24"/26" interchangability

Old September 19th 04, 10:07 PM
Mr_Kingkillaha

Default 24"/26" interchangability

BB Wrote:
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:03:59 GMT, SuperSlinky wrote:

May be a little lighter and a little stronger.

Except that 24" bikes are kid's bikes, and 24" wheels will most likely
be
cheaply built. I don't know if he could rebuild one with a disc hub for
26" wheel, but he'll have to since the brakes won't line up anymore.

I say go for it; he'll at least have a funny story about a really dumb
idea he had one time.

--
-BB-
To reply to me, drop the attitude (from my e-mail address, at least)

obviosly im not going to use a kids wheel. i would have the same hub,
built into a 24" rim. there are some strong 24" rims in the bmx market.
the disc would still be on the same hub, so fit is not a problem.

this was just a hypothetical question, i haven't actually bought my 26
yet. the frame im looking at (Giant STP1) does have a pretty short
wheelbase, so maybe it wont be a problem.
but if you consider that right now i am riding a bmx frame w/ 20"
wheels, 12 speed, this dumb idea could only be better than the one im
using. the 20" is awesome on the downhill, but any kind of climb is
extremely difficult.

--
Mr_Kingkillaha

Old September 20th 04, 03:03 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Mr_Kingkillaha
wrote:

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 14:03:59 GMT, SuperSlinky wrote:

[24" wheels?]

May be a little lighter and a little stronger.

Except that 24" bikes are kid's bikes, and 24" wheels will most likely
be
cheaply built. I don't know if he could rebuild one with a disc hub for
26" wheel, but he'll have to since the brakes won't line up anymore.

I say go for it; he'll at least have a funny story about a really dumb
idea he had one time.

There are dirt-jumping mountain bikes that come stock with 24" rear
wheels. Strong, high-quality 24" rims are readily available.

A highly unusual example of a 24" mountain-ish bike:

http://norco.com/bikes/2004bikes/four20.htm

A full-suspension singlespeed 24" dirt jumper. Note the unusual combo of
disc brakes and a gyro. It is fair to assume that the Alex rims on this
bicycle are really tough.

--
Ryan Cousineau, http://www.wiredcola.com
Verus de parvis; verus de magnis.