Are Time RXS pedals durable???

Old October 4th 05, 10:17 AM
AJS

Default Are Time RXS pedals durable???

I've been looking for reviews of the Time RXS pedals on the net and
haven't really found any. I did find these "user" reviews:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/dr...8_2503crx.aspx

One disturbing thing is the reports of the pedal unscrewing itself.

I've seached this group and the net and cannot find any other reports
of these pedals unscrewing themselves. Anyone see this firsthand?

Thanks,

Anthony

Old October 4th 05, 01:26 PM
Jasper Janssen

On 4 Oct 2005 02:17:26 -0700, "AJS" wrote:

One disturbing thing is the reports of the pedal unscrewing itself.

I've seached this group and the net and cannot find any other reports
of these pedals unscrewing themselves. Anyone see this firsthand?

Given the fact that this dude thinks it's the *right* pedal that would
have to be reverse threaded, rather than the left, I think we can safely
dismiss him as a crank.

Jasper
Old October 4th 05, 06:01 PM

AJS wrote:
I've been looking for reviews of the Time RXS pedals on the net and
haven't really found any. I did find these "user" reviews:

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/dr...8_2503crx.aspx

One disturbing thing is the reports of the pedal unscrewing itself.

I've seached this group and the net and cannot find any other reports
of these pedals unscrewing themselves. Anyone see this firsthand?

Thanks,

Anthony

Never seen a Time RXS pedal in person but I do have 13 years experience
with Time Equipe models and their durability. With the Time brass rear
cleat, it wears a groove in the side of the pedal body when you clip
out. With my 1992 Time Sport aluminum body pedals, there was a wide
deep groove from the brass cleat. With more time, it would literally
cut the front of the pedal off. Sadly the bearings on these pedals
gave up and I was too lazy to replace them. Might have damaged the
bearing surfaces too. So I bought a pair of Equipe pedals from Nashbar
a year or two ago for about $60 on closeout. I think the RXS pedal
bodies are plastic/carbon. And the rear cleat is still brass. So I
suspect the RXS pedals will be cut in half from unclipping the brass
cleat much quicker than the old aluminum bodied pedals.

Old June 10th 06, 01:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 2005-10-04 05:26:31 -0700, Jasper Janssen said:

On 4 Oct 2005 02:17:26 -0700, "AJS" wrote:

One disturbing thing is the reports of the pedal unscrewing itself.

I've seached this group and the net and cannot find any other reports
of these pedals unscrewing themselves. Anyone see this firsthand?

Given the fact that this dude thinks it's the *right* pedal that would
have to be reverse threaded, rather than the left, I think we can safely
dismiss him as a crank.

Well, not exactly... see:

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1158309.html

Basically, the pedal body is threaded into a sleeve that holds the
bearing. So it can unscrew. Though in looking at the pedal, I can't
really see how pedaling action should have the standard effect to
unscrew the pedal from the body -- those parts really shouldn't be
working against each other. That said, some appear to have backed out.
I would think a little loctite should this ever begin to unscrew may
not be a bad idea.

Speedplay v. Time Bob M General 3 August 24th 04 08:11 PM
Info on Time ATAC pedals? Gwood Mountain Biking 5 July 28th 04 01:51 PM
Time ATAC Pedals Eric St. Mary Techniques 4 March 4th 04 09:02 PM
Question how Polar 7xx records ride Time & Avg. Speed GaryG Techniques 3 December 2nd 03 05:16 PM
Equipment Report: Weyless MG-1 pedals Monique Y. Herman Mountain Biking 33 September 17th 03 05:40 PM