Look pedals falling apart

Old July 31st 17, 12:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

Default Look pedals falling apart

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a ride in New York where I had to carry
the bike on my roof rack. I got it set up and went to clip in but my
right pedal was missing. Luckily, I found it on the ground. It came
apart where the pedal attaches to the spindle. Look Keo 2. I had never
seen this. Typically I think pedals tighten with use. Anyway, I put
some locktite on it and didn't think about it.

Yesterday during a ride it happened to the guy in front of me. Same
thing. Came loose at the spindle. His pedals were Keo Classics. I was
wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Seems like an odd failure.
Old July 31st 17, 02:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

On Mon, 31 Jul 2017 07:58:01 -0400, Duane
wrote:

A couple of weeks ago, I went to a ride in New York where I had to carry
the bike on my roof rack. I got it set up and went to clip in but my
right pedal was missing. Luckily, I found it on the ground. It came
apart where the pedal attaches to the spindle. Look Keo 2. I had never
seen this. Typically I think pedals tighten with use. Anyway, I put
some locktite on it and didn't think about it.

Yesterday during a ride it happened to the guy in front of me. Same
thing. Came loose at the spindle. His pedals were Keo Classics. I was
wondering if anyone else has noticed this. Seems like an odd failure.

Are you saying that the pedal "body", for want of a better word, came
off the pedal spindle but the spindle itself was still in the crank
arm? Or that the whole pedal, spindle and all, came off?

I've known both to happen, in fact losing the pedal body and being
left with only the spindle sticking out is not that uncommon on
department store bikes, the really low end ones. I saw some on sale
the other day, 26" Ladies Model, single speed, with rear carrier and
front basket... and a kick stand, for US$ 35.00. Take two and you get
a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Old July 31st 17, 03:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Yeah, the spindle was still in the crank arm. These aren't department
store bikes. And Look KEO and KEO 2 are pretty high end pedals. I'm
not looking for comparisons to really low end bikes. I'm wondering if
anyone has seen this with this caliber pedal.
Old July 31st 17, 03:44 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Yeah, the spindle was still in the crank arm. These aren't department
store bikes. And Look KEO and KEO 2 are pretty high end pedals. I'm
not looking for comparisons to really low end bikes. I'm wondering if
anyone has seen this with this caliber pedal.

I only use the older style ARC/Delta pedals and haven't seen anything like that. But the Keo pedals look like poorly crafted junk to me when I looked at them in Performance.
Old July 31st 17, 05:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Yeah, the spindle was still in the crank arm. These aren't department
store bikes. And Look KEO and KEO 2 are pretty high end pedals. I'm
not looking for comparisons to really low end bikes. I'm wondering if
anyone has seen this with this caliber pedal.

Mine did that -- a Keo, which I took back and got a warranty replacement. One fell apart on a ride soon after I bought the pair. The pedal body was attached to my foot, and the spindle was attached to the crank. I just jammed the pedal back on the spindle, and it worked for a while then came apart again. Rinse lather repeat all the way home from out in the Chehalem hills.. https://www.adelsheim.com/assets/cli...e-chehalem.jpg . The nice people at Biketires Direct (sister store to Western Bikeworks) just handed me a new pair. The replacements have been trouble free.

The sense I get is that this a known failure mode, and you should get an easy warranty replacement -- assuming you didn't get them off eBay.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old July 31st 17, 05:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_3_]

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
[...]

For me, it probably fell off when I was taking the bike off the roof
rack. For the guy yesterday it was just as you described. But nothing
was broken in either case. In both cases we just reinstalled it and it
held for the ride. The threads were fine and I just tightened it. No
jamming necessary.

When I got home I took it apart to put loctite on it and it was tight.
I needed a wrench to get it off. Weird.

But thanks, that's what I was wondering. Whether it's a known failure
mode as I hadn't seen this before.
Old July 31st 17, 06:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Yeah, the spindle was still in the crank arm. These aren't department
store bikes. And Look KEO and KEO 2 are pretty high end pedals. I'm
not looking for comparisons to really low end bikes. I'm wondering if
anyone has seen this with this caliber pedal.

Mine did that -- a Keo, which I took back and got a warranty replacement. One fell apart on a ride soon after I bought the pair. The pedal body was attached to my foot, and the spindle was attached to the crank. I just jammed the pedal back on the spindle, and it worked for a while then came apart again. Rinse lather repeat all the way home from out in the Chehalem hills. https://www.adelsheim.com/assets/cli...-chehalem..jpg . The nice people at Biketires Direct (sister store to Western Bikeworks) just handed me a new pair. The replacements have been trouble free.

The sense I get is that this a known failure mode, and you should get an easy warranty replacement -- assuming you didn't get them off eBay.

-- Jay Beattie.

The Keo doesn't seem to have any sort of real attachment of the axle to the pedal. I wondered if it wouldn't do that and lo and behold.
Old July 31st 17, 06:18 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
[...]

There seems to be two different types of connections of the Keo axle. The one you are talking about suggests that it was the left pedal that fell off. I think it is a later design that doesn't have this inside attachment but a much smaller outside bolt. Though perhaps I'm getting this backwards.
Old July 31st 17, 10:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
Cheers,

John B.

Yeah, the spindle was still in the crank arm. These aren't department
store bikes. And Look KEO and KEO 2 are pretty high end pedals. I'm
not looking for comparisons to really low end bikes. I'm wondering if
anyone has seen this with this caliber pedal.

I've been using Look Keo pedals for probably 10 years, give or take. I
have the version with a stainless steel plate on the pedal. Keo 2 Max I
think.

I've never had the pedal body unscrew itself from the axle. I have
taken them apart a couple of times to check for moisture and grease
consistency - but there has never been any water in there and the grease
is always fine.

Maybe it happened as a result of spinning in the breeze on top of the
car? That's not how I transport my bicycle.

If that's the case I'd say it's poor design, but you could easily
overcome it with a little tape or a cable tie while the bike is in
transit on the roof of a car.

--
JS
Old July 31st 17, 11:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

a 10% discount, the sign said :-)
--
[...]

Isn't the "Max" the one with the small bolt on the outside of the pedal? I had a couple of the original Shimano Delta Cleat pedals unscrew like Duane was talking about but the Look Delta pedals never did that. Perhaps they have reverse threaded left pedal lock.

Falling off (black ice) Mr. Benn[_2_] UK 8 January 12th 10 12:02 PM
Dr. Andy's falling apart [email protected] Racing 44 March 6th 09 09:16 PM
Anyone Falling For It? Nuxx Bar UK 0 February 23rd 09 12:12 AM
Q. What goes up and down for six hours before falling over? davek UK 3 March 13th 06 06:17 PM
Not falling over on ice innes Unicycling 8 January 1st 06 06:17 PM