Shimano SH-T092 shoe and PD-M520 pedal question

Old August 14th 04, 06:04 PM
James P. Clark

Default Shimano SH-T092 shoe and PD-M520 pedal question

I'm getting back in to road biking for fitness and enjoyment and I have a shoe question. I currently have a LOOK-style pedal on my road bike and am looking to change to the SPD pedals so that I may wear shoes that are more "walkable". I decided on the Shimano PD-M520 pedal but I have a question about the T092 shoes. From browsing the Web, they look like a good alternative to straight mountain biking shoes. Does anyone know if the cleat would be recessed enough to make them truly "walkable"? I can't find them locally to see for myself. Thanks for any and all help!

--
Please remove all UPPERCASE letters in the reply email address!
Old August 14th 04, 07:24 PM
Dan Daniel

On Sat, 14 Aug 2004 13:04:25 -0400, "James P. Clark"
wrote:

I'm getting back in to road biking for fitness and enjoyment and I have a shoe question. I currently have a LOOK-style pedal on my road bike and am looking to change to the SPD pedals so that I may wear shoes that are more "walkable". I decided on the Shimano PD-M520 pedal but I have a question about the T092 shoes. From browsing the Web, they look like a good alternative to straight mountain biking shoes. Does anyone know if the cleat would be recessed enough to make them truly "walkable"? I can't find them locally to see for myself. Thanks for any and all help!

For me, the shoes are very walkable, but the cleat does grind at the
very back edge. I have the cleat very far back, though. And the
grinding (very obvious when walking on concrete) is slowly taking away
that part of the cleat, which doesn't affect its function.

They are *not* shoes that I would plan on hiking around the woods or
doing a full day of sightseeing. The sole is stiff. MTB shoes seem to
have more flex, trying to balance power transfer and ability to hike.
For general 'road bike' walking- into a store, to stretch out, on the
way to work, going to lunch, etc., they are great. And compared to the
Look shoe setup, much better. You actually could do a lot of walking
in the TO-92 if need be. Some days I wear them into work and don't
realize for an hour that I still have them on, something I can't see
doing with a typical road shoe.

The 520 pedals are nice, also. I've enjoyed the combo.
Old August 15th 04, 12:32 AM
Ken

"James P. Clark" wrote in
:
I decided on the Shimano PD-M520 pedal but I have a
question about the T092 shoes. From browsing the Web, they look like a
good alternative to straight mountain biking shoes. Does anyone know if
the cleat would be recessed enough to make them truly "walkable"?

I think the Shimano T-series shoes are great for recreational riding and
touring. Yes, the shoes are easily walkable with SPD cleats. These shoes
are stiffer than some other brands of touring shoes, so you don't lose much
efficiency compared to super-stiff racing shoes. The no-lug soles are less
clunky and less heavy than MTB shoes.

Shoe Fit Question...Follow up RkFast Techniques 16 April 21st 04 10:16 PM
Pedal and Shoe Question Ken Jude UK 6 September 6th 03 11:23 AM
ICYCLES Inventory List ICYCLES Marketplace 0 July 26th 03 08:25 PM