Rollers?

Old September 19th 08, 07:58 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skrobo

Default Rollers?

semach.the.monkey wrote:
I've tried it, and it's horrible! There just isn't any feedback coming
from the unicycle to let you know if you're leaning slightly too far
forwards or backwards until it's too late to do anything about it.
Roger from UDC tried just after me and described the feeling as being
similar to coasting but you're pedaling at the same time.

To be honest, if it's just for building up your leg muscles, you're
probably just better off with an exercise bike.

STM

i was about to say that there wouldn't be any feedback, and balance
corrections would be much more problematic.

--
skrobo

Unicycle For Christ

'MY VIDEOS' (http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=skroboskim)
'World Record' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oig5IEq-v4Y)
"dude when i first got into this sport and saw one of you videos i
almost threw up it was so sick"
Old September 19th 08, 08:20 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
johnfoss

Though you might be able to ride briefly on them, rollers do not work
for unicycle training. What you need is a LeMond RevMaster spin bike.
This is a stationary bike (which, like almost all stationary bikes has
only one wheel) with a 40-pound flywheel and a fixed gear. That means
it rides like a Coker. Plant a fan in front of you (TV or laptop
optional) and off you go!

I just happen to have one of those, which I bought for RTL training and
didn't use much. It works great, but I mostly ended up just riding
outside. And you're close enough to actually buy it if interested! If
the price is right I'll even bring it to you. This thing retails for
$1100 but now it's "used" so the price would be a whole lot less!

'Here's what it looks like'
(http://www.lemondfitness.com/products_info.php?id=5). BTW it's lots of
fun to watch non-unicyclist ride it and get their feet momentarily
tangled up when the pedals won't freewheel...

--
johnfoss

John Foss

Man with broken collar bone say: "Have you checked your shoelaces
lately?"
Old September 19th 08, 09:40 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
uniaddict

semach.the.monkey wrote:
I've tried it, and it's horrible! There just isn't any feedback coming
from the unicycle to let you know if you're leaning slightly too far
forwards or backwards until it's too late to do anything about it.

Well I guess its a fail then. Thats okay because I like the
exercise bike idea better. I just thought rollers could be a good idea
because you could train stationary while on a uni. I will think about
the exercise bike idea though. I could get one for strength training.
Thanks for the help.

--
uniaddict

Any bay area riders up for a ride PM me!
'SixSixOne' (http://sixsixone.com/)
*85 foot coast!*

on rollers [email protected] Racing 34 September 20th 06 11:27 PM
1 hr on rollers = ??? toadman General 4 March 11th 06 12:51 AM
Rollers Dave Chadderton UK 3 January 9th 05 10:43 PM
WTD: Rollers paul.obinson24 UK 22 December 29th 03 08:09 PM
training wheels for rollers revisited -- front roller placement, steel pipe rollers F1 Techniques 1 November 25th 03 04:46 PM