Best Long-Distance Street Unicycle

Old July 20th 07, 09:01 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oldgeezers940

Default Best Long-Distance Street Unicycle

ok,

so I've been researching for awhile now and i finally decided i should
just start my own thread...

i feel bad taking up the precious space but eh, what can you do...

so heres the thing. I've been riding a 24" torker for about 4 years. I
want to start doing some long distance/ touring rides and I'm kinda
torn on what would be the best to get.

coker? 29"? ahhh idk!!

i'll be using this unicycle on flat trails and roads ENTIRELY for long
rides. No intense jumping or drops for this one...

thanks bunchesss

--
oldgeezers940
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 20th 07, 09:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pdc

The only reason not to get a 36er is if you're dealing with alot of
traffic. The Nimbus with an Airfoil rim would be a first choice. If
your budget doesn't allow then lose the Airfoil, or cheaper yet get a
Radial 360. Any of those would bring you many miles of enjoyment.

Edit: I like the Nimbus frame because it has nice machined bearing
holders and is very rigid.

--
pdc

"What doesn't kill you strengthens you, what kills you strengthens your
mother"
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 20th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
acl

A 36" will be the best for long-distance riding. Period.

I've ridden long distances on a 29er, and it's manageable, but there's
no doubting that the 36" is better. However, 29ers have advantages when
you're not riding them - easier to store, carry around, mount/dismount,
obtain spare parts, etc. etc.... so it's a question of how much you can
live with the inconveniences in order to get the best ride.

I think most unicyclists would say there was no question, tho - go with
the 36".

Unless, that is, you are considering forking out for a *geared*
unicycle (i.e. 29er, presumably) - but that's a whole different ball
game...

acl
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 20th 07, 09:37 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oldgeezers940

Thats what i was thinking,

i've heard alot of people say that the 36" really doesnt have a
cruising speed much faster than a 29" and that the 29" is more stable.

in your opinion does the extra speed of the 36" make up for the loss in
stability?

--
oldgeezers940
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 20th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oldgeezers940

o boyyy

the nimbus delux uni will end up costing me almost 700 USD altogether.

I'm going to have to start getting in the loop of the unicycle
community and find some events to go to if i start putting out that
kinda money

--
oldgeezers940
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 20th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

Need I say more?

|Filename: tpradial.jpg |

MuniAddict

"On Earth it would be...12 noon" (Twilight zone episode, "To serve
man.")

My Videos: http://youtube.com/profile_videos?user=ttt8699

My favorite FG clip: http://tinyurl.com/28847b
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 20th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
MuniAddict

oldgeezers940 wrote:
o boyyy

the nimbus delux uni will end up costing me almost 700 USD altogether.

I'm going to have to start getting in the loop of the unicycle
community and find some events to go to if i start putting out that
kinda money

$424 for the Radial deluxe, then if you also want the nimbus frame (that
will make it the nimbus deluxe as *both* radial & nimbus deluxe are
identical save for the frames) you spend $120 more. That's a total of
only $544 and you get both frames. Buying it that way is about $40
cheaper than buying JUST the nimbus deluxe alone.

Old July 20th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
kington99

The 36" is a lot more stable due to the larger rotating mass, just more
difficult to manouver in traffic. A 29" feels more or less like a 24",
just a bit bigger. A 36" is an entirely different beast, when you get
it going it's like riding a sofa, a fast sofa. If you're sticking to
smooth road a 36" is deff. the way to go (unless you've the budget for
a geared 29").

--
kington99

Dave

http://www.usenet.com
Old July 20th 07, 10:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
feel the light

If cash is short. I have one and I love it. I wish I bought the better
wheel. But UDC is funny about pricing their deluxe models. With the
better rim and spokes its about 140 $ more then the steel 360. To buy
the rim and spokes separately later is 164 $. So if you you can lace
your own wheel, you get an extra steel rim and spokes for 24 $.
So it's not such a bad deal to buy the 340 $ model, even if you want
to upgrade later.
I have never tried the Nimbus frame. From what I have read, they
weigh the same, not much to choose from between them. Unless you want
brakes. It's flat down here, I don't know how hard it is to put brakes
on a radial.

--
feel the light
http://www.usenet.com
Old July 20th 07, 10:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
oldgeezers940

MuniAddict wrote:
Need I say more?

hmmm..

well if you dont mind me asking i got two things,

brakes and handle bars...

are brakes pretty much required on a 36"??

and handle bars come off the seat post so i can still put a KH Fusion
Freeride Air Saddle on this thing and have handle bars right???

lol, thanks, i feel like such a noob here...

--
oldgeezers940
http://www.usenet.com

Coker long distance unicycle nut Unicycling 7 July 2nd 07 06:14 PM
Appropriate Unicycle for Long Distance Chris Kennedy Unicycling 3 April 26th 06 09:29 PM
long distance [email protected] UK 52 March 6th 06 10:54 PM
long distance uni commandoH Unicycling 6 April 25th 04 07:20 AM
Home made unicycle for long distance: Making a uni from a bicycle. Mike McDermott Unicycling 15 December 5th 03 11:24 AM