2006 Shimano XTR

Old March 23rd 05, 02:00 PM
routebeer

Default 2006 Shimano XTR

Betcha the new cranks will go carbon.

Old March 23rd 05, 02:36 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

routebeer wrote:
Betcha the new cranks will go carbon.

What makes you say that?

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Old March 23rd 05, 02:49 PM

routebeer wrote:
Betcha the new cranks will go carbon.

betcha they don't, and won't for years.

/s

Old March 23rd 05, 02:58 PM
Nelson @ International Bicycle

"routebeer" wrote in message
oups.com...
Betcha the new cranks will go carbon.

Despite the fact they could not give me a clear answer as to why, Shimano
made the statement at a dealer's meeting that they would not be doing a
carbon crank in the near future. We will likely see refinements of the
Hollowtech II system for several years.

They took my relay of my customer's displeasure with "Low Normal" (Rapid
Rise) as a personal insult.

Old March 23rd 05, 03:19 PM
Ride-A-Lot

Nelson @ International Bicycle wrote:

They took my relay of my customer's displeasure with "Low Normal" (Rapid
Rise) as a personal insult.

Exactly why I moved to SRAM.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old March 23rd 05, 04:29 PM
routebeer

Nelson @ International Bicycle wrote:

Despite the fact they could not give me a clear answer as to why,

Shimano
made the statement at a dealer's meeting that they would not be doing

carbon crank in the near future. We will likely see refinements of

the
Hollowtech II system for several years.

Anyone at NOVA see the new XTR stuff? Shimano were testing it there.

That's interesting, Nelson. I saw an article on cyclingnews where a
Shimano mech. saw some of the 06 XTR stuff and all he could say was
that the shifters, pedals and cranks are going on a diet. I figured,
how could he possible know that the cranks would be lighter without
something obvious like carbon fiber (or holed to look like swiss
cheese). It's not like he was able to pull them and weigh them. The
XTR cranks already are significantly more flexible than the XT ones, so
I just hope they will be able to lighten them AND keep or improve the
arm/spindle stiffness. Besides, at $500 a pop, there should be zero
compromises.

You know Shimano will have to start incorporating carbon into the
Dura-Ace line. It's the only way they can 'compete' with Record.
First 10 speed, now carbon... It's just a matter of time. XTR will
lead or follow the development (with in the ranks of Shimano's product
line).

Did you happen to ask if they will be going to ten speed on XTR? I
figure how else will they be able to keep SRAM at bay than through
innovation.

10 speed is not far off:
http://tinyurl.com/5dwrq

Old March 23rd 05, 04:48 PM
Nelson @ International Bicycle

"routebeer" wrote ...
Did you happen to ask if they will be going to ten speed on XTR? I
figure how else will they be able to keep SRAM at bay than through
innovation.

10 speed is not far off:
http://tinyurl.com/5dwrq

As a matter of fact somebody did. Their answer, at the time, was along the
lines that they did not believe that a drivetrain system with such narrow
tolerances were appropriate for off-road rigors. We'll have to see. I'm
willing to bet we will see 10 speed (especially since they once said the
same thing about 8 speed.)

Old March 23rd 05, 06:22 PM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Nelson @ International Bicycle wrote:
"routebeer" wrote ...
Did you happen to ask if they will be going to ten speed on XTR? I
figure how else will they be able to keep SRAM at bay than through
innovation.

10 speed is not far off:
http://tinyurl.com/5dwrq

As a matter of fact somebody did. Their answer, at the time, was
along the lines that they did not believe that a drivetrain system
with such narrow tolerances were appropriate for off-road rigors.
We'll have to see. I'm willing to bet we will see 10 speed
(especially since they once said the same thing about 8 speed.)

The only real problem with non-crashing, non-stick-into-derailleur/spoking
riders is that the cable and housing have too much friction even after a
tiny bit of wet riding. To eliminate that, one would have to go to a sealed
hydraulic system. If Shimano does this, hopefully they will make the whole
system really expensive and the hoses weak so that they spontaneously
explode on people, and everyone will call the whole thing Octalink V1 Redux.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training