Pity the poor French...

Old July 4th 06, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Default Pity the poor French...

Sandy wrote:
Bob Martin a écrit :
"Tom Kunich" wrote:

middle of the street and just stared at each other in shock at seeing
another cyclist in France.

My son has just spent two weeks cycling in Provence.
He said there were cyclists everywhere.

Not to worry. We ride. TK is not abstracted from reality. He is just
writing silly lies to draw attention to himself. A modest personality
disorder, cured by removing the keyboard.

Removing TK's keyboard from what orifice?

Old July 4th 06, 10:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article .com,
" wrote:

Sandy wrote:
Bob Martin a écrit :
"Tom Kunich" wrote:

middle of the street and just stared at each other in shock at seeing
another cyclist in France.

My son has just spent two weeks cycling in Provence.
He said there were cyclists everywhere.

Not to worry. We ride. TK is not abstracted from reality. He is just
writing silly lies to draw attention to himself. A modest personality
disorder, cured by removing the keyboard.

Removing TK's keyboard from what orifice?

Removing his cranium from his orifice might be even more helpful.

--
tanx,
Howard

Never take a tenant with a monkey.

remove YOUR SHOES to reply, ok?
Old July 4th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Sandy wrote:
Bob Martin a écrit :
in 511338 20060703 232825 "Tom Kunich" wrote:

And this has NOTHING to do with drugs and EVERYTHING to do with the fact
that the French simply do not bicycle anymore. Totaly aside from my own
experiences there I can cite a man who toured around France for 6 months. In
a town near the Mediterranean he said that while riding through a townhe
saw another cyclist and that they were both so surprised they stopped in the
middle of the street and just stared at each other in shock at seeing
another cyclist in France.

My son has just spent two weeks cycling in Provence.
He said there were cyclists everywhere.

Not to worry. We ride. TK is not abstracted from reality. He is just
writing silly lies to draw attention to himself. A modest personality
disorder, cured by removing the keyboard.

Close, but not quite right. TK takes silly positions to draw attention
to himself. The silly lies are then needed to support the silly
positions.

BTW, I saw very many cyclists when I was in France last year, but any
time I spoke to one, they turned out to be either German or Dutch. I
quickly stopped assuming that the guys riding Treks in full
Postal/Discovery kit were Americans.

Bret

Old July 4th 06, 11:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article .com,
"Bret" wrote:

TK takes silly positions to draw attention to himself.

Regarding the need for attention: like all the times he's posted (and not just in
this forum) lists of the bikes in his garage.

Old July 4th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Bob Martin" wrote in message
in 511338 20060703 232825 "Tom Kunich" wrote:

And this has NOTHING to do with drugs and EVERYTHING to do with the fact
that the French simply do not bicycle anymore. Totaly aside from my own
experiences there I can cite a man who toured around France for 6 months.
In
a town near the Mediterranean he said that while riding through a town he
saw another cyclist and that they were both so surprised they stopped in
the
middle of the street and just stared at each other in shock at seeing
another cyclist in France.

My son has just spent two weeks cycling in Provence.
He said there were cyclists everywhere.

In 2001 I spent three weeks in July in France. Two weeks around Dijon and up
to Lausanne and back through Basancon - out to Lyon and the final week in
Paris.

Inland I didn't see one single bicycle in two weeks save a couple of farmers
riding down the road to another field pulling trailers with hand tools in
them. There were a few bike shops but they were combination bike-motorcycle
shops and had only a couple of bicycles in the place.

In Paris I managed to find three bicycle shops. Not one of them had anything
that I'd call an upper end road bike in stock though the one out in
northeastern section that had some moderate priced road bikes from the
French conglomerate with if memory serves the Mercier name upon them. Not a
bad bike but in just about any California bike shop you'd find three times
as many bikes and at least several high end frames around the place.

There were some sort of "bicycle tours" that started down near the Eiffel
Tower in the mornings. The used mountain bikes and rode very slowly about
the central section of Paris.

I didn't see an upper level road bike until the day before the Tour ended in
Paris. Then on the morning of the final stage, which was a circuit race
inside of Paris, there was some sort of group ride around the closed course
before the race started. In the US there would have been hundreds if not
thousands on such a ride. In Paris I observed perhaps a hundred cyclists
maximum and only a small percentage of those were serious looking cyclists
with good equipment.

During the race I sat in a square at Picpus which was the top of the
circuit. I was with a man from Britany and had a conversation with him about
the lack of bicyclists I'd noticed. He AGREED that there were few cyclist in
France save in the Britany region.

As a contrast, when I went up to Lausanne there were bike lanes along the
lake and there were THOUSANDS of cyclists riding in an almost continuous
stream one way or the other around the lake. And a VERY large percentage -
perhaps half - were new TOP END bicycles, many Colnagos, and most of the
rest were much older but still top of the line for their time cycles.

Three weeks isn't a long time and the Côte d'Azur in July isn't densely
populated but nevertheless I saw far more cyclists in Switzerland in 10
minutes than in three weeks in France.

By the way - L'Equipe special that July wasn't on the tour - it was on
football! When I asked for a copy of the newpaper L'Equipe the vendor would
talk about football and football only. When I mentioned cycling they would
often be at a loss. Even more telling was when I asked about L'Tour they
would look around and ask "what tower?"

Old July 5th 06, 12:12 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Tom Kunich" wrote in message
ink.net...
"Bob Martin" wrote in message
[...]

ROTFL. No wonder you can't come up with support for your Merckx 1973
assertion. Your reality is delusional.

Old July 5th 06, 01:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Tom Kunich wrote:
[nutbar stuff that I've snipped]

Tom also believes that McCarthy had lists, we needed to invade Iraq to
protect the US from WMDs, global warming is a left-wing conspiracy, aero
equipment doesn't have any benefit, and that Bush is competent.

Old July 5th 06, 03:02 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

In article , "Robert Chung"
wrote:

Tom Kunich wrote:
[nutbar stuff that I've snipped]

Tom also believes that McCarthy had lists, we needed to invade Iraq to
protect the US from WMDs, global warming is a left-wing conspiracy, aero
equipment doesn't have any benefit, and that Bush is competent.

You say that like it's a bad thing.

Old July 6th 06, 01:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

"Robert Chung" wrote in message
Tom Kunich wrote:
[nutbar stuff that I've snipped]

Tom also believes that McCarthy had lists, we needed to invade Iraq to
protect the US from WMDs, global warming is a left-wing conspiracy, aero
equipment doesn't have any benefit, and that Bush is competent.

Does this therefore mean that you don't believe that:

1) McCarthy had lists?
2) Iraq had WMD?
3) Global warming is man-made?
4) Aero equipment is worth the expense to a beginning racer?
5) You're competent to judge Bush's competence?

This ought to be really interesting if you have the guts to answer.

Old July 6th 06, 07:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing

Tom Kunich wrote:
[nutbar stuff that I've snipped]

Tom also believes that McCarthy had lists, we needed to invade Iraq to
protect the US from WMDs, global warming is a left-wing conspiracy,
aero equipment doesn't have any benefit, and that Bush is competent.

Does this therefore mean that you don't believe that:

1) McCarthy had lists?
2) Iraq had WMD?
3) Global warming is man-made?
4) Aero equipment is worth the expense to a beginning racer?
5) You're competent to judge Bush's competence?

This ought to be really interesting if you have the guts to answer.

Hmmm. I think your response shows that I was pretty accurate in my
description of your beliefs.