2007 Specialized Rockhopper vs 2006 Specialized Rockhopper

Old May 22nd 07, 04:20 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default 2007 Specialized Rockhopper vs 2006 Specialized Rockhopper

On May 21, 8:21 pm, wrote:
On May 21, 4:29 pm, Toasty Toasty wrote:

wrote:
On May 19, 6:36 pm, Toasty Toasty wrote:
Oz wrote:
"Paladin" wrote in message
egroups.com...
I like the 2006 better, because I think the level of SRAM stuff on it
is better than that Acera and Alivio crap. Tektro levers are ok.
Rockhoppers are my favorite generic starter bike. Welcome to the
dirt.
CDB
Thank you for the info, seriously. Unfortunately, I don't have a choice in
the matter - the 2007 bike. The bike shop is plain out of 2006 models.
I'm thinking component upgrades.
Thank you for the warm welcome. I am most definitely looking forward to
off-road experiences vs road biking. Don't get me wrong. I like road
biking but the doggone traffic is uncomfortable, to say the least. I have
already had at least two boats being pulled by trucks miss my noggin by mere
inches. I don't think I'm going to have the same trouble on trails in the
area.
Oz
Doesn't the 2007 model come with an M4 frame though? If so it's the same
material the old top of the line stumpys were made out of, very good
bike with loads of room to upgrade!

You don't get the M4 frame until you get to the top of the line. That
is to say, that the Rockhopper, Rockhopper Disc, and Rockhopper Comp
Disc all come with the "redesigned" A1 frame (with ORE) downtube.

Well not all of the frame, the mainframe is M4 on the entire range though:

Where the hell do they get ppl like you?

Not to coin a phrase ... BULL PHQUING SCHYT.

New for 07 M4 manipulated alloy frame, butted ORE DT, disc only, forged
dropouts

Quoted from specialized.com on the Rockhopper (low end).

Give the link.

Ohhh yah the entry line Rockhopper is "DISC ONLY" ...that works. So
where do you mount the "V"brakes" on that model?

You come in here as a know nothing nub ... ask for advice. Then when
someone gives you real information you choose to "correct them."

snip

Actually, you didn't ask for advice ... My appologies ... You posted a
quasi-question ...

Doesn't the 2007 model come with an M4 frame though?

I guess the short answer is No.

Unless you are outside the US. But then, of course the bike specs of
the OP wouldn't apply either.

Like the UK, where the RH is M4, but the bike is not spec'd with Acera
and Alivio, but with Deore, and LX.

Old May 22nd 07, 11:35 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

"Oz" wrote in message
. ..

"Paladin" wrote in message
[...]

If you know the geometry works for you, you might also consider the used
marketplace. Bikes lose value pretty quick, you're likely to be able to get
a 2-3 year old used version of the same bike for half price. Within a few
months you could upgrade any components that were substandard or worn.
There are lots of folks who buy these beasties and only ride them a few
times before locking them away in the garage.

FWIW, the drivetrain components that you cite are important, but not THE
most important components on a bike at that level. The brakes themselves
can make a difference between a controlled, safe ride and a white knuckle
dance with big trees. Also on the high priority list is the suspension
fork. A low end fork can give poor performance, and even be dangerous if it
is noodly and flexes on the turns.

Good luck
Gary (W)

Old May 22nd 07, 11:52 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Oz[_2_]

"Mamba" wrote in message
"Oz" wrote in message
. ..

"Paladin" wrote in message
[...]

Gary,

Thank you for the thought provoking post. I ended up buying a 2006
Specialized Rockhopper for myself and a 2007 Trek 4500 for my son. The
Specialized, as stated in my original post, has SRAM components with a
RoxShocks Judy 3 shock. My son's 4500 has Shimano components with a
RoxShocks Judy 1 shock. I rode both bikes about ten miles each, on dirt
roads with moderate hills and plenty of loose stones, and saw little to no
difference between the two.

At our current level of expertise (beginners) I think the two bikes we
purchased will serve us well. The plus is in the fact that both have good
frames that are very upgradable (is that even a real word?). I'm just
looking to get into off-road biking right now and my LBS told me that both
of these bikes will fit the bill.

Oz

Old May 23rd 07, 12:10 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Mamba

"Paladin" wrote in message
oups.com...
On May 19, 3:42 pm, "Oz" wrote:
"Paladin" wrote in message

Road riding is scary. I bike commute when I can, and road ride for
fitness when the trails are wet. But I'm a lot more comfortable &
safer on dirt. If I crash, it's my fault. Not some idiot on a cell-
phone or reaching back to slap a kid.

CDB

True dat. My commute is only about 15 miles of surface streets in Portland
(OR), arguably one of the most bike-friendly towns in the US. There is
rarely a week that goes by where I don't have a close call caused by some
butthead pointing one of those 5000 lbs steel things around. And I'm one of
the few "weenie" bikers who actually wait out red lights and stop at stop
signs.

I gave up riding motorcycles after 15 years because I was the only one left
in my peer group who didn't have a bad crash in their history. The odds
just got too steep. Mountain biking was was repalcement adrenaline therapy
for me.

So head's up out there. Be very aware.

Old May 23rd 07, 08:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Toasty

Oz wrote:
"Paladin" wrote in message
[...]

It's called a 'rhetorical' question. See, you've learnt something today!
\o/ You find people like me in the UK, land of tea, fish and chips and
Rockhoppers with M4 frames.

Given the price of the M4 stumpy frames I'd happily take a component hit
for a decent frame.
Old May 26th 07, 01:46 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On May 23, 1:45 pm, Toasty Toasty wrote:
wrote:
On May 21, 8:21 pm, wrote:
On May 21, 4:29 pm, Toasty Toasty wrote:

snip blather snip

It's called a 'rhetorical' question. See, you've learnt something today!
\o/ You find people like me in the UK, land of tea, fish and chips and
Rockhoppers with M4 frames.

Given the price of the M4 stumpy frames I'd happily take a component hit
for a decent frame.

Really ...just a bad pint of mead on my part ... that and it was
pretty clear to me that the op was not in the UK since he gave spec's
for a none UK RH.

I was also clear that you were looking at UK spec's.

As for it being rhetorical question; rhetorical questions are
generally used to assert or deny something where the answer is already
known. In this case it appears that you were asserting that all RH
frames are M4 frames. Your "rhetorical" statement was wrong in the
case of the op. So I posted a correction, and even included a bail out
for you since it was clear that you didn't care (or comprehend) that
the op was not in the UK.

Here's to hoping you learnt something today ...though I have my
doubts.

And as for finding ppl like you in the UK ... I am sure there are a
few, seems like there are a few everywhere.

Wishing that it was restricted to just the UK

Old May 26th 07, 01:55 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Oz[_2_]

ups.com...
wrote:
On May 21, 8:21 pm, wrote:
On May 21, 4:29 pm, Toasty Toasty wrote:

snip blather snip

It's called a 'rhetorical' question. See, you've learnt something today!
\o/ You find people like me in the UK, land of tea, fish and chips and
Rockhoppers with M4 frames.

Given the price of the M4 stumpy frames I'd happily take a component hit
for a decent frame.

Really ...just a bad pint of mead on my part ... that and it was
pretty clear to me that the op was not in the UK since he gave spec's
for a none UK RH.

You are correct sir! Though I was born in the UK (to a US serviceman and
American wife) I have lived almost my entire life in Michigan.

Oz

What year is my Rockhopper Expert? goshrx Mountain Biking 2 May 2nd 06 01:57 AM
2006 model worth the extra?? Rockhopper. Guildford-Unit UK 6 February 14th 06 12:29 PM
My New $8 Rockhopper maxo General 39 March 24th 05 03:18 PM
Rockhopper down cc Mountain Biking 12 August 16th 04 10:53 PM
Specialized Rockhopper Comp aTmSpectre Mountain Biking 1 July 22nd 04 12:50 AM