24 Hour Race Advice

Old August 19th 04, 06:16 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Default 24 Hour Race Advice

I'm racing in the 24 Hours of Allamuchy and I have a question about
lights. Normally, when i do a night ride I am sort of a weenie about
the dark. So, I run a Niterider Cyclone on my helmet and a storm on my
bars. Both lights are HID and rated at 3+ hours which I normally get.
Yes, two HID's pretty much create a daytime effect for me. I am worried
because if I have to do two night rides (4 man team) the batteries might
not charge fully between rides. Allamuchy is a very technical area
during the daytime, I can only imagine what it will be like at night.

So, do I invest the few hundred bucks for two more batteries (I really
didn't want to spend that much for a one time use), take the chance that
I'll have enough time to recharge, or just run one light each time?
What have you done in the past?

TIA.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 19th 04, 07:35 PM
kantspel

Ride-A-Lot wrote:

I'm racing in the 24 Hours of Allamuchy and I have a question about
lights. Normally, when i do a night ride I am sort of a weenie about
the dark. So, I run a Niterider Cyclone on my helmet and a storm on my
bars. Both lights are HID and rated at 3+ hours which I normally get.
Yes, two HID's pretty much create a daytime effect for me. I am worried
because if I have to do two night rides (4 man team) the batteries might
not charge fully between rides. Allamuchy is a very technical area
during the daytime, I can only imagine what it will be like at night.

So, do I invest the few hundred bucks for two more batteries (I really
didn't want to spend that much for a one time use), take the chance that
I'll have enough time to recharge, or just run one light each time? What
have you done in the past?

TIA.

If there are easy sections or climbs you can always turn off one light.
With the amount of candle power you're throwing around you can
certianly get away with burning only one light at slow speeds.

You should probably try riding with just one anyways, i personally don't
like too much light because at some point you start to lose shadows.
Old August 19th 04, 08:19 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2004-08-19, Ride-A-Lot penned:
I'm racing in the 24 Hours of Allamuchy and I have a question about lights.
Normally, when i do a night ride I am sort of a weenie about the dark. So,
I run a Niterider Cyclone on my helmet and a storm on my bars. Both lights
are HID and rated at 3+ hours which I normally get. Yes, two HID's pretty
much create a daytime effect for me. I am worried because if I have to do
two night rides (4 man team) the batteries might not charge fully between
rides. Allamuchy is a very technical area during the daytime, I can only
imagine what it will be like at night.

So, do I invest the few hundred bucks for two more batteries (I really
didn't want to spend that much for a one time use), take the chance that
I'll have enough time to recharge, or just run one light each time? What
have you done in the past?

I haven't done a 24 hour event, but I was reading up on them ... the
general consensus seems to be that you want that extra battery,
regardless of expense.

http://grannygear.com/Skull/index.php3?thread=3

Here's a quote:

"Lighting Gear - Make sure you have two sets of lighting gear per person
(helmet mount is most important) and a handlebar set. Also make sure you
have one spare battery. I know it is expencive, but we borrowed lights
from Light and Motion and they were supposed to recharge them for us and
they were totally unprepared and our borrowed helmet lights went out
within a mile on our second night laps and it was a real bummer. Night
Rider, however, came through and had our personally owned light
batteries good and charged. Hat's off to Night Rider (I'll forever buy
your products)."

--
monique

"Get a bicycle. You will not regret it, if you live."
-- Mark Twain
Old August 19th 04, 08:25 PM
S o r n i

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
I'm racing in the 24 Hours of Allamuchy and I have a question about
lights. Normally, when i do a night ride I am sort of a weenie about
the dark. So, I run a Niterider Cyclone on my helmet and a storm on
my bars. Both lights are HID and rated at 3+ hours which I normally
get. Yes, two HID's pretty much create a daytime effect for me. I am
worried because if I have to do two night rides (4 man team) the
batteries might not charge fully between rides. Allamuchy is a very
technical area during the daytime, I can only imagine what it will be
like at night.

So, do I invest the few hundred bucks for two more batteries (I really
didn't want to spend that much for a one time use), take the chance
that I'll have enough time to recharge, or just run one light each
time? What have you done in the past?

Isn't the Storm rated at 4 hours? (Not familiar with the Cyclone.)

Assuming "normal" 24-hour race lap times of 1:00 to 1:30 max, you should be
fine with NO charging; and, if the race is providing either NR or neutral
support, the ~4 hours inbetween your laps should be ample for...uh, amping.

Bill "BlowTorch on bars, but tempted to add a Storm to the lid (but not
/serious/ about it)" S.

Old August 19th 04, 08:25 PM
Jerry Bone Jr

Buy a $5 flashlight.

Old August 19th 04, 08:45 PM
Ride-A-Lot

S o r n i wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

[...]

It is rated at 4 hours. The cyclone was knew for 2004 and has three
settings which can give up to 6 hours, plus three backup LEDs for 15
minutes just in case.

The race will have Niterider support, but our team has a cabin with
electricity anyway.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old August 19th 04, 08:59 PM
S o r n i

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
S o r n i wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

[...]

Well la de friggin' da! Dude, you could ride for a MONTH with all the fire
power at your disposal.

Bill "you DO NOT need any backup batteries" S.

Old August 19th 04, 10:15 PM
jack

"Jerry Bone Jr" wrote in message
news
Buy a $5 flashlight.

Actually that's really good advice for several reasons.

Use the flashlight for on the trails repairs or flat changes.

Use the flashlight to walk out should the lighting system fail. Especially
with the HID systems. I ridden with riders whose HID system fails to
restart because of a cranky ballast.

Other than that just conserve the batteries on nontechnical sections.

Race Report: Eldora Escape 8/15/2004 Monique Y. Mudama Mountain Biking 51 August 18th 04 12:19 AM
24 Hr Race Sofa Unicycling 31 June 20th 04 08:31 PM
Why OR is getting 500 ccx riders-A halloween Race report Candi Murray Racing 1 November 5th 03 07:27 PM
Promoter's Lament -- from Hamilton world's site Rik Van Diesel Racing 11 July 11th 03 08:44 PM