Drop bar shapes for new brake levers

Old January 10th 08, 10:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Donald Gillies

Default Drop bar shapes for new brake levers

Hank writes:

On Jan 10, 12:18=A0pm, "Tom Nakashima" wrote:

Well they do resemble the Cinelli Model 64 - Giro d'Italia shallow drop
bar and that's pretty classic.
-tom- Hide quoted text -

Maybe in finish, but the shape of the Cinelli 64 is a thing unto
itself, really. No reach, not much drop to speak of. They were nice
when I had Mafac or AGC250s on them, but were completely useless with
Ergos.

======================================

I agree about Cinelli 64 Giro D'Italia bars. No reach, no drop, no
rearward extension, but enough slant/ramp on the tops that my favorite
position (right above the hoods) slants down too quickly for comfort.

These bars would work great on a Schwinn Varsity, where everyone keeps
their hands on the tops, to operate the Dia Compe brake-lever
extensions. The other 5 positions suck.

These Cinelli bars did have nice engravings (until columbus bought
cinelli, and screwed that up, too!) I have Cinelli 64's on one bike,
which is too many.

A minor way to improve them is to add barcons, increasing the rearward
extension. Then, 2 out of 6 hand positions are good.

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA, USA