OT -- Decline of a noble language: raise your hand if you're innocent

Old February 29th 08, 12:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,rec.bicycles.tech,rec.bicycles.misc
Andre Jute

Default OT -- Decline of a noble language: raise your hand if you'reinnocent

On Feb 26, 10:19*pm, JNugent wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
On Feb 26, 6:58 pm, JNugent wrote:
Tom Ace wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:
I agree with you, Andrew, people should write better English than
"languages degrade". Languages degrade what? What does languages
degrade? No, I think you mean that someone degrades the language. So
let's rewrite in simple and direct English without the solecisms:
Degrade is in standard use as an intransitive verb.
Not as "standard" as the correct word: "deteriorate".
In normal everyday English usage in England, "degrade" is a transitive
verb. As a purported intransitive verb, it sounds American-military and
decidedly non-standard.

You jumped in while I was still wondering whether it is politically
correct these days to describe a usage as "undesirable American
military jargon replacing perfectly good words offering greater
clarity of meaning".
Andre Jute
Is it only the non-anglophones who now respect the English language?

You'll find a lot of Anglophones respecting and debating the English
language over on alt.usage.english

Thanks. I went to look. I was embarrassed because they all speak too
good for me.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/THE%20WRITER'S%20HOUSE.html

WTH: Noble House II ?? Steve Racing 4 November 6th 05 02:10 AM
Laguna (Not Noble) ~Video~ Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 7 July 25th 05 04:10 PM
RR: A Noble Day Ride-A-Lot Mountain Biking 12 July 22nd 05 05:30 PM
Noble Canyon ~VIDEO~ Bill Porter Mountain Biking 22 January 23rd 04 12:28 PM