Parents of girl hit by a cyclist count their blessings

Old December 21st 18, 03:20 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

Default Parents of girl hit by a cyclist count their blessings

On 21/12/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:

On 21/12/2018 01:28, JNugent wrote:

Oddly enough, I have never rounded a corner or bend so fast that I
could not stop if my way happened to be obstructed, whether by a
pedestrian or anything else.

How do you know?

What are you talking about?

I ask on the assumption that you know what you are talking about. I
accept that that might not be a safe assumption.

Old December 21st 18, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 2:20:32 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 21/12/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:

On 21/12/2018 01:28, JNugent wrote:

Oddly enough, I have never rounded a corner or bend so fast that I
could not stop if my way happened to be obstructed, whether by a
pedestrian or anything else.

How do you know?

What are you talking about?

Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it wont happen in the future.
Old December 21st 18, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 21/12/2018 09:25, TMS320 wrote:
On 21/12/2018 08:46, wrote:
On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 8:16:24 PM UTC,
wrote:
The cyclist was not blamed for the girl's injuries.

QUOTE: "She said: "A lot of corners around the road are blind
corners. *****Parking on the road obscures the view***** (EMPHASIS
MINE), especially at school pick-up time.

"Jessica was just standing with a group of kids and I think what
she did was *****just step forward***** (EMPHASIS MINE) (into the
road).

When I was at school we were taught by Tufty?? "Look right, look
left, look right again. If all clear, quick march!"

I believe it was replaced soon after by the Green Cross Code, which
stated the same thing, more or less." LOOK before crossing the roads!
Maybe that school needs a visit from the local plod to give a
playtime talk?

It's probably because of the popularity of cars the size of a block of
flats. When a few are abandoned at the roadside, pedestrians don't have
the opportunity to look.

Alternatively those travelling along the road past parked vehicles
should be obliged to do what Nugent does and slow down to 3.5mph.

Driving or cycling around a blind *bend* or *corner* is what
necessitates caution and lower speed.

Although the presence of parked vehicles can mask a pedestrian until the
last moment, that's very much a red herring in the context of a bend or
corner. It is the lack of a sight-line which necessitates the caution.

Old December 21st 18, 03:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 21/12/2018 09:34, wrote:
On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 9:25:03 AM UTC, TMS320 wrote:
When I was at school we were taught by Tufty?? "Look right, look
left, look right again. If all clear, quick march!"

I believe it was replaced soon after by the Green Cross Code, which
stated the same thing, more or less." LOOK before crossing the roads!
Maybe that school needs a visit from the local plod to give a
playtime talk?

It's probably because of the popularity of cars the size of a block of
flats. When a few are abandoned at the roadside, pedestrians don't have
the opportunity to look.

Alternatively those travelling along the road past parked vehicles
should be obliged to do what Nugent does and slow down to 3.5mph.

The main problem in this sad case would seem to be this though.

QUOTE:

"The area, outside Holy Trinity Church of England Primary School, used to be staffed by a lollipop lady, but she has *****not been replaced***** (EMPHASIS MINE) since leaving her post in April, parents say.

Now they are calling for urgent action be taken at the crossing to avoid a repeat incident.

Jessica suffered heavy bruising around her nose and eyes but is now recovering well.

Her mum, Becci Roberts, said that she ***did not*** blame the cyclist (EMPHASIS MINE)for what happened, but says that the layout of the road is hazardous."

Cyclists never cause injury to pedestrians. We are regularly reassured
of that here.

News stories which claim that it happened, whether in Yorkshire,
Shoreditch or Blackpool, are obviously made-up.
Old December 21st 18, 04:19 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 21/12/2018 14:22, Simon Jester wrote:
On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 2:20:32 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 21/12/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:

On 21/12/2018 01:28, JNugent wrote:

Oddly enough, I have never rounded a corner or bend so fast that I
could not stop if my way happened to be obstructed, whether by a
pedestrian or anything else.

How do you know?

What are you talking about?

Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it wont happen in the future.

I'd be prepared to put a bet on it not happening between today and a
given date in the future. Or at least, I would if the arrangements could
be acceptable.
Old December 21st 18, 04:22 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 3:19:14 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 21/12/2018 14:22, Simon Jester wrote:
On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 2:20:32 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 21/12/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:

On 21/12/2018 01:28, JNugent wrote:

Oddly enough, I have never rounded a corner or bend so fast that I
could not stop if my way happened to be obstructed, whether by a
pedestrian or anything else.

How do you know?

What are you talking about?

Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it wont happen in the future.

I'd be prepared to put a bet on it not happening between today and a
given date in the future. Or at least, I would if the arrangements could
be acceptable.

So you agree there is a possibility it could happen.
Old December 21st 18, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 21/12/2018 15:22, Simon Jester wrote:
On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 3:19:14 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 21/12/2018 14:22, Simon Jester wrote:
On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 2:20:32 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
On 21/12/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:

On 21/12/2018 01:28, JNugent wrote:

Oddly enough, I have never rounded a corner or bend so fast that I
could not stop if my way happened to be obstructed, whether by a
pedestrian or anything else.

How do you know?

What are you talking about?

Just because it hasn't happened in the past doesn't mean it wont happen in the future.

I'd be prepared to put a bet on it not happening between today and a
given date in the future. Or at least, I would if the arrangements could
be acceptable.

So you agree there is a possibility it could happen.

For some people, reading comprehension seems to be at something of a low
around here.

I said (and it's worth re-reading exactly what I said):

"Oddly enough, I have never rounded a corner or bend so fast that I
could not stop if my way happened to be obstructed, whether by a
pedestrian or anything else".

Was there anything there which purported to read the future?

What one can say is that the attitude described - you can't see through
brick walls so you have to cater for the possibility that there is
something unseen and so far unseeable in your path - is a necessary
policy in order to stay safe and that it bodes well for the future.

Old December 21st 18, 05:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Jester

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 3:49:14 PM UTC, JNugent wrote:
[...]

Thank you for proving my point.
You should probably re-read your own posts before you reply.
Old December 21st 18, 05:48 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
JNugent[_10_]

On 21/12/2018 16:35, Simon Jester wrote:
[...]

I really didn't want to point out that you don't understand plain
English (yet again), but you forced my hand.

But look... you could profit, even at your time of life, from learning
the differences between tenses.

You should probably re-read your own posts before you reply.

It's a bit late for you to try to score a point after you failed to
distinguish a statement about the past tense(s) from one about the
future. It was typical, I'm afraid, of your recurring difficulties in
comprehension.
Old December 21st 18, 06:24 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
TMS320

On 21/12/2018 14:20, JNugent wrote:
On 21/12/2018 09:01, TMS320 wrote:
On 21/12/2018 01:28, JNugent wrote:

Oddly enough, I have never rounded a corner or bend so fast that I
could not stop if my way happened to be obstructed, whether by a
pedestrian or anything else.

How do you know?

What are you talking about?

I ask on the assumption that you know what you are talking about. I
accept that that might not be a safe assumption.

Ask yourself what you're talking about. It's not my (or anybody else's)
problem when you can't understand your own words.

Perhaps you were trying to say something along the lines of "I have
never rounded a corner or bend and crashed"? Something quite different
to your statement above.

Well, my version happens to be the experience of most people and nobody
needs driving or cycling lessons from you.