Krypnotite "New York" series - info please..

Old October 4th 05, 05:27 AM
Ken Pisichko

Default Krypnotite "New York" series - info please..

I have looked on the internet for "boron manganese steel" chains, but
find little (except for references to Krypnotite and a site dealing with
tire chains.

Anyone have any leads so I can "read up" on the metallurgy, etc.

Also, is there any (non-Kryptonite sources) information in their NY
series of U-locks? Why are they so much better than the current crop of
Bic-resistant u-locks?

Thanks.

Old October 4th 05, 10:06 PM
ellis

"Ken Pisichko" wrote in message
I have looked on the internet for "boron manganese steel" chains, but
find little (except for references to Krypnotite and a site dealing with
tire chains.

Anyone have any leads so I can "read up" on the metallurgy, etc.

Also, is there any (non-Kryptonite sources) information in their NY
series of U-locks? Why are they so much better than the current crop of
Bic-resistant u-locks?

Thanks.

Get the St Pierre Quadrachain.

Old October 5th 05, 01:32 AM
Bill Henry

(PeteCresswell) wrote:

Per Ken Pisichko:

Also, is there any (non-Kryptonite sources) information in their NY
series of U-locks?

A few weeks ago, someone posted a link to a bike shop's video in which they
basically stole their own locked bike four times in broad daylight in NYC.

Different tools, different lock for each 'theft'.

A little oblique, but I think it told me a lot.

Maybe somebody can re-post it?

That may be true. But a lock is really more of a deterrent than a
preventative security. Any lock is better than no lock, and a strong
lock is better than a weak lock. The idea is that a thief will go on to
easier pickings, rather than try to use tools to break locks.
Basically, you want to make your bike not worth the time, effort, and
risk.

Personally, I'd never leave a very expensive bike (more than $1000)
parked in broad daylight where I couldn't keep an eye on it. For riding
around the city, I'd get an older, used road bike or hybrid that looked
ugly, with non-flashy components. I'd get a good lock and park it along
a busy street. Will this guarantee my bike won't get stolen? Of course
not - but it makes the bike tougher and more risky to get than, say, a
poorly locked bike in a back alley. And if the bike doesn't look too
attractive in the first place, there's a better chance it won't get
stolen.

For road riding / racing, I'd feel more comfortable having an expensive
bike, because I would presumably be with it at all times.

Old October 5th 05, 04:51 AM
(PeteCresswell)

Per Bill Henry:
For riding
around the city, I'd get an older, used road bike or hybrid that looked
ugly, with non-flashy components. I'd get a good lock and park it along
a busy street. Will this guarantee my bike won't get stolen? Of course
not - but it makes the bike tougher and more risky to get than, say, a
poorly locked bike in a back alley. And if the bike doesn't look too
attractive in the first place, there's a better chance it won't get
stolen.

A lot of people seem to agree with you. When I'm in Center City Philadelphia,
I'm periodically amazed to see absolute *junk* bikes (as in something you'd get
out of a dumpster...) with multiple locks on them that look to not only weigh
almost as much as the bike, but cost at least several times the bike's value.
--
PeteCresswell