'Mr Loophole' says children shouldn't be allowed to cycle on the road

Old August 9th 20, 08:00 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Mason[_6_]

Default 'Mr Loophole' says children shouldn't be allowed to cycle on the road

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 7:49:57 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

I passed the cycling proficiency test in the primary school playground at the age of 9. Does that qualify me to supervise cyclists?

I passed two. One at school and one in the scouts.
I passed a motorcycle and car test with no lessons or training though.
Old August 9th 20, 11:45 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 09/08/2020 19:49, Mike Collins wrote:

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 19:13:44 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 09/08/2020 16:29, Mike Collins wrote:
On Saturday, 8 August 2020 11:17:57 UTC+1, Simon Mason wrote:
What a sad man he is.
QUOTE:
When asked about privacy issues regarding the identification of people on bikes - as opposed to the identification of vehicles rather than motorists when it comes to cars - Freeman claimed that there needs to be a debate over "the age young children are in fact safe to ride on the roads."

He continued: "I think below a certain age they would have to be accompanied by a responsible adult who has passed a proficiency test."

A spokesperson for Cycling UK told road.cc: "What a cruel world that would be if kids could only ride with adults! Yet again we see the real risk ignored, which is the danger motor traffic can present."

Freeman agreed that motorists are "the greatest risk" on the roads, but insisted they are accountable: "If a motorist commits an offence and goes through, for example, a red light, the registered keeper receives a section 172 notice. If he doesn't comply with that he'll be prosecuted for failing to give the information, he'll in fact receive 6 penalty points or disqualification upon conviction. His insurance premiums will rocket.

"I don't object to a similar system for cyclists, but I think it would just logistically work more sensibly if we identified the cyclists rather than the bike."

We're not sure if Mr Freeman has tried to report a motorist running a red light to the authorities recently, but we'd hazard a guess that it probably won't result in six penalty points for the driver based on your testimony alone...

https://road.cc/content/news/cycling...st-2020-276261

No mention of child pedestrians being accompanied by an adult who has passed a walking test.

Is there such a thing as a walking test?

Maybe there should be combined with compulsory walking insurance and number plates. Apart from speeding and red light jumping by 'law abiding' drivers most crimes are committed by pedestrians.
Mandatory walking helmets would also reduce the burden on the NHS.

That is obviously your way of saying: "No, there is no such thing as the
'walking test' I foolishly suggested as a qualification for adults
supervising children on footways in an effort to try to devalue the
sensible suggestion of that nice Mr Freeman in respect of child-safety
on bicycles"?

There *is* such a thing as a cycling test.

It used to be called the cycling profiency test but in these days of
quantification and standardisation, it's probably called - appropriately
enough - a BS-something-or-other.

[Or maybe an ISO-something or other.]

So you are posting from ignorance as usual.

I certainly haven't kept up with the evolution of the cycling
proficiency test, if that's what you mean.

But you ought to look up British Standards and the International
Organization for Standardization [sic]. Only when you're old enough to
understand them, of course.

I passed the cycling proficiency test in the primary school playground at the age of 9.

I confess to a certain amount of surprise that it was still operating as
recently as two years ago, but thanks for the information.
Old August 9th 20, 11:50 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_12_]

On 09/08/2020 20:00, Simon Mason wrote:

On Sunday, August 9, 2020 at 7:49:57 PM UTC+1, Mike Collins wrote:

I passed the cycling proficiency test in the primary school playground at the age of 9. Does that qualify me to supervise cyclists?

I passed two. One at school and one in the scouts.
I passed a motorcycle and car test with no lessons or training though.

Perhaps if you'd *had* some driving lessons and training, you'd have
understood that it is not only illegal but also completely stupid to
attempt a drive across a continent with an unroadworthy vehicle.

As what is perhaps a far-fetched example, the unroadworthiness might
take the form of non-functioning windscreen-wipers. But as we all know,
nobody sensible would try that just to save a few bob on the cost of
repairs, would they?

Well, probably not unless they were eager to get home with enough money
left to be able to sink a few beers in a hole in the floor of their
domestic garage.
Old August 10th 20, 01:08 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mike Collins

On Sunday, 9 August 2020 23:44:23 UTC+1, JNugent wrote:
On 09/08/2020 19:49, Mike Collins wrote:

I passed the cycling proficiency test in the primary school playground at the age of 9.

I confess to a certain amount of surprise that it was still operating as
recently as two years ago, but thanks for the information.

Har! Har! Har! and indeed Har!. I think it's time we promoted you to a halfwit.