Disc Brakes...

Old July 8th 03, 02:34 PM
Alan McClure

Default Disc Brakes...

"John Harlow" wrote in message
I'm not so sure disc are a good idea for long steep descents. I have

them
(Hayes) and frankly the small rotors don't have enough surface area to
dissipate the heat. They burn up while the rim brake riders have no
problem. This seems to be the one (infrequent at least in my case )
downside with discs. Once they get superheated they seem to severely

loose
effectiveness too.

You might have marginally better luck with larger (8 inch) rotors.

What?! Must be those 'Comp' level brakes. ;^) No problems with my 8in
Hayes Mags or 5 1/4" Hope Minis.

Wow. Apparently I am the only one to have ever had this happen. But
careening down a narrow mountain hillside with a rapidly approaching
switchback and a fistfull of brake lever fading to virtual nothingness got
my attention.

BTW, it wasn't the comps either - it was the stock ones on the Giant.

Yeah, I don't know, my Hayes Mag on the front wheel has been perfect, and I
even use far less rear brake with it that I used to with my v-brake. So I
don't know what the deal is.

A.

Old July 8th 03, 04:16 PM
Small Black Dog

I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty aggresive
cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical trails

ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem is
that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1

pad
will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit after

long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input

on.
Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.

Thanks for any help on this topic.

TJ

Simply put, avoid hope like the plague. They look nice but are absolutely
****e.

Small Black "i detest my Hope m4 setup" Dog

Old July 8th 03, 04:38 PM
Shaun Rimmer

Small Black Dog wrote in message
[...]

I have a Hope Mini, and it works excellently. The DH racer in our MTB club
uses Hope (4 pot ones, not sure which) and loves them - no probs. One of the
other 'extreem' (heh) guys in the club uses them (same as me, the Mini) for
DH and trials, and recommended them to me in the first place. In fact, half
of the disc brake users in the bloody club use them and _none_ have reported
anything but great, hassle free performance. WTF is wrong with _your_ Hopes
that's convinced you they are all '****e'?

Shaun aRe

Old July 8th 03, 04:49 PM
spademan o---[\) *

[...]

http://www.twistedmonkey.org/images/...8f048aeff7c083
92b12c3.jpg

Old July 8th 03, 08:33 PM
John Harlow

Sounds like they might need a bleed. Do they "pump up" after repeatedly
squeazing ?

They've never been soft and have never pumped up - they're tight on the
first squeeze. As all this was going on the lever pressure remained
consistent - only the friggin bike wasn't stopping! I have never seen a
leak and the system has not been opened or otherwise touched. The only think
I've ever done was replace the pads.

I attributed this to severe fade as they had gotten almost red hot.
Stopping and letting them cool helped greatly - but not completely.

I'm leaning more towards Chris' theory of contamination - but not sure of
the source (I checked the forks - no leaks). The strange thing was it
manifested itself at the most inopportune moment.

I have another bike which leaked fork oil on the brake pads - the effects of
that were quite obvious.

Old July 9th 03, 02:00 AM
KSlater

Get larger rotors (preferably the XT 8 Inch ones). The larger rotars have
more cooling area and the XT rotors have more cooling holes. Also try an
aftermarket disc. Hayes 8 inch DH Purple do a better job of keeping cool.
but any steel will heat up eventually and the DH Purple are rather heavy
compared to some other discs.

Frank

Old July 9th 03, 02:40 AM
Westie

"D H" wrote in message
[...]

I suspect you have a problem with the setup, or else a defective set

of
brakes. A friend of mine also wasn't all that happy with his Hayes discs
when he got them, but after riding mine just a short way, he knew his

setup
was not right. I can't remember exactly what was the problem, but bleed
issues come to mind as a possibility. Now that he has his PROPERLY set up,
he is very happy with them; major turnaround in performance, he said.
In my experience, it takes a tremendously serious amount of speed and
braking to have any fade problems with Hayes.
--
Off to ride the mountains, D H
Reply to newsgroup. Spam is out of control.

The stock Shimano mechs on my Giant have done nothing but given me trouble.
When they work well, they work great. Honestly I think that I get maybe 10%
trouble-free use out of them. The other 90% is fading, various adjustment
hassles, wear & tear hassles, oil contamination, squealing and expensive pad
replacements. The next few hundred spare dollars I have (like that'll ever
happen! LOL!) are going towards either a new bike or Hope Mini's. I swear
that some days I just don't want to ride because of the sucky brakes.

BTW, the pads I've just put on are brand new, on the front and there hasn't
been a drop of oil near them - I've already learnt that one the hard way.
And if I have to worry THAT much about natural oils from my hands; then
discs suck big time.
--
Westie

Old July 9th 03, 03:02 AM
Bill Wheeler

On Mon, 7 Jul 2003 11:27:55 -0700, "TJ"
wrote:

I'm looking for a good hydraulic disc brake system. I do pretty aggresive
cross country riding, meaning I look for very steep very technical trails to
ride both up and down and thow in the moderate connecting trails. I'm
curently using the Shimano brakes that came with the 2002 Specialized
Enduro, I believe they are the M525 hydraulic disk brakes. The problem is
that as the pads wear, the 2 pistons don't move in the same amount so 1 pad
will start rubbing and in turn sqeel. They also start to fade a bit after a
long steep decent. I'm sure I would like the Shimano XT, or some Hayes
equivelent disk brakes but I was wondering if there were some different
brands like Grimeca, Hope, or Magura that someone would have some input on.
Input on Shimano and Hayes would also be welcome.

Thanks for any help on this topic.

TJ

Avid Mechs,
Bill

The mind serves properly as a window glass rather
than as a reflector, that is, the mind should give
:-]
Old July 9th 03, 03:50 PM
Small Black Dog

Simply put, avoid hope like the plague. They look nice but are absolutely
****e.

Small Black "i detest my Hope m4 setup" Dog

I've know many people with hope discs who wish they'd gone with hayes, even
shimano.

The brakes squeel, the pad-return spring is a piece of bent metal, after a
year of hardly heavy use, both brakes are leaking and the performance has
never been *Remarkable* I was better off with my Magura HS33s

Small Black Dog

Old July 9th 03, 04:01 PM
Shaun Rimmer

Small Black Dog wrote in message

Simply put, avoid hope like the plague. They look nice but are

absolutely
****e.

Small Black "i detest my Hope m4 setup" Dog

I've know many people with hope discs who wish they'd gone with hayes,

even
shimano.

The brakes squeel,

Mine? Occasionally, and not very loudly.

the pad-return spring is a piece of bent metal,

It's a pressed and formed piece of spring steel, and it's only to hold the
pads against the pistons, which self retract - it doesn't need to have much
force.

after a
year of hardly heavy use, both brakes are leaking

None of the folks I know have had theirs leak. I've had mine for well over a
year, and used them quite heavily, in some nasty conditions and had no
probs.

and the performance has
never been *Remarkable* I was better off with my Magura HS33s

Mine stop me brilliantly and contollably, all the time, and with little
effort on my part.

Shaun aRe

rb-misc In the News Thornhill General 7 July 21st 04 02:56 PM
Where is the quick release on my brakes? David Kerber General 17 September 16th 03 03:18 PM
Crossmax and new disc question [email protected] Mountain Biking 1 July 4th 03 02:40 PM
Opinions on Hayes HMX-1 Mechanical Disc Brakes? David L Mountain Biking 2 June 27th 03 12:12 AM
What to replace Novatech cable disk brakes with? Paul Gravestock Mountain Biking 0 June 26th 03 12:25 AM