instead of just at one point, and the whole
thing works quite well. It makes no difference in real life, but it’s nice
to be able to say to yourself “That wheel is true to +/- 0.010”.

Self adjusting brakes? Marc[_2_] UK 10 September 2nd 09 08:24 PM
Self-adjusting disk brakes Kim Mountain Biking 3 March 29th 06 10:55 PM
Adjusting brakes on a Raleigh Timothy Murphy UK 7 November 13th 05 12:14 AM
adjusting vee brakes dave UK 14 November 27th 04 10:49 AM
Adjusting XT disc brakes? Moi Off Road 0 January 21st 04 07:56 AM