Bike Theft In the U. S.

Old April 24th 17, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

Default Bike Theft In the U. S.

On 24/04/17 01:38, JNugent wrote:
On 23/04/2017 21:25, TMS320 wrote:

On 23/04/17 17:43, JNugent wrote:

Though you obviously didn't know it, car-theft is actually rare in
the the UK and countries with similar systems. It happens, but it
isn't at all common.

You're rather naive if you think plates have much to do with it.

It is not common because cars have had electronic keys for the last 20
years and can't be hot wired; the key (or code) has to be obtained first.

Nothing whatever to do with it.

Everything to do with it.

What is usually (inaccurately) termed a "stolen" car has not been stolen
at all, because "steal" has a specific meaning in law which is not
satisfied by joyrising, etc..

If you want to worry about how people in funny wigs define a word,
that's entirely up to you.

Old April 24th 17, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 24/04/2017 10:04, TMS320 wrote:

On 24/04/17 01:38, JNugent wrote:
On 23/04/2017 21:25, TMS320 wrote:
On 23/04/17 17:43, JNugent wrote:

Though you obviously didn't know it, car-theft is actually rare in
the the UK and countries with similar systems. It happens, but it
isn't at all common.

You're rather naive if you think plates have much to do with it.

It is not common because cars have had electronic keys for the last 20
years and can't be hot wired; the key (or code) has to be obtained
first.

Nothing whatever to do with it.

Everything to do with it.

Au contraire, as already explained, though the truth is too inconvenient
for you to accept.

What is usually (inaccurately) termed a "stolen" car has not been stolen
at all, because "steal" has a specific meaning in law which is not
satisfied by joyrising, etc..

If you want to worry about how people in funny wigs define a word,
that's entirely up to you.

If you wish to convince yourself to the effect that cars are invariably
returned to their owners because of something other than registration
(remembering that bikes only have to be shifted a relatively few miles
to have little chance of ever seeing their owners again), that's up to you.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 24th 17, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 24/04/17 13:13, JNugent wrote:
On 24/04/2017 10:04, TMS320 wrote:
On 24/04/17 01:38, JNugent wrote:
On 23/04/2017 21:25, TMS320 wrote:
On 23/04/17 17:43, JNugent wrote:

Though you obviously didn't know it, car-theft is actually
rare in the the UK and countries with similar systems. It
happens, but it isn't at all common.

You're rather naive if you think plates have much to do with
it.

It is not common because cars have had electronic keys for the
last 20 years and can't be hot wired; the key (or code) has to
be obtained first.

Nothing whatever to do with it.

Everything to do with it.

Au contraire, as already explained, though the truth is too
inconvenient for you to accept.

You should read the paragraph you wrote that I quote above my reply. If
you're referring to something else that you wrote... I have not replied
to that.
Old April 25th 17, 12:21 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 24/04/2017 21:02, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

You are in denial about something which is central here (but which
you've snipped).

Cars are rarely stolen as compare with being temporarily taken for
joyriding or similar.

To steal is to dishonestly appropriate the property of another with the
intention to permanently deprive that owner of the item stolen.

Because that is a rarity with cars (exceptions might include exotica
allegedy "stolen to order" for shipping abroad), a separate offence (of
taking without the owner's consent) exists. That's because proving
intent to permanently deprive is effectively impossible - "stolen" cars
are almost always recovered and delivered back to their owners. That's
because of VINs and registration.

Not so for bicycles, which are much more susceptible to (successful) theft.

Why are you even arguing against that? The article which gave rise to it
was a complaint about the fact that stolen bicycles are so rarely
recovered (IOW, their owners have been permanently deprived of them).

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 25th 17, 07:45 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Bret Cahill

A couple hours ago I came out of Dollar Store to find a miscreant rummaging through my seat bag.

Trying to muster some outrage I demanded "what are you doing?"

He claimed he had a flat tire and needed a patch kit.

This was such a charming answer no one on the planet could get upset.

I went through the bag to see if anything had been removed. The camera battery was still there and I mumbled, "well, you didn't steal the battery."

I don't really inventory that bag very often or well. The patch kit was later found back home.

I said, "your tire looks pretty good. Press down on it." Not that it matters much with BMX but his tire was almost fully inflated.

"See, " I said, "your tire is OK." "Where is your light?"

He had none.

"OK," I said magnanimously, "I'll give you one" and rummaged further into the bag to produce a spare strap on Si rubber light.

The button batteries were dead and I gave up on the idea of giving even a $1 item to such a dysfunctional.

I got ready to go and he said he was going to follow me.

The wind was blowing pretty strong out of the West, bad air warnings, etc. I thought, if he follows I'll just go East a few blocks to lose him . . .

Bret Cahill

Old April 25th 17, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 25/04/2017 07:45, Bret Cahill wrote:
[...]

Nice... Hemingwayesque, even...

When are you going to finish it? I'm on tenterhooks.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 25th 17, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 25/04/17 00:21, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Nothing snipped that is relevant to reply. Things don't get stolen when
it is physically difficult not because of a piece stuck on plastic.

Cars are rarely stolen as compare with being temporarily taken for
joyriding or similar.

To steal is to dishonestly appropriate the property of another with the
intention to permanently deprive that owner of the item stolen.

OK, so if you're desperate to push the funny wig definition, then you
can accept that VED is not "road tax".

Old April 25th 17, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 25/04/2017 12:01, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

I don't believe that you had never before encountered the correct
definition of theft.

You desperately want to believe that registration doesn't have anything
to do with the small number of motor vehicles which are actually stolen
(it isn't zero, but it's very low compared to the much larger number
which are TWOCd).

And the same *could* apply to bicycles, but you are more concerned that
cyclists should get away with their multiple daily traffic offences than
you are that they should be able to recover stolen bicycles.

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 25th 17, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 25/04/17 15:29, JNugent wrote:
[...]

My interest in law is in those that govern nature; your interest is in
something that is a human invention.

Old April 25th 17, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 25/04/2017 16:51, TMS320 wrote:
[...]

Hence the differences between us when it comes to things like one-way
streets, stop-lines and red traffic lights, etc.

Though somehow, one still suspects that you would not be quite so
sanguine about breaches of statute law if a lorry came through a red
light and knocked you off your trike.

---
http://www.avg.com

Bike Theft: The Movie Bertie Wooster[_2_] UK 24 February 11th 12 04:20 AM
Bike theft twofourfour General 12 October 1st 08 10:35 PM
Electra Bike Theft! Jay[_2_] Techniques 2 April 12th 08 11:04 PM
Another bike theft Cliff UK 7 October 24th 05 12:27 AM
On bike theft Kit Wolf UK 1 September 28th 05 08:25 AM