Couple organizes life around bikes

Old March 27th 05, 06:10 PM
Ken Marcet

Default Couple organizes life around bikes

http://www.greenbaynewschron.com/pag...article=130639
Pretty interesting article, just kind of goes to show that it IS possible to
live without a motor vehicle here in these United States of America. And
heck if gas prices keep going up, and from what I can tell they will keep
going up you might see more people breaking that old bike out of the garage
and dusting it off! I think I saw a report on the 24/7 news channel that
said gas could hit an average of $2.25 a gallon this summer, that is a lot!
So for $5.00 you get a little over 2 gallons, which won't get you very far.

Ken
--
More of my mind dribblings: http://mind-dribble.blogspot.com/
And my homepage: http://kcm-home.tripod.com/

Old March 27th 05, 07:17 PM
Rich

Ken Marcet wrote:

gas could hit an average of $2.25 a gallon this summer, that is a lot!
So for $5.00 you get a little over 2 gallons, which won't get you very far.

2.25 is less then people in Europe pay now.

And now that the Chinese are getting in on the car craze, I'd not expect
demand/prices to drop. I'm thinking they're just going to continue to
rise.

I'm all for higher gas prices. That's about the only thing that will
get people to use less, thereby lessening our dependence on questionable
countries. SUVs are ineffecient, they need to be prices out of existance.

Rich
Old March 27th 05, 07:59 PM
Cheto

"Rich" wrote in message

I'm all for higher gas prices. That's about the only thing that will
get people to use less, thereby lessening our dependence on questionable
countries. SUVs are ineffecient, they need to be prices out of existance.

People who can afford the large, gas guzzling Pick-ups and SUV's aren't
going to be deterred by higher gas prices. All higher gas prices will do is
hurt the less affluent who have to drive to get to work and cause the price
of transporting everything we buy to go up, which will, of course, get
passed on to us.

Cheto

Old March 27th 05, 08:35 PM
Ken Marcet

"Cheto" wrote in message

"Rich" wrote in message

I'm all for higher gas prices. That's about the only thing that will
get people to use less, thereby lessening our dependence on questionable
countries. SUVs are ineffecient, they need to be prices out of

existance.

People who can afford the large, gas guzzling Pick-ups and SUV's aren't
going to be deterred by higher gas prices. All higher gas prices will do

is
hurt the less affluent who have to drive to get to work and cause the

price
of transporting everything we buy to go up, which will, of course, get
passed on to us.

Cheto

True suv's and pick-ups are here to stay, but they may become less common,
if they start to loose thier appeal to people who don't *need* them, like
the single guy down the block that has one just to try to impress the women.
These are the suv'ers that I hate the most, you almost never see them with
more than 1 passenger, so why not just drive a little Prius? I will tell you
why: not enough *bling" factor in the Prius! The heck with the *bling*!
Ken

Old March 27th 05, 09:19 PM
Just zis Guy, you know?

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 10:59:23 -0800, "Cheto"
wrote in message
:

People who can afford the large, gas guzzling Pick-ups and SUV's aren't
going to be deterred by higher gas prices. All higher gas prices will do is
hurt the less affluent who have to drive to get to work and cause the price
of transporting everything we buy to go up, which will, of course, get
passed on to us.

And any other five good reasons you can think of for preserving an
obviously unsustainable and pernicious status quo.

Although there is no real evidence that high fuel prices affect
transport choices in the short term (and this applies equally to the
less affluent, incidentally, a group whose car use is steadily
increasing in the UK despite the high fuel prices), there is fair
evidence that, in the longer term, taxation does have some effect on
reducing car mileage.

Actually I think you may find that, in real terms, costs of motoring
are falling year-on-year in real terms despite rising fuel prices.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Old March 27th 05, 09:40 PM
maxo

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:35:01 -0500, Ken Marcet wrote:

will tell you why: not enough *bling" factor in the Prius!

Depends on where you live, in Hollywood driving a Prius *is* bling in
certain circles. However, I'd love to see Leo DeCraprio show up at the
Oscars on a Bianchi Milano. Black version of course.

Old March 27th 05, 09:53 PM
Ken Marcet

wrote in message
:

[...]

Well I don't know any actual stats, but with the advent of moden electronic
control systems, and better synthetic lubricants and such the cost of
maintaining a new car bought today is less than a new car bought 20 years
ago.

Old March 27th 05, 09:55 PM
Ken Marcet

"maxo" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 14:35:01 -0500, Ken Marcet wrote:

will tell you why: not enough *bling" factor in the Prius!

Depends on where you live, in Hollywood driving a Prius *is* bling in
certain circles. However, I'd love to see Leo DeCraprio show up at the
Oscars on a Bianchi Milano. Black version of course.

Oh yeah in certain circles out there it is in to be *green*, Leo, Diaz, and
a couple of others I have heard about but I don't remember who are
eco-friendly.

Old March 27th 05, 11:40 PM
Chris Neary

True suv's and pick-ups are here to stay, but they may become less common,
if they start to loose thier appeal to people who don't *need* them, like
the single guy down the block that has one just to try to impress the women.

Actually, I read an article this week which stated truck-based SUV sale
volume has declined about 20% over the last several years. I would have
discounted this claim, except the quoted source was with Ford.

Consumers are beginning to understand the limitatations of these vehicles
and are switching to alternatives such as car-based (i.e, uni-body
construction) SUV's, which are significantly lighter, handle better, and are
more fuel efficient (at least for equivalent performance).

Higher gas prices will only reinforce this trend.

Chris Neary

"We will teach our twisted speech to the young believers"
-- The Clash
Old March 27th 05, 11:50 PM
Ken Marcet

"Chris Neary" wrote in message
True suv's and pick-ups are here to stay, but they may become less

common,
if they start to loose thier appeal to people who don't *need* them, like
the single guy down the block that has one just to try to impress the

women.

Actually, I read an article this week which stated truck-based SUV sale
volume has declined about 20% over the last several years. I would have
discounted this claim, except the quoted source was with Ford.

Yeah I think I may have heard the same thing, but we are still going to have
to suffer with all the BIG suv's until the go to the big car crusher in the
sky!