Vehicle Tax

Old April 17th 17, 04:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Cummins[_7_]

Default Vehicle Tax

In article ,
(JNugent) wrote:

I'll answer the second question for you: the tax is not due (not
even at the stupid nil rate) in respect of any motor vehicle which
is not kept or used on a highway (colloquially known as the road or
the roads)

So it's a fuel-driven-Motor Vehicle Tax, not a Road Tax.

After all, vehicles without oil-based fuel-driven-motors[1] do not have
to pay it to use the roads, so it can't be Road tax.

[1] including Carts, Stagecoaches, hackneys, surrey's, drays, Traction
Engines powered by steam, electric bicycles and tricycles, etc...

--
Paul Cummins - Always a NetHead
Wasting Bandwidth since 1981

Old April 17th 17, 04:14 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
James Wilkinson Sword[_4_]

On Mon, 17 Apr 2017 14:29:56 +0100, JNugent wrote:

On 17/04/2017 05:23, wrote:
On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 8:27:17 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 19:16:55 +0100, wrote:

On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 7:11:12 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 19:07:23 +0100, wrote:

On Sunday, April 16, 2017 at 7:01:18 PM UTC+1, James Wilkinson Sword wrote:
On Sun, 16 Apr 2017 18:54:57 +0100, wrote:

I have just taxed my car for another year at a cost of£240.
Given that road damage is the fourth power of axle loading it means I have just paid £2.4 Million to ride my bicycle on the road for the next year.
There was no mention of Road Tax.

Would you like to write that in English?

Which part of my english post did you not understand?

1) "fourth power of axle loading"

http://www.nvfnorden.org/lisalib/get...px?itemid=1586

I'm not reading all that.

It is your choice to remain ignorant.

Try answering my question.

What question?

2) Claiming you're paying for your bicycle when you've paid for your car.

When I am riding my bicycle my car is in my drive.

But you're paying for your car with the road tax.

No, Vehicle Tax.

3) Some ******** about "road tax".

Glad you agree there is no such thing as Road tax.

I didn't. You pay tax to drive a car to pay for the roads, simple. It's road tax.

Again, Vehicle Tax not road tax.

1. Whatever name(s) you dare not give the tax, what are the (exact)
circumstances in which it must be paid?

Since he thinks it's vehicle tax, why doesn't he pay it for his bicycle? Psycholists seem to think their bikes are vehicles....

2. And in what exact circumstances is the tax not due (even at the
ill-advised nil rate, fated soon to disappear)?

It's not soon to disappear. They're putting the tax for big 4x4s up to £2000 for the first year (although not subsequent years, which makes no sense at all), but they're not removing the nil band for electric cars..

I'll answer the second question for you: the tax is not due (not even at
the stupid nil rate) in respect of any motor vehicle which is not kept
or used on a highway (colloquially known as the road or the roads) and
in respect of which that fact has been officially declared to the DVLA
(in other words, vehicles which are not in use - for whatever reason, on
the road).

They should get rid of the road tax completely, and just put it all on the petrol. That way the more you use the car, the more you wear out the roads, the more you pay. Also bigger heavier cars creating more pollution automatically pay more as they use more fuel.

Now I'll let you answer the first question.

Don't chicken out...

He will evade as he always does.

--
President Bush is rehearsing his speech for the Beijing 2008 Olympic Games.
He begins with "Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Ooo!"
Old April 17th 17, 05:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 17/04/2017 16:13, Paul Cummins wrote:

(JNugent) wrote:

I'll answer the second question for you: the tax is not due (not
even at the stupid nil rate) in respect of any motor vehicle which
is not kept or used on a highway (colloquially known as the road or
the roads)

So it's a fuel-driven-Motor Vehicle Tax,

That bit is true.

not a Road Tax.

Well, that's what we're trying to establish. Your unsupported assertion
does not make it so.

Your falty definition fails to comply with or address with one of the
central parts of the question - doesn't it?

And we all know why that is.

But if "The Tax" is not due (and it isn't) in respect of any motor
vehicle which is NOT kept or used on a highway (colloquially known as
the road or the roads), in what circumstances does it become due in
respect of a motor vehicle?

Have a little think about that and see whether you can think of yet
another pointless wriggle which takes you nowhere.

After all, vehicles without oil-based fuel-driven-motors[1] do not have
to pay it to use the roads, so it can't be Road tax.

[1] including Carts, Stagecoaches, hackneys, surrey's, drays, Traction
Engines powered by steam, electric bicycles and tricycles, etc...

What is a "hackney", out of interest?

A horse or a motor vehicle?

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 18th 17, 01:26 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 17/04/2017 20:44, Paul Cummins wrote:

(JNugent) wrote:

But if "The Tax" is not due (and it isn't) in respect of any motor
vehicle which is NOT kept or used on a highway (colloquially known
as the road or the roads), in what circumstances does it become due
in respect of a motor vehicle?

But, by the same proves, if it's NOT due for vehicles which are used on
the roads, even though such vehicles do have to pay tolls etc, then it
can;t be a "Road" tax, and must be some other form of tax.

What are you on?

I'd cut down on it if I were you.

How on Earth can the owner or driver of a vehicle be liable to pay tolls
if it never goes on a road?

This is especially true if it isn't used to pay for roads.

I have no need to wriggle, these are facts, which you seem to be ignoring
as they don;t fit your faulty hypothesis.

Your "tolls" point was the biggest wriggle seen round these parts for
some time.

As the tax only applies to certain *vehicles*, used in a specified way,

What IS that "specified way"?

Be clear. Be honest.

I ask that with no real hope that you will attepmpt to be either.

and not others used in the same way, it cannot be a Road Tax, but must be
a VEHICLE tax.

A vehicle tax would be levied on a vehicle irrespective of whether it
was used on the roads.

What is a "hackney", out of interest?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Hackney+Coach

That's not a hackney. That's a Hackney Coach.

A hackney is (or rather, was) a horse.

Here's the actual Google return for the term you used, which was "hackney":

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB726GB726&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=hackney

The return on that page marked "hackney - meaning" takes you to:

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&rlz=1C1CHBD_en-GBGB726GB726&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=hackney+meaning

---
http://www.avg.com

Old April 18th 17, 04:12 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
jnugent

On 18/04/2017 12:36, Paul Cummins wrote:

(JNugent) wrote:

As the tax only applies to certain *vehicles*, used in a

specified way,

What IS that "specified way"?
Be clear. Be honest.

In a manner which makes them liable for Vehicle Excise Duty.

And what, precisely, *is* that manner of use which makes them liable for
The Tax?

What use has to be made of a motor vehicle to make its user/owner liable
to pay The Tax and where does the use have to take place?

Go answer the question - don't chicken out.

[Did you play the spoon salesman in Fawlty Towers, by the way? Oh no...
that was Bernard Cribbins. Why are you channelling him in that character?]

Now lets deal with all the vehicles which don't have a liability, that
you can freely use on the roads. What "Road Tax" do they pay?

No. We'll deal with those motor vehicles in respect of which The Tax IS
due in some circumstances and NOT due in other circumstances.

We need to establish what those circumstances are and what the
differences between them are.

Stop being evasive. It doesn't make you look clever.

---
http://www.avg.com

Getaway Vehicle Bret Cahill UK 5 February 20th 15 11:31 PM
long vehicle ray Australia 3 May 24th 06 04:04 PM
articulated vehicle ray Australia 3 May 5th 06 03:03 AM
Vehicle Design (OT) Richard UK 11 February 17th 06 07:49 PM
Vehicle assault [email protected] General 47 April 19th 05 07:21 PM