how do you clean tandem timing chains?

Old October 3rd 05, 08:23 PM

Default how do you clean tandem timing chains?

i was preparing to clean the timing chain on our tandem when i saw hey!
there's no slack! so i couldn't use my chain cleaner gizmo. and you
can't put a SRAM link or Wipperman connex link to easily remove the
chain for cleaning because again there's no slack to allow you to
install/remove the link.

yes, i know you can loosen the timing chain by fiddling with the
eccentric. is this the only way? this seems to be too much trouble.

any tips for conveniently cleaning tandem timing chains either on or
off the bike?

Old October 3rd 05, 09:03 PM
maxo

http://flickr.com/photos/mathatelle/45581850/

/runs

Old October 3rd 05, 10:16 PM
Nick Payne

The Park clip-on chain cleaner works on tandem timing chains and single
speed machine...the chain runs straight through without bending.

oups.com...

Old October 4th 05, 01:08 PM
Jasper Janssen

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:37:52 -0700, Mark Hickey

any tips for conveniently cleaning tandem timing chains either on or
off the bike?

Take it off the bike, swish it around in some kerosene or other
solvent, dry it out, re-lube it and re-install. There's very little
reason to do otherwise for a chain you don't have to break to take off
to clean "properly" IMHO.

So how do you remove the chain again without breaking it, if you don't
want to fiddle with the excentric to reduce chain tension and you can't
use a quicklink? Although to be fair there probably should be enough slack
even in a timing chain run to use a standard sram quicklink with pliers.

A tandem timing chain could have a 1-speed style semi-quick link without
any problems, though.

Jasper
Old October 4th 05, 02:03 PM
Mark Hickey

Jasper Janssen wrote:

On Mon, 03 Oct 2005 18:37:52 -0700, Mark Hickey

any tips for conveniently cleaning tandem timing chains either on or
off the bike?

Take it off the bike, swish it around in some kerosene or other
solvent, dry it out, re-lube it and re-install. There's very little
reason to do otherwise for a chain you don't have to break to take off
to clean "properly" IMHO.

So how do you remove the chain again without breaking it, if you don't
want to fiddle with the excentric to reduce chain tension and you can't
use a quicklink? Although to be fair there probably should be enough slack
even in a timing chain run to use a standard sram quicklink with pliers.

A tandem timing chain could have a 1-speed style semi-quick link without
any problems, though.

Just nudge it over the edge of the ring while turning the cranks.
Unless your timing chain is unreasonably tight, this is a simple and
intuitive process. Since there are no derailleurs, the chain just
slip off over the crankarms and you're ready to clean.

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame
Old October 4th 05, 02:24 PM
David Damerell

Quoting :
any tips for conveniently cleaning tandem timing chains either on or
off the bike?

Don't. The things last forever and it's not like they're wearing out
cassettes.

Failing that, an ordinarily tight sync chain can just be pulled sideways
to derail it off the timing rings while turning the cranks.
--
David Damerell Kill the tomato!
Today is Second Gloucesterday, September.
Old October 4th 05, 02:46 PM
Doug Huffman

Heavens! 'Intuition' on R.B.T.?

That's only appropriate when writing opinions on 'rideability' or softening
of 1430 low alloy thin wall steel tubing.. Cleaning a chain and especially
the timing chain on (what is I am sure a Santanago XYZ10^100) requires the
highest intellect and appropriate discussion. PHUI Be sure and get EPA
approval.

news

Old October 4th 05, 07:40 PM
Donald Gillies

My first use of a PARK chain cleaning tool was on the 2 chains of a
tandem. I decided that on that day, the tool paid for itself. It's
really quite messy to take off the chain, soak it, and try to relube
it, reinstall it, etc. With the park tool, I had the chain cleaned in
10 minutes, with the tandem on its back on the grass in my front
yard...

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA
Old October 4th 05, 07:55 PM
Paul Kopit

On Tue, 04 Oct 2005 12:08:15 GMT, Jasper Janssen
wrote:

So how do you remove the chain again without breaking it, if you don't
want to fiddle with the excentric to reduce chain tension and you can't
use a quicklink? Although to be fair there probably should be enough slack
even in a timing chain run to use a standard sram quicklink with pliers.

I use a rag over one of the timing rings and force the chain off and
toward the frame/bb. It's best to put the rag in where the chain is
loosest on the top run.