Stumpjumper FSR Disc or TREK Fuel 90 disc????

Old November 19th 03, 11:42 PM
peterjd66

Default Stumpjumper FSR Disc or TREK Fuel 90 disc????

News.Datacom.Ch wrote:
Good morning!
I am in between a rock and a hard place! Being a TREK rider for almost 8
years (totally unsuspended TREK 8000 bike) I am about to buy a fully.
At the moment I am checking out a/m bikes. Who can give me some advice?
Does anyone ride one of them and has terrain experience?
Looking forward to your answers
Greets
Swiss rider

I just upgraded my C'Dale f400 hardtail to a 2003 Trek Fuel 90 (non
disc) - I was surprised how well the Fuel climbed, in fact I would say
it climbed better than my hardtail. Downhill just flies and the Fox
really sucks up the gnarly terrain. I can bunnyhop much better on the
Fuel and find myself trying to get as much air as I can. Have not tried
a big drop but this isn't a freeride bike. I have one small suggestion
about the disc brakes - everyone swears by them and I have tried the
Hayes but after talking to a few people they suggested going with the
Avid SD7's V-brakes and of course I was truly skeptical until I tried
them out. They were a fantastic upgrade and worth the paltry price I
paid (under $80 Cdn). I find the stopping power in these to be as good
as the discs I tried but not as great when wet although they still work
great wet - also, the dial levers are awesome and I can stop from any
speed fast with one finger - hence the name "single digit". V-brakes are
lighter than disc or mechs and a few hundred dead presidents cheaper.
Just my 2 cents worth.