Anyone come across this

Old March 13th 07, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave

Default Anyone come across this

I have a Garmin Venture GPS that I use for both walking and cycling. Last
time I used it all appeared fine, but I came to use it on Sunday having
charged 2 sets of batteries just in case and things were not right.

I held it in my hand and let it get a signal, placed it in bike and set off
within a few hundred yards the screen went blank.

I stopped and reset and tried again - the same.

I stopped and changed batteries and tried again and the same.

I was meeting some people so having arrived 15 mins early I had a look at
the thing held it in my hand for 5 mins and all was fine. I put it on the
bike for 10 mins all was fine then I got on bike and within 200 yards the
screen went blank again.

I was not pleased so packed it away as I didn't want to be reminded of it.

On Monday I went for a walk and switched it on with the same batteries and
hung it from my bag so it was swinging about really. I got to my destination
and it had worked fine no problem and the journey was accurately mapped and
distance was fine.

It is just not liking being attached to the moving bike.

Any ideas - anyone else had this problem and managed to sort it out.

Dave

Old March 13th 07, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark Thompson

Any ideas - anyone else had this problem and managed to sort it out.

Could it be down to 'road buzz' breaking a connection somewhere. The
batteries would be my first guess. Try putting foam or newspaper in the
battery compartment to keep them still.
Old March 13th 07, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave

"Mark Thompson"
pleasegivegenerously@warmmail*_turn_up_the_heat_t o_reply*.com wrote in
message . 1.4...
Any ideas - anyone else had this problem and managed to sort it out.

Could it be down to 'road buzz' breaking a connection somewhere. The
batteries would be my first guess. Try putting foam or newspaper in the
battery compartment to keep them still.

I wondered about that this morning and have got hold of some foam to try.

Thanks
Dave

Old March 13th 07, 02:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
lab

Sometimes the MOD carry out GPS jamming trials so that they can fool 'Johnny
Foreigner' if he tries any of his dastardly tricks using GPS navigation..
Usually notified on the CAA website under Notams. (and usually in Wales as
well).

Old March 13th 07, 02:30 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Dave
') wrote:

[...]

Dodgy wiring, doesn't like vibration.

; gif ye hes forget our auld plane Scottis quhilk your mother lerit you,
; in tymes cuming I sall wryte to you my mind in Latin, for I am nocht
; acquyntit with your Southeron
;; Letter frae Ninian Winyet tae John Knox datit 27t October 1563

Old March 13th 07, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling

messagenews:Xns98F28ADFCC100pleasegivegenerously@1 30.133.1.4...

Any ideas - anyone else had this problem and managed to sort it out.

Could it be down to 'road buzz' breaking a connection somewhere. The
batteries would be my first guess. Try putting foam or newspaper in the
battery compartment to keep them still.

I wondered about that this morning and have got hold of some foam to try.

Thanks
Dave

I have an eTrex Venture and it also shuts off, but only after fairly
serious bumps on the road. I'm pretty sure it's the battery contacts.
You could try stretching the battery springs a bit so they are tighter.

Old March 13th 07, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
dkahn400

On 13 Mar, 14:17, "lab" wrote:
Sometimes the MOD carry out GPS jamming trials so that they can fool 'Johnny
Foreigner' if he tries any of his dastardly tricks using GPS navigation..
Usually notified on the CAA website under Notams. (and usually in Wales as
well).

I can see how that would make the unit inaccurate, or make it lose its
position entirely, but how would it make it turn itself off?

--
Dave...

Old March 13th 07, 05:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Lowther

Any ideas - anyone else had this problem and managed to sort it out.

Could it be down to 'road buzz' breaking a connection somewhere. The
batteries would be my first guess. Try putting foam or newspaper in the
battery compartment to keep them still.

My old Garmin GPS12 which took 4 AAs, in two stacks of two, suffered from
the same problem. It only happened when I fitted it with NiMh batteries. I
came to the conclusion that the slightly larger diameter of the batteries
was such that the springs were not strong enough to push the batteries in a
stack back together when jarred out of position.

Dave.