Front suspension

Old July 9th 03, 04:02 PM
rh

Default Front suspension

I have an older mountain bike without front suspension. Can anyone
recommend front suspension for a Trek 950?

Old July 9th 03, 05:02 PM
Carla A-G

"rh" wrote in message
I have an older mountain bike without front suspension. Can anyone
recommend front suspension for a Trek 950?

What size is the headtube? How old is the bike?

- CA-G

Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

Old July 10th 03, 12:21 PM
Bill Wheeler

On Wed, 9 Jul 2003 17:02:45 +0200, "rh" wrote:

I have an older mountain bike without front suspension. Can anyone
recommend front suspension for a Trek 950?

How about a fatter, taller front tire.

Peace,
Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]
Old July 10th 03, 04:01 PM
KLydesdale

"John Morgan" wrote in message

"michal" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 09 Jul 2003 17:02:45 +0200, rh wrote:

I have an older mountain bike without front suspension. Can anyone
recommend front suspension for a Trek 950?

anything from Fox

Fox makes awesome suspension... but for a Trek 950, don't you think that's
overkill? I mean, the fork would cost more than the bike is worth...
perhaps even twice as much as it's worth. I mean, let's be realistic

here.

I dunno... Trek made some pretty decent steel frames and if he likes the
bike and is comfortable on it, a good fork won't go to waste on a Trek 950.
I put a Marzocchi Z2 Atom Bomb on a Trek 930 a couple of years back. It was
one of the best things I ever did MTB-wise. When I cracked the seat-tube on
that frame, Trek sent me a new warranty replacement. It's the bike I ride
the most right now. (Oh, and I was running a 2.4 tire up front when I did
this.)

Also consider that if he does invest in the fork, it can be transferred to
another bike especially if he includes a few spacers on the steerer tube.
I'd recommend is sticking with a fork that has 85mm of travel or less.
Anything higher will screw with that bike's geometry too much making it a
slug when it comes to steering.

rh- what you need is a good used fork or an entry level new fork. You can
easily score one for under $100. If you go used, check ebay... and make
sure the steerer tube is long enough for your frame (it needs to be about

2
inches longer than your head tube).

Another thing to consider is... is your bike set up with a threadless
headset and v-brakes? If you have a threaded headset you will need to
change that out for a threadless one (about $20 if you get a Tange), and a
clamp style stem (about another $10-20). If you have center pull brakes

on
the front, you may need to upgrade to side pull v-brakes since most
suspension forks don't have a cable stop built in.

Good points. But even with the added cost of the threadless stem and
headset and v-brake upgrade, I still think i suspension fork was worth doing
to my Trek cro-moly frames.