Today Equipe"s Editorial

Old September 11th 05, 02:03 AM
D. Ferguson

Default Today Equipe"s Editorial

On 10 Sep 2005 14:52:20 -0700, "Kurgan Gringioni"
wrote:

Sandy wrote:

Cheating, not biochemistry, is the part of
competition that makes this no longer a sport.

Dumbass -

You've got your head up your ass.

Biochemistry is now a part of *all* professional sports and has been
for quite some time. Cycling is not unique in this regard.

thanks,

K. Gringioni.

And the more you win, the more you are going to be in the spotlight
regarding biochemistry.

Either get used to it or get a new line of work.

Old September 11th 05, 07:17 AM

Montesquiou wrote:
LES NEGATIONS DE L'UCI

The today editorial of l'Equipe. (september 10 2005)

Sorry but in french ; may be someone can help in the translation

Droussent must have written this in a hurry, cause it isn't much of an
exercice de style. Maybe it's another indication of the superiority of
French culture that good writers don't become sports writers.

SEVENTEEN DAYS.

Seventeen days, from tuesday August 23rd until yesterday, friday
September 9th: that's how long it took the UCI and its president, Hein
Verbruggen, to respond to the Equipe's revelations that EPO, a
heavy-duty doping product banned since the early 90s, was present in
six different urine samples taken from Lance Armstrong which had been
preserved since the 1999 Tour de France.

It's not unreasonable, since Lance Armstrong is after all merely the
winner of the last seven Tour de France, and as such hold the record
for the most prestigious and the signature event of the sport of
bicycle racing, of which the UCI is the governing body. And the
evidence published in the Equipe of August 23 didn't show anything
vitally important: only that Armstrong had cheated to win his first
Tour de France, and that throughout his career he had lied in asserting
that he had never consummed any doping products in the exercise of his
profession.

Was such information worth enough to make the UCI and its president
ponder fundamental questions on the rules and ethics of sport, and on
the key issue: did Lance Armstrong cheat or lie? Of course not. The
UCI and Mr. Verbruggen have other worries: who are responsible for this
new attack on the integrity of bike racing and its foremost champion?
Who leaked information that was supposed to remain confidential? By
what right does Richard Pound, the president of the World Anti Doping
Agency, express an opinion on the subject, etc?

The attitude of the Union cycliste internationale has often perplexed
us as to its prioritization of struggles. This time, we're confounded.
Hein Verbruggen himself conceded, with a touch of fatalism, in the
pages of yesterday's Figaro newspaper: "I already know there will be
criticisms claiming that we are only attacking the procedure."

Yes, when it comes to the Armstrong dossier, one can legitimately
accuse the UCI and Mr. Verbruggen of not caring about the future of
their sport, which is surely faced with serious trouble.

Along the way, needless to say, they have also called into question the
rigor and the objectivity of the Equipe's work. Our readers will juge.
It's well known, of course: doping isn't an abomination among the
peloton, but in the pages of newspapers.

Claude Droussent

Old September 14th 05, 10:44 AM
Donald Munro

B. Lafferty wrote:
Indeed. And Droussent is correct, the essential question is, "Lance
Armstrong a-t-il triché ou menti ?"

Tim Lines wrote:
In much the same way that the essential question is "Who really killed
Nicole Simpson?"

Lafferty's grandfather (mother's side).

Great ride today? jj General 0 June 12th 05 05:29 AM
Unless my fingers fell off - I was going to ride today! Ken General 13 May 15th 05 07:32 PM
Another good ride today MSeries UK 8 February 7th 05 08:48 PM
Unicyclist invasion .. today was f-in awsem ben_unruh Unicycling 16 January 23rd 05 09:42 PM
There were some great views today MSeries UK 1 November 14th 04 08:20 AM