Schlumpf 36er Update

Old November 9th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Daytripper63

Default Schlumpf 36er Update

This thing is AWSOME.
I got the upshifts pretty good, although with 150 cranks I have to put
my toes on the pedals so my heel can reach the shift button. The shift
is a smooth transition into 1.5 mode and just tonight I got a few
successful downshifts, the downshifts seem to be more difficult than
the upshift.
Tonight I tried some shoes that the rubber soles were not so
sticky/grippy and it definetely helped with the shifting.
Riding in 1.5 mode is sweet once you get in rythym, one of the
adjustments that made the biggest difference of all in handling and
ridability was done at the rail adapter seat mount, on my first couple
rides I had the seat post clamped on the rail adapter approximately
were a stock seat post would mount and just set the seat angle at the
desired angle and it seemed to ride just like my other N36er which has
same type seat mount but once I shifted I would have to pull up on the
T7 handle so hard to keep balance my arms got tired, so I started
trying a few things and the trick was moving the rail adapter seat post
as far towards the back of the seat rail adapter as possible, now I can
cruise pretty smooth once in rythym.
While out riding yesterday I was on a somewhat flat road and had a
smooth rythym going and a road biker caught up with me and rode with me
a short bit talking Uni's (said he rode as a kid etc) but before he
rode on he said "Do you know how fast your going" No "17mph" Awsome
ride.
The rythym of this thing is cool, know how when on a 36er and spinning
away you wobble, well when in geared mode you dont do that, it is more
of a relaxing sway from right to left with everystroke the motion kinda
reminds me of skating.

Robert

--
Daytripper63

The Dictionary is the only place where "Success" comes before "Working"
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 9th 07, 06:25 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Rubix

May i suggest punctuation next time you do a write-up?

Otherwise, nicely done. I may have to get one if I decide to do
distance seriously. Sounds like a nice fast ride.

--
Rubix

Unicycle
Not just for clowns anymore!
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 9th 07, 04:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
unisk8r

yet another 36" guni convert - yay!

--
unisk8r
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 9th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mscalisi

Its funny how 17mph feels very fast on a regular 36er, but hardly feels
fast at all on a v54! I had a similar experience last week riding
around town.

I passed one of those radar signs that show how fast cars are going. I
was just putting around, but the radar showed that I was going 13mph (I
felt like I was going 8mph). I went around the block, this time giving
it a little juice, and the next pass I was going 18mph.

I can't wait til the KH hub comes out so I can build a shiftable 36/54.

--
mscalisi

Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha

http://www.usenet.com
Old November 9th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

mscalisi wrote:

I can't wait til the KH hub comes out so I can build a shiftable 36/54.

--
siafirede

James = my name
'This' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout) = my myspace

Pump Air Not Gas
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 9th 07, 09:21 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Daytripper63

I almost forgot, when first shifting into geared mode and if I power
down on the pedals the Nimbus frame will flex causing the rear frame
tubes to barely rub the tire.

Old November 9th 07, 09:28 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
flyer

a shiftable 36 seems like a pretty cool thing. I found that for almost
all hills, a 36 is a great gear for climbing. That combined with the
ability to shift up and crank away on flats/downhills seems like it
would make a really solid distance uni.

Have you had any issues with the slight 'disconnect' between the wheel
and the cranks introduced by the gearing? This is where I hear a lot of
people saying gunis fall flat. I know that it's a lot easier to
maintain a slow uphill climb on my coker than on a bike (the closest
analogue I have to a guni, really) and that it feels like it takes
incredibly little backpressure to stop a geared wheel short as compared
to ungeared.

that said - I'd really like to have a schlumpf attached to a 36er
wheel, it seems like something that would be worth experimenting with.

--
flyer
http://www.usenet.com
Old November 9th 07, 09:39 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mscalisi

I have a harper-hub based 36er, which has some slop. The Schlumpfs have
less. Some people who have ridden my unicycle have found the slop to
be bothersome. Frankly, I completely tune it out. It's more of a mental
thing.

Once, I went from riding my v54 immediately to a Schlumf based 29er.
After I rode it briefly, I had to get off to make sure it was actually
geared up (it was)

Most giraffes have a tiny bit of slop too.

Old November 13th 07, 09:51 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

How does going down steep hills with no brake feel on a 36" guni in
geared mode? I would think that the downhills would hurt your legs
more since it would take more to control and slow down...but I guess
that is where a brake comes in handy. I was descending a long 8 mile
stretch of 7-8% gradient on my coker the other day with 150mm cranks
and my legs were definitely feeling the strain of not having a brake.

Old November 13th 07, 10:17 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
mscalisi

I'm not sure it really takes more to slow down, especially if you have
longer cranks. Maybe a little more effort.

The thing I'm noticing is that fast isn't scary. OK, it is scary
because you know a crash will suck!

I did a ride this last Sunday with other riders, and blew past them on
the downhills, including a Schlumpf 29er. It doesn't feel that fast
because you're not spinning like mad. When my cadence starts to get
high, I know I'm in trouble.

I didn't have a cycle computer with me, but I'm guessing I was
somewhere around 22 mph. I could easily have gone faster. Ungeared, I
hit a brick wall around 18mph.

siafirede wrote:
How does going down steep hills with no brake feel on a 36" guni in
geared mode? I would think that the downhills would hurt your legs
more since it would take more to control and slow down...but I guess
that is where a brake comes in handy. I was descending a long 8 mile
stretch of 7-8% gradient on my coker the other day with 150mm cranks
and my legs were definitely feeling the strain of not having a brake.

--
mscalisi

Unicycle for (reducing the) Buddha

http://www.usenet.com

The new Schlumpf 36er in a Nimbus frame is here Daytripper63 Unicycling 25 November 2nd 07 01:19 PM
360 radial 36er littleman Unicycling 3 October 22nd 07 06:02 AM
Schlumpf 36er crank arms? Daytripper63 Unicycling 7 October 13th 07 12:07 AM
GB4 36er or G5, which would you choose? aspenmike Unicycling 12 December 28th 05 03:30 PM
Coker, Schlumpf 29er, or Schlumpf 36er siafirede Unicycling 9 November 11th 05 11:37 PM