Celeste green - urban myth ?

Old October 11th 04, 12:10 PM
Andrew Price

Default Celeste green - urban myth ?

Friend just bought a new Bianchi (mostly) in the traditional colour and I
started to recount the coffee shop story of how the colour was said have
originated and Bianchi's dedication to its continuity.

Except that, I had never seen any "official" history anywhere of the story,
told often with a mixture of affection and wry humour - is there a source on
the web recounting how it came to be - tried a google search but no luck.

Appreciate any reliable sources - best, Andrew

Old October 11th 04, 12:22 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

Except that, I had never seen any "official" history anywhere of the story,
told often with a mixture of affection and wry humour - is there a source on
the web recounting how it came to be - tried a google search but no luck.

Appreciate any reliable sources - best, Andrew

The official Bianchi version can be found here

http://gianni.bianchiusa.com/2002/site/general/bianchi/

"The exact origin and birth date of Celeste is lost in time and conflicting
legend. Whether Edoardo Bianchi saw Celeste as the color of the sky over Milan,
or whether he saw it as the color of Queen Margherita’s eyes; whether it was
a carefully formulated shade of blue-green or the bargain purchase of some
surplus paint; it depends on which legend you chose to believe."

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old October 11th 04, 10:59 PM
Andrew Price

Helen wrote -

The official Bianchi version can be found here
http://gianni.bianchiusa.com/2002/site/general/bianchi/
"The exact origin and birth date of Celeste is lost in time and

conflicting
legend. Whether Edoardo Bianchi saw Celeste as the color of the sky over

Milan,
or whether he saw it as the color of Queen Margherita's eyes; whether it

was
a carefully formulated shade of blue-green or the bargain purchase of some
surplus paint; it depends on which legend you chose to believe."

Thanks Helen.

I think perhaps a touch of censorship/PR/PC was applied in that Official
History to spoil a great story that was very human and altogether Italian.

I'll stick with the colour of the undergarments of the famous lady, until a
better story emerges.

best, Andrew (remove .x1 to reply)

Old October 12th 04, 02:44 AM
David L. Johnson

On Tue, 12 Oct 2004 00:18:18 +0000, Hunrobe wrote:

Color preferences are very much personal preferences. My own theory is
that the color's originator was trying to match vomit. The resemblance is
just too close to discount the possibility.

[Personal jibe aimed at "Mike Yankee"]
See, John, I'm not the only one who thinks it looks like cat puke!

I've owned a number of old houses, and there was a time that trim tended
to be painted in this color. It didn't look any better on my woodwork
than it does on a frame.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | It is a scientifically proven fact that a mid life crisis can
_`\(,_ | only be cured by something racy and Italian. Bianchis and
(_)/ (_) | Colnagos are a lot cheaper than Maserattis and Ferraris. --
Glenn Davies

Old October 12th 04, 03:00 AM
Blair P. Houghton

Hunrobe wrote:
Color preferences are very much personal preferences. My own theory is that the
color's originator was trying to match vomit. The resemblance is just too close
to discount the possibility.

You must be eating nothing but kiwi-flavored carbo gel...

--Blair
"Otherwise, it isn't."
Old October 12th 04, 03:56 AM
Leo Lichtman

"Blair P. Houghton" wrote: You must be eating nothing but kiwi-flavored
carbo gel...
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I guess this thread is technically still on topic. Sometimes, off topic
would be preferable. G

Old October 12th 04, 05:11 AM
Andrew Price

Bob wrote -

Bike frames though tend to remain their original color for their entire

life. Bummer.

After finding a really good LBS, I suggest the next most important quest is
a good frame painter.

Amazing how a coat of paint improves the ride qualities of an old bike. If
your brazen or mischievous enough and have access to some fashionable decals
you can get away for a time with some Really Big Fibs about what the "new"
bike is.

Andrew

Old October 12th 04, 07:08 AM
Resound

Am I the only person here who actually likes that sort of pale
turquoiseish colour? I'm actually considering deliberately painting a
frame that colour, and I didn't know about Bianchi. (noob cyclist) If
the colour offends that many people, I may have to...umm...paint the
rest of the bike that colour or something.

--
Resound