For the Walter Mittys Among Us

Old March 31st 05, 05:46 PM
SlowRider

Default For the Walter Mittys Among Us

This is a topic I nearly got into with the "what it is to love a sport"
thread, but thought better of it. Take a look at the following article
on VeloNews, especially at the bit about bike races in South Africa.

http://www.velonews.com/train/articles/7768.0.html

Riding alongside Miguel Indurain?? Wow.

Bike races there sound a lot like big running races here in the states
(think Bay to Breakers, or Bolder Boulder, or even the Boston
Marathon). The article above addresses exactly what I've missed since
I had to stop running to save my knees.

In the ~10 years since I've been cycling regularly, I've noticed a
distinct difference between the "elite" cyclists who race, and
....everybody else. There doesn't appear to be room for those of us who
want to pursue PR's and enjoy the comraderie of _friendly_ competition.
There's a big gap between the casual weekend rides (out-and-back to
the local bakery) for the 13-16MPH crowd and sanctioned races for the
hard-core 25MPH+ crowd.

Can you imagine someone showing up to a road race in the U.S. with a
mountain bike, or better yet, a hand-cycle? Yet consider the
following:

"Another beauty of racing in South Africa is it doesn't matter what you
ride for equipment. Just ride! I saw folks on mountain bikes doing the
108km Argus up big climbs. Lots of them walked, but it didn't matter.
There were also about 20 hand cyclists. All are welcome."

All are welcome -- that's the key. I love doing charity rides and
local events, but it would be so nice to have a venue for casual
racing. Us Walter Mittys need an outlet!

-JR

Old March 31st 05, 06:46 PM
RonSonic

On 31 Mar 2005 08:46:05 -0800, "SlowRider" wrote:

[...]

If you asked me, this is the biggest hole in American cycling. Of course that's
because I'm the guy who falls between those categories and wishes there were
more time trials and cyclocrosses and other competitive but not cut-throat
events.

Aside from my own selfish interests, there should be more intermediate events
for youngsters who might be brought into the sport. USCF doesn't seem to have
any interest in kids beyond who's likely to win the Juniors next year. What's
the kid who might win 5 years from now supposed to do. Ride BMX?

Ron
Old March 31st 05, 08:06 PM
Peter Cole

SlowRider wrote:

In the ~10 years since I've been cycling regularly, I've noticed a
distinct difference between the "elite" cyclists who race, and
...everybody else. There doesn't appear to be room for those of us

who
want to pursue PR's and enjoy the comraderie of _friendly_

competition.
There's a big gap between the casual weekend rides (out-and-back to
the local bakery) for the 13-16MPH crowd and sanctioned races for the
hard-core 25MPH+ crowd.

Most of our local (Boston) riding seems to be in that big "gap". We
have several weekly rides that, while not being races, are quite
competitive. I think this is fairly typical where there's a good local
cycling scene. We generally break into fairly small groups and have
staggered starts, with faster riders going out first. I'd say speeds
for a rolling 30-40 mile loop range between 24+ to perhaps 16. The
competitive aspect comes from just being able to hang on to the group
you start with. Our Saturday morning ride frequently draws over 100
riders, it runs all year.

All are welcome -- that's the key. I love doing charity rides and
local events, but it would be so nice to have a venue for casual
racing. Us Walter Mittys need an outlet!

We also have a weekly crit (closed course), with separate races for
different levels. Anyone can ride beginners (cat 5).

Old March 31st 05, 10:04 PM
bbaka

Peter Cole wrote:
SlowRider wrote:

In the ~10 years since I've been cycling regularly, I've noticed a
distinct difference between the "elite" cyclists who race, and
...everybody else. There doesn't appear to be room for those of us

who

want to pursue PR's and enjoy the comraderie of _friendly_

competition.

You've noticed that, huh. I am one of those 13-16 MPH people and just
have fun being out and around, stopping to talk to strangers or
whatever. Way better than plopping on the couch and turning on the much
maligned (with good reason) boob tube.

There's a big gap between the casual weekend rides (out-and-back to
the local bakery) for the 13-16MPH crowd and sanctioned races for the
hard-core 25MPH+ crowd.

Most of our local (Boston) riding seems to be in that big "gap". We
have several weekly rides that, while not being races, are quite
competitive. I think this is fairly typical where there's a good local
cycling scene. We generally break into fairly small groups and have
staggered starts, with faster riders going out first. I'd say speeds
for a rolling 30-40 mile loop range between 24+ to perhaps 16. The
competitive aspect comes from just being able to hang on to the group
you start with. Our Saturday morning ride frequently draws over 100
riders, it runs all year.

We have one yearly ride in my area and it is a charity ride. It is
called "Bike Around the Buttes" and has all types. I start first at 6:55
AM, the official time is 7:00, and usually pass the first refreshment
stop before it is set up at the 10 mile point. After this the speed
riders begin to overtake me and I back off a bit more for the slower
riders to catch up for my 5 minute head start. From there on I ride
slower and talk more up until the finish at 40, 60, or even 100 miles
depending on the course I have chosen. There is also a 20 mile and a 10
mile course for the elderly or out of shape to take part in. The 25 MPH+
crowd thinks it is a race but officially it is a tour for charity and
racing speeds are actually frowned upon. Some of the racers have nearly
caused accidents passing the 8 to 12 MPH groups who tend to meander
around the pavement since vehicles other than support are blocked on
most sections. This event is coming up in about 3 weeks. Take a look.
History and scenic info.
http://www.syix.com/yubacity/sutterbuttes.html
The actual sponsor.
http://www.bikearoundthebuttes.com/
This year it is on April 16.
It is a great ride, no racing, and all types of riders are welcome.
Bill Baka

Old April 1st 05, 01:43 AM
Neil Cherry

On 31 Mar 2005 08:46:05 -0800, SlowRider wrote:

There's a big gap between the casual weekend rides (out-and-back to
the local bakery) for the 13-16MPH crowd and sanctioned races for the
hard-core 25MPH+ crowd.

Hey that's the rides I lead! I just ride a lot more miles than most
ride leaders. Honest 17 - 19 mph avg over 100 miles (we're only up to
60 right now). I only get a handful of riders that do it
consistently.

--
Linux Home Automation Neil Cherry
http://home.comcast.net/~ncherry/ (Text only)
Old April 1st 05, 03:26 AM
Larry

Neil Cherry wrote:
On 31 Mar 2005 08:46:05 -0800, SlowRider wrote:

There's a big gap between the casual weekend rides (out-and-back to
the local bakery) for the 13-16MPH crowd and sanctioned races for the
hard-core 25MPH+ crowd.

Hey that's the rides I lead! I just ride a lot more miles than most
ride leaders. Honest 17 - 19 mph avg over 100 miles (we're only up to
60 right now). I only get a handful of riders that do it
consistently.

Just lead past a lot of donut shops.
New Guy