how much torque can a profile actually take?

Old December 16th 03, 07:40 AM
shadowuni

Default how much torque can a profile actually take?

if anyone knows, it would be a nice fact to have. thanks

--
shadowuni - Level 4.5 Unicyclist

"No one is taller than the last man standing"
shadowuni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4806

Old December 16th 03, 09:27 AM
andrew_carter

Unfortunately nobody's ever done those sorts of experiements. If I had
unlimited money I might consider it. It'd be great to know hey? You
can't work it out from the drop size because people land differently.
Chris Reeder (I think) broke a Profile crank from about a 1.5m drop and
Kris Holm and others do massive drops without (always) breaking them.

Andrew

--
andrew_carter - www.unicycles.com.au

andrew_carter (at) mail (dot) com
http://www.unicycles.com.au - Open now!

Old December 16th 03, 09:54 PM
johnfoss

shadowuni wrote:
*if anyone knows, it would be a nice fact to have. thanks *

Actually I think it would be kind of a useless fact, because of all the
variables mentioned above.

With regular unicycle axles, they don't break from a single drop or
shock (unless your name is Ryan Atkins maybe), they break from an
accumulation of all your drops, plus stops and starts, idling, and even
mounts. This is metal fatigue.

With the welded-component design of the Profiles, I don't know if
fatigue is the same leading factor in breakage, or if it's something
else. But a light-landing rider like Kris might be able to do 2, 3, or
even 10 times the number of drops of a less skilled rider who lands
harder.

For the same reason, it's hard for sellers, like Unicycle.com, to
quantify how much abuse any piece of hardware is designed to take. Until
recently, all we had were Suzue, Semcycle, and other "regular" axles,
and we usually made them last years. Of course we weren't beating on
them as much as today's crop of extreme riders...

--
johnfoss - IUF Director

John Foss, the Uni-Cyclone
"jfoss" at "unicycling.com"
www.unicycling.com

"My sister wanted to buy the new Eminem CD. I had to say to her, 'Like,
you can't hear it.'" — my nephew Austin Miller, whose sister Alexa is
100% deaf... But she can ride a unicycle!

Old December 18th 03, 07:27 AM
thefatcontroller

It would still be very interesting if all hub/crank combinations were
tested to destruction. The comparison might tell you which - under the
same jumping/dropping conditions - was the stronger.

I, for one, with a weight of 102 kg, would be very interested to know
that, even thouigh there are many other factors involved in how long a
hub/crank survives abuse.

SImon

--
thefatcontroller - Muni Madman

CumbriaMuni (dot) com
The home of Mountain Unicycling in the Lake District
thefatcontroller's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4619

Old December 18th 03, 08:08 AM
tomblackwood

shadowuni wrote:
*if anyone knows, it would be a nice fact to have. thanks *

This man knows, but be careful. He bites.

http://tinyurl.com/2bjvy

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....