New milestone: metric century

Old September 3rd 03, 11:04 AM
thinuniking

Default New milestone: metric century

i do a few cross country runs and i am ok at it i have never done a big
ride like that before but i know how you feel on runs i get about half
way and start to think why am i doing this what is the point?but i
manage to push though and do ok the same with my old paper round the
last few papers are always the hardest.
and well done!

--
thinuniking - started trails unicycling

i have given up the wheel to live
thinuniking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4294

Old September 3rd 03, 03:02 PM
unibiker

rubic wrote:
*After last year's Boston-Montreal-Boston 1200K, the only
people who weren't complaining about their seats were the
Brooks saddle cultists. So I joined.*

Hi Rubic,

First of all, Congratulations on the ride.

I'm very familiar with the pain you went through.

In my endless search for relief of soreness/numbness, I’ve never heard
of Brooks saddles. Thanks for the info. I’m due for a new seat again
(mainly due to sliding around in search of pain relief). I’ll try to
find one of these things.

Sorry I missed you in Nashville. You started posting shortly after I
left town.

--
unibiker - What is that thing anyway?

Jeff Baker

______________________________

Favorite comment (from a child) 'You can't do that. That's impossible.'
'Unibike Pics Here' (
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/albun01)
unibiker's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/473

Old September 7th 03, 09:38 PM
Cokerhead

rubic wrote:
*

I'm impressed. Any tips for my first MS150?

Practice,practice,practice. I don't know enough about you to
recommend anything else.

Are you still planning to ride the NATCHEZ trail?

Yes, but to fit it into my schedule it will have to cover
442 miles in 8-9 days.

I'd be OK with that if I trained properly. I've ridden/driven most of
Blue Ridge Parkway. How does Natchez compare to that?(if you're
familiar with Blue Ridge)

-Mark

*

--
Cokerhead
Cokerhead's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/136

Old September 8th 03, 12:52 AM
rubic

Cokerhead:
Are you still planning to ride the NATCHEZ trail?

Rubic:
Yes, but to fit it into my schedule it will have to cover
442 miles in 8-9 days.

Cokerhead:
I'd be OK with that if I trained properly. I've
ridden/driven most of Blue Ridge Parkway. How does
Natchez compare to that? (if you're familiar with Blue Ridge)

I've bicycled a good bit of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

The "hilly section" of the Natchez Trace is the part
closest to the northern terminus (Nashville) and
IMO, pretty moderate. The grades are no worse than
anything I've ridden on the Blue Ridge Parkway, and
hills are not very long.

As you move further south (maybe 60-75 miles) from
Nashville, the terrain becomes mostly flat.

-Jeff

--
rubic - Unstable Coker Addict

It's never to late to have a happy childhood.

rubic's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3956

Old September 8th 03, 01:53 AM
nbrazzi

rubic wrote:
*

Yes, but to fit it into my schedule it will have to cover
442 miles in 8-9 days. A Norwegian Unicycle Tour it is
not, neither in beauty nor grandeur. After bicycling in
France, I've got some ideas for 2005, however ....

-Jeff *

Really? I very much want to put together a european ride for the summer
of 2005. If this is something you really want to do, let's work
together on this. Email my username at unicyclist.com.

On the subject of saddles, my vote goes to the KH Velo with the rail
adapter to give it that upwards tilt. I was skeptical until I tried it
and it makes a world of difference. The handlebars are next on my list.
Think about how the KH seemed to expensive to you. Then think about
the pain you were in. I don't think the price is too high.

--
nbrazzi

any God with sense is going to want to promote unicycling

-onewheeldave on religion
nbrazzi's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/917

Old September 8th 03, 05:28 PM
rubic

i've been meaning to ask how much training did
u do for this ride? i'm asking because i got the
impression from your write-up that u did this ride
pretty much on 'residual fitness' and i wanted to
check if that is actually the case if so, how much
riding do u generally do to be able to pull off
a ride like this?

Dave,

I think you are correct. I was able to complete this
Coker ride mostly on residual fitness from training
for the 760 mile Paris-Brest-Paris bike ride -- about
300 miles/week. Since the metric ride occurred only
a week after PBP, I did not have time to train
specifically for it. My longest Coker ride prior
to this was 32 miles, about a month before the
Labor Day ride.

Compared to the intensity of my bike rides (brevets,
in randonneuring parlance), the metric Coker was a
cakewalk -- neglecting saddle issues(*). Although I'm
sure we use our muscles somewhat differently in each
activity, there was enough in common with bicycling that
I suffered no hip/knee/foot issues. And actually the
spine is in a much better position compared to bicycling
for long distances. I was also helped by the flatness
of the terrain. Hilly terrain with lots of descents
would have required more back-pedal strength, which
hasn't been part of my workouts to date.

Good question.

-Jeff

(*) Note that I set no speed records for this ride,
so I'm only comparing it to the level of intensity
I bring to my other rides. I'm sure other Cokeurs
could ride this course with the same effort level
I ride on my brevets and complete it in much less
time.

Old September 21st 08, 10:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
StephenH

Congratulations on the accomplishment. Just this year, I rode my first
metric century and mile century on a bicycle, and felt like that was an
accomplishment!

Back this spring, I rode my 3-wheel cargo trike in one of the local
charity bike rides. This thing, specifically:
[image:
http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z...otos/WRL3.jpg]

I rode the shortest route, which was 16 miles, and took 2 hours to do
it, so that's averaging 8 mph. But what surprised me is that I still
passed people! Now, these folks weren't doing a metric century, but
still, it's hard to go so slow that you don't pass somebody. That
trike also makes a good support vehicle for unicycling, as my son and I
tried that around White Rock Lake once.

One way that speed affects you, though, is it cuts down on your rest
stops. On my bike, I'll ride 14 or 15 mph, depending on wind and
hills. Typical rest stops are about 10 miles apart, so every 40
minutes, I'm coming to a rest stop, and that's about right for me. But
going 8 mph, all the sudden, that's an hour and a half between rest
stops, which is not good. Of course, for cyclists, the people going
slow are the very ones that need them the most.

(Edit: Dang, just saw this was an "old thread" after I hit the enter
button- so the congratulations are a few years too late!)

--
StephenH