Does anyone know good thorn-resistant tubes?

Old May 21st 20, 07:45 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

Default Does anyone know good thorn-resistant tubes?

On Thursday, May 14, 2020 at 10:31:18 PM UTC+1, Roger Merriman wrote:
wrote:

There was some sort of tire advertisement in that shop and the tires had
some thick blue rubber under the normal tread. They were poked full of
tacks and none of them punctured the tire. It was some sort of commuter tire.

That’s the Marathon plus range, they do also do road range, I’ve used them
and family from 25mm to 55mm they do what you’d expect, ie long life and
near bomb proof, ie broken glass is a none issue and so on.

Roger Merriman

I've hidden only Schwalbe Marathon tyres for over twenty years. The range is hew-yuge ranging from the bumbuster but virtually bombproof Marathon Plus, a huge favourite with commuters into broken bottle strewn city streets, through to the Big Apple which is actually a Marathon Big Apple, a large low-pressure, soft-riding balloon tyre. In between are all kinds tyres for various purposes, of which I know about the touring ones because the large conference of touring bicyclists I hang out with swear by them. But there's probably half a dozen Marathon Xxxxx types for touring alone. All that the Marathons have in common is that they have puncture protection of various kinds*, and are made with long-lasting compounds, again of various kinds at various prices. You need to know what you want before you start shopping Schwalbe's Marathon lines, plural.

You can read about my Marathon tyres in "In praise of riding low pressure tyres fast" at
http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index....16360#msg16360
There is also much on Marathon Supremes and Marathon Duremes and other Schwalbe Marathon tyres in the long thread that follows my opening post.

Andre Jute
* Actually, there was once a Marathon Big Apple balloon intended for racing; it didn't have the puncture protection but was amazingly light.
Old May 21st 20, 08:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Sunday, May 3, 2020 at 11:28:51 PM UTC+1, Roger Merriman wrote:

I swapped them out since I noticed that the ride was very harsh and that
nothing seem to penetrate the tread plenty of embedded shards etc, Thus far
the Big Apples have done 4K with little sign of wear I’d expect to at least
double that.

Very likely. I took off a pair because I was giving the bike its 6000 mile service and I like doing one service a year and to do everything them. The Big Apple Liteskins (a lightweight folding, touring tyre no longer offered since its sidewall is now part of the most expensive Big Apples) had done 8500km, actually more than Joerg's desired 5000m. The rear tyre has just the ghost of the faux tread left, the front tyre appeared to have no wear at all. It was suggested by old tourers that I am a crazy wastrel, that the Big Apples would have gone the same distance again if I swapped them around. But that's exactly the point: they would have gone another 5000m, not 6000 to the next big service. Maybe I should send them to Joerg, who'll probably reject them because they have no tread even when new. For spares I ordered whatever the current top Big Apple is; they're on top of my deepest bookshelf.

Added observation: In use on rough lanes, the Ultraleicht balloon tube, Type 19A for 700 wheels, is as good as the thicker, heavier standard tube. I've used both and can detect no service differential.

Andre Jute
In praise of riding low pressure tyres fast http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=3798.0
Old May 21st 20, 03:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 12:14:05 AM UTC-7, Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Most of these people have absolutely no idea of what it is like above the arctic circle. On a clear day you can freeze to death wearing what most of these people would think of as clothing far too heavy to move in.
Old May 22nd 20, 04:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Thursday, May 21, 2020 at 3:12:18 PM UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Hell, yes. And if you're ignorant or careless, even if you have the right clothes, you can freeze to death inside them in your own sweat. Up there the margins of error we are used to saving us from our own stupidity become infinitesimally small. I wasn't joking when I said that after that days' "adventures" I just wanted to lie in a bunk and consider how I would account for my sins in front of the Pearly Gates.

My favourite photo of the Iditarod is of Jeff King, a four-time champion, lying down right there on the ice of a frozen river -- upwind from his dogs to give them a little shelter from a fierce wind. He's the inventor of a sled handlebar warmer that heats up to 200 degrees F, which tells you how near to frostbite one is every moment in those parts. Brrr!

Andre Jute
PS The Canada-based members may have some inkling. It gets pretty miserable up there, even for people who live much further south than I do here in Ireland.

PPS You're in the wrong thread! Then again, that special cold spreads everywhere, so why not into a strange thread?
Old May 22nd 20, 11:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic798.0

To be honest I suspect they (Big Apples) will die from slash damage at some
point, ie will pick up enough that I’ll loose confidence in them, rather
than wearing out though time will tell! I have been impressed by them thus
far.

As the chain/cassette wear out long before the tyres I tend to do as needed
which isn’t that often to be honest, though commuting over gravel does
trash the chain fairly quickly.

Roger Merriman

Old May 22nd 20, 10:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andre Jute[_2_]

On Friday, May 22, 2020 at 11:31:50 AM UTC+1, Roger Merriman wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

Schwalbe advises cyclists to ride their tyres until the protective layer starts showing through. I've never actually done that, because they're hard-wearing tyres, and because I tend to replace them for other reasons than being worn out or even that it is time for a scheduled big service, like the reflective band being ripped off upon too close an acquaintance with the thorny gorse that lines many of the lanes I ride.

Andre Jute
Old May 24th 20, 07:12 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Roger Merriman[_4_]

Andre Jute wrote:
[...]

I run fairly big lights, and during the day plus the panniers are
reflective so I’m never that bothered by the reflective strip, plus I’d
need to clean the tyres!

Like you I’d not wear them that low, thus far at 4K the tread is slightly
if you compare to the front which has done less miles, wear but plenty of
life, and give the bike a much more lively feel even fully loaded!

They cope very well with some of the gravel tracks, and wooden walkways and
still does okay in mud, clearly nothing like a full MTB tyre but not bad at
all!

Roger Merriman

Changing presta tubes on flat resistant tires catzz66[_2_] Techniques 23 July 30th 09 07:05 PM
self sealing tubes HD commuting touring tubes patch glue knee how ma [email protected] Techniques 5 February 8th 06 02:37 AM
Slime tubes - any good? POHB UK 3 September 12th 05 05:36 PM
Puncture resistant tyre tubes Cicero UK 18 February 5th 04 11:07 AM
Latex tubes , Hold air longer and puncture resistant??? Robert Box Techniques 20 September 24th 03 04:05 PM