Bike Rack for Trek ALR4 Disc (women's)

Old July 22nd 20, 01:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SconnieRoadie

Default Bike Rack for Trek ALR4 Disc (women's)

Hi,

Trek in their infinite wisdom chose not to put attachment points on my GF's bike, which also has 12mm thru axles and disc brakes. In searching for an axle mount rear rack, I find nothing. Not that the brackets to attach with an 9mm QR can't be easily cootered out to fit, but I would like a no-cooter solution, i.e., 12mm thru axle mount rear rack.

There is a beam style that has padded metal clamps to attach to the seat stays that would work but that is like $90 and the axle mount ones are like $35.

Little help here?

TIA

Sconnie
Old July 22nd 20, 03:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/22/2020 7:53 AM, SconnieRoadie wrote:
Hi,

Trek in their infinite wisdom chose not to put attachment points on my GF's bike, which also has 12mm thru axles and disc brakes. In searching for an axle mount rear rack, I find nothing. Not that the brackets to attach with an 9mm QR can't be easily cootered out to fit, but I would like a no-cooter solution, i.e., 12mm thru axle mount rear rack.

There is a beam style that has padded metal clamps to attach to the seat stays that would work but that is like $90 and the axle mount ones are like $35.

Little help here?

It's unlikely that a through-axle axle mount rack could be
easily fabricated but possibly a skewer through the through
axle could be one path[1].

A seat post mount carrier is the usual approach. Typical
product:

https://designbydelta.com/collection...posthaste-rack

I assume you meant carbon frame. If it's aluminum you might
drill and tap the ends[1].

[1] you still need a disc-compatible rear carrier.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old July 22nd 20, 04:24 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 5:53:44 AM UTC-7, SconnieRoadie wrote:
Hi,

Trek in their infinite wisdom chose not to put attachment points on my GF's bike, which also has 12mm thru axles and disc brakes. In searching for an axle mount rear rack, I find nothing. Not that the brackets to attach with an 9mm QR can't be easily cootered out to fit, but I would like a no-cooter solution, i.e., 12mm thru axle mount rear rack.

There is a beam style that has padded metal clamps to attach to the seat stays that would work but that is like $90 and the axle mount ones are like $35.

Little help here?

TIA

Sconnie

Which ALR4? I assume its the Emonda ALR4 since the Checkpoint has a rack eyelet. Right? If so, that's basically a race bike not built for racks, so any rack will be a kludge or a post/beam rack. I'm not aware of any rear eyelet axle add-on.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old July 22nd 20, 05:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 5:53:44 AM UTC-7, SconnieRoadie wrote:
Hi,

Trek in their infinite wisdom chose not to put attachment points on my GF's bike, which also has 12mm thru axles and disc brakes. In searching for an axle mount rear rack, I find nothing. Not that the brackets to attach with an 9mm QR can't be easily cootered out to fit, but I would like a no-cooter solution, i.e., 12mm thru axle mount rear rack.

There is a beam style that has padded metal clamps to attach to the seat stays that would work but that is like $90 and the axle mount ones are like $35.

Little help here?

If you wanted a city bike why didn't you buy a city bike? Spending more money on a sport bike doesn't mean it should be anything more than a sport bike.
Old July 22nd 20, 05:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 8:24:38 AM UTC-7, jbeattie wrote:
[...]

The stays could not be strong enough to support one of the clamp-on racks and a axle mount is a very bad idea.
Old July 22nd 20, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SconnieRoadie

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 11:41:36 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 5:53:44 AM UTC-7, SconnieRoadie wrote:
Hi,

Trek in their infinite wisdom chose not to put attachment points on my GF's bike, which also has 12mm thru axles and disc brakes. In searching for an axle mount rear rack, I find nothing. Not that the brackets to attach with an 9mm QR can't be easily cootered out to fit, but I would like a no-cooter solution, i.e., 12mm thru axle mount rear rack.

There is a beam style that has padded metal clamps to attach to the seat stays that would work but that is like $90 and the axle mount ones are like $35.

Little help here?

If you wanted a city bike why didn't you buy a city bike? Spending more money on a sport bike doesn't mean it should be anything more than a sport bike.

Oh, rec.bicycles.tech, your approach to advice has not changed since your inception.

(No) Thank you for your useless and trollish ad hominem reply.

Sconnie

Old July 22nd 20, 08:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SconnieRoadie

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 11:43:52 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Huh, then why are these axle mount racks selling so well? There are tons of them out there.

You have nothing to add. Go away.

Sconnie
Old July 22nd 20, 09:03 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

On 7/22/2020 2:25 PM, SconnieRoadie wrote:
[...]

The most popular axle mount rear carriers have a steel strip
with a 5mm hole for the skewer

https://www.axiomgear.com/products/r...iner-disc-dlx/

And they elegantly loop back and around impediments such as
disc brakes.

A perusal of the image above and your through axle will show
what I meant by the term 'fabricate'. Probably could be
done with enough study and time but it's not a consumer
product. (see also recent discussion here about way too many
through axle 'standards')

Old July 22nd 20, 09:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, July 22, 2020 at 12:24:01 PM UTC-7, SconnieRoadie wrote:
[...]

If you don't want experienced advice simply don't ask for it. As for your "trollish" comment - what are you - 15 years old? I suggest you learn what "ad hominem" means before you use it.