Knees (again)

Old September 11th 08, 11:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Dan

Default Knees (again)

I have biked for years on an upright bike outside with no knee pain
and for years on an indoor exercise bike indoors with no knee pain. I
started using a recumbent exercise bike (Life Fitness R9i) and, alas,
I have huge knee problems. Maybe I jumped too fast into aggressive
cycling on the indoor recumbent? I don't know. Has anyone had a
similar experience? Any solutions??

Dan
Old September 11th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Pat[_14_]

:: I have biked for years on an upright bike outside with no knee pain
:: and for years on an indoor exercise bike indoors with no knee pain.
:: I started using a recumbent exercise bike (Life Fitness R9i) and,
:: alas, I have huge knee problems. Maybe I jumped too fast into
:: aggressive cycling on the indoor recumbent? I don't know. Has
:: anyone had a similar experience? Any solutions??
::
:: Dan

Do you have a trainer at the clue that you could ask to watch you for
alignment problems? Sometimes a second person can spot something. Could you
be starting out pushing too high of a gear?

Also, be ready for Tom Sherman to jump in and hijack your post with old
anecdotes.

Pat in TX

Old September 11th 08, 02:41 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

On Sep 11, 5:09*am, Dan wrote:
I have biked for years on an upright bike outside with no knee pain
and for years on an indoor exercise bike indoors with no knee pain. *I
started using a recumbent exercise bike (Life Fitness R9i) and, alas,
I have huge knee problems. *Maybe I jumped too fast into aggressive
cycling on the indoor recumbent? *I don't know. *Has anyone had a
similar experience? *Any solutions??

Dan

When you are on a 'bent, you have your back supported by a seat which
allows you to push a LOT harder on the pedals than you can on an
upright bike.

My suggestion would be to really work on your 'spin' on the 'bent.

It may take a little getting used to but your knees will love you for
it. :-)

Lewis.

*****
Old September 11th 08, 05:38 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
DennisTheBald

Usually knee pain is from either running pushing too big of gear or
improperly adjusted cleats.
You're not using clipless pedals on this indoor bike simulator, are
you?

But if you're in an indoor gym and you want to do anaerobic exercises
to increase muscle mass in your quads & glutes, look for a cable
machine or do squats... save the bicycle simulation machine for the
aerobic portions of your work out. Check with your doctor/trainer/
someone other than news group posters, but typically a workout would
start with 15-20 minutes on a bike simulator, cranking the pedals
light and fast, to get a nice layer of sweat all over and your
metabolism started up - then moving over to the resistance equipment
to drive the muscles into the deficit.

I would think if your knees are hurting that you would want to loosen
the drag on the pedals a little bit, to simulate shifting into a lower
gear on a real bike.
Old September 12th 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter H

On Sep 11, 6:09*am, Dan wrote:
I have biked for years on an upright bike outside with no knee pain
and for years on an indoor exercise bike indoors with no knee pain. *I
started using a recumbent exercise bike (Life Fitness R9i) and, alas,
I have huge knee problems. *Maybe I jumped too fast into aggressive
cycling on the indoor recumbent? *I don't know. *Has anyone had a
similar experience? *Any solutions??

Dan

'huge knee problems' is perhaps not the best description of your
problem. Where abouts on the knee(s) are the problems? To the side,
inside or outside, behind the knee, under the knee cap below the knee
cap? It can make a bid difference in determining the cause.

Peter H
Old September 12th 08, 02:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Sherman[_2_]

Pat in TX wrote:
:: I have biked for years on an upright bike outside with no knee pain
:: and for years on an indoor exercise bike indoors with no knee pain.
:: I started using a recumbent exercise bike (Life Fitness R9i) and,
:: alas, I have huge knee problems. Maybe I jumped too fast into
:: aggressive cycling on the indoor recumbent? I don't know. Has
:: anyone had a similar experience? Any solutions??
::
:: Dan

Do you have a trainer at the clue that you could ask to watch you for
alignment problems? Sometimes a second person can spot something. Could you
be starting out pushing too high of a gear?

Also, be ready for Tom Sherman to jump in and hijack your post with old
anecdotes.

I would like to use this opportunity to mention that I own several rare
and unusual recumbents, because this is all about ME ME ME ME ME ME ME
ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME ME
[...]
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“Mary had a little lamb / And when she saw it sicken /
She shipped it off to Packingtown / And now it’s labeled chicken.”
Old September 14th 08, 02:36 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Art Harris

Dan wrote:
I have biked for years on an upright bike outside with no knee pain
and for years on an indoor exercise bike indoors with no knee pain. *I
started using a recumbent exercise bike (Life Fitness R9i) and, alas,
I have huge knee problems. *Maybe I jumped too fast into aggressive
cycling on the indoor recumbent? *I don't know. *Has anyone had a
similar experience? *Any solutions??

Since you haven't had knee problems before, I suspect the problem is
caused by a fit / adjustment issue. When pedaling, your leg should be
nearly (but not quite) fully extended at the "bottom" of the stroke.

Normally, the correct leg extension is achieved by raising or lowering
the saddle. Having either too little or too much leg extension can
cause knee pain. Have you tried adjusting the trainer? Too little
extension often causes pain at the front of the knee, and too much
causes pain in the back of the knee.

Art Harris
Old September 15th 08, 01:09 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Alex Colvin

Normally, the correct leg extension is achieved by raising or lowering
the saddle. Having either too little or too much leg extension can
cause knee pain. Have you tried adjusting the trainer? Too little
extension often causes pain at the front of the knee, and too much
causes pain in the back of the knee.

Move the pain to the center of the knee, and it'll be just right
--
mac the naïf

Bad knees, need different bike Mike Rocket J Squirrel Techniques 48 August 25th 08 04:51 AM
Sore Knees Ian Wright Australia 0 September 27th 04 10:21 AM
Sore Knees Ian Wright Australia 0 September 27th 04 10:15 AM
Sore Knees Ian Wright Australia 2 September 27th 04 02:49 AM
knees again Ian Recumbent Biking 16 December 12th 03 02:33 PM