Petacchi wins

Old September 9th 03, 09:27 PM
Isidor Gunsberg

Default Petacchi wins

Steve McGinty wrote in message . ..
On Tue, 09 Sep 2003 04:11:21 GMT, "Steven L. Sheffield"
wrote:

On 09/08/2003 01:11 PM, in article
, "Steve McGinty"
wrote:

On Mon, 8 Sep 2003 17:39:23 +0200, "trg"
wrote:

,Petacchi became only the third rider in history to win stages in all three
grand tours in the same season and the first to do it since 1958.

But who has the most GT stage wins in one season?

Freddy Maertens got 13 in one Vuelta alone ...

In 1977 - in addition to 7 TdF stages.

Regards!
Stephen

Does anybody know where one can find some detailed biographical
information on Freddy Maertens? In particular, I'm curious as to why
he turned out to be a one year wonder? Did he get caught up in a
scandal? Did he suffer from injury?
Old September 9th 03, 09:42 PM
Steve McGinty

wrote:

,Petacchi became only the third rider in history to win stages in all three
grand tours in the same season and the first to do it since 1958.

But who has the most GT stage wins in one season?

Freddy Maertens got 13 in one Vuelta alone ...

In 1977 - in addition to 7 TdF stages.

Oops - thats 7 Giro stages isn't it? - 8 TdF stages the year before.

Regards!
Stephen
Old September 9th 03, 09:47 PM
Steve McGinty

Does anybody know where one can find some detailed biographical
information on Freddy Maertens? In particular, I'm curious as to why
he turned out to be a one year wonder? Did he get caught up in a
scandal? Did he suffer from injury?

Freddy Maertens a one year wonder? Where do you get that from?

http://townsleyb.members.beeb.net/procycle/maertenf.htm

Regards!
Stephen
Old September 9th 03, 11:00 PM
Stewart Fleming

Isidor Gunsberg wrote:

Does anybody know where one can find some detailed biographical
information on Freddy Maertens? In particular, I'm curious as to why
he turned out to be a one year wonder? Did he get caught up in a
scandal? Did he suffer from injury?

Sean Kelly once said that Freddy Maertens was the best bike rider ever.

Old September 10th 03, 03:30 AM
Fred Marx

Considering he hauled himself over a cat 1 climb the stage before, it's
encouraging. There's certainly ugly to follow, and if he hangs in there
even Zabel may start thinking about retirement.

nah Peta will become the next Cipo without the behavioral abnormalities,
ie he'll actually get on his bike and race, while Zabel will morph into
a one day/stage winner.

Old September 10th 03, 08:56 AM
David N. Welton

"Sonarrat" writes:

More to the point do you think he will decide to work as hard on
his tan as another Itialian sprinter and just turn up to ride
the flats and then **** off to somewhere warmer... or he tries
to develop into a Zabel type.

Did you follow the Giro d'Italia at all?

He was eliminated, along with the rest in the group he was in at the
time, after suffering through many brutal mountain stages.

He was just a few stages away from the end of the Giro, and fought
like hell to finish the stage, and certainly didn't drop out just
because he was not having a good day.

Didn't he say he wasn't feeling well during the Tour?

He along with the rest of the team caught a bout of something nasty,
supposedly. *I* certainly wouldn't want to have Ferretti mad at me
because of an excuse that wasn't true with half a season to go.

I don't think there's any danger of another Cipo here. Petacchi is
too modest, and practically each time he wins, he says he can't
believe it...

He has also finished grand tours before, including the Tour de France
(2001), and the Vuelta.

--
David N. Welton
Consulting: http://www.dedasys.com/
Old September 10th 03, 05:33 PM
benjo maso

"Isidor Gunsberg" wrote in message
m...

Does anybody know where one can find some detailed biographical

information on Freddy Maertens? In particular, I'm curious as to why
he turned out to be a one year wonder? Did he get caught up in a
scandal? Did he suffer from injury?

Maertens published his memoires: "Niet van horen zeggen". It seems to be
translated in English. The book is making quite clear why Maertens' career
was relatively short: the professional cycling world is very tough and he
just wasn't equal to it. In his prime he was surrounded by people who were
supporting him as long as he was making a lot of money and they could
squeeze him dry (Maertens is very naive and more or less illiterate). As
soon as he was on his own, he was completely lost. Of course he lost all his
money, and he is now attendant in a cycling museum. Nevertheless, a good
friend of his told me last month that Maertens is probably happier than
ever. After all, because he doesn't have a dime, nobody is trying to take
advantage of him anymore.

Benjo Maso

Old September 10th 03, 09:38 PM
Dashi Toshii

"benjo maso" wrote in message
Maertens published his memoires: "Niet van horen zeggen". It seems to be
translated in English. The book is making quite clear why Maertens' career
was relatively short: the professional cycling world is very tough and he
just wasn't equal to it. In his prime he was surrounded by people who were
supporting him as long as he was making a lot of money and they could
squeeze him dry (Maertens is very naive and more or less illiterate). As
soon as he was on his own, he was completely lost. Of course he lost all

his
money, and he is now attendant in a cycling museum. Nevertheless, a good
friend of his told me last month that Maertens is probably happier than
ever. After all, because he doesn't have a dime, nobody is trying to take
advantage of him anymore.

That's sad, kind of like what Don King does to his boxers that he promotes.

Dashii