One for Sheldon maybe: sprocket thickness, uniglide vs. hyperglide

Old March 30th 05, 07:12 PM
maxo

Default One for Sheldon maybe: sprocket thickness, uniglide vs. hyperglide

Again, pertaining to the recycled $8 Rockhopper (It's now got $45
invested as I'm a big spender :P).

The rear mech is a Deore SIS 6 speed with a 6 speed cassette. Five
sprockets, their corresponding spacers and a sprocket that screws onto the
*outside* of the cassette as a lock ring.

From what I've researched, Shimano built 6, 7, and 8 speeds on this
particular Uniglide cassette, the difference simply being the spacers.

Mine's set up 13-31, which is a bit broad for the city and the shifting is
rather noisy, albeit accurate. I'm wanting to go 13-26.

I've got a bunch of sprockets from a Sram cassette I broke up to get some
spacers for my SS project, and they've got a couple thousand more miles to
spare. These will fit fine on the UG body if I grind off the large "tooth"
that's specific to the hyperglide body.

So far so good, in theory at least, It all depends on the Sram sprockets
being the same thickness as the UG sprockets. I'm not going to go make
myself a chain whip if they ain't--but if they are, it seems to be a cheap
way to keep using this UG body (I don't mind investing garage time on this
bike as it's interesting play, but don't want to throw money at it). 6
speeds is plenty for 'round town, but the 13-31 spread makes the jumps
between gears a little annoying. The shifting promises to be much improved
as well.

Any gearheads care to comment?

Old March 30th 05, 10:25 PM
Maggie

maxo wrote:
Again, pertaining to the recycled $8 Rockhopper (It's now got $45
invested as I'm a big spender :P).

The rear mech is a Deore SIS 6 speed with a 6 speed cassette. Five
sprockets, their corresponding spacers and a sprocket that screws

onto the
*outside* of the cassette as a lock ring.

From what I've researched, Shimano built 6, 7, and 8 speeds on this
[...]

So, as I see it, if there is a very technical question, we go to
Sheldon. So who do we address the dumb questions (to)? Sorry to end a
sentence with a preposition, but who cares about (it). ;-) Boy I am
punchy today. I am going to "happy hour" after work. One absolute
martini, dirty, with two olives. Have a great evening Bicycle people.
Love,
Maggie
Maggie

Old March 30th 05, 10:33 PM
wafflycat

"Maggie" wrote in message
ups.com...

So, as I see it, if there is a very technical question, we go to
Sheldon. So who do we address the dumb questions (to)? Sorry to end a
sentence with a preposition, but who cares about (it). ;-) Boy I am
punchy today. I am going to "happy hour" after work. One absolute
martini, dirty, with two olives. Have a great evening Bicycle people.
Love,
Maggie
Maggie

Sheldon is The Oracle.
Sheldon is the Great Fount Of Knowledge; The Big Giant Sprocket who is
All-Seeing and All-Knowing about matters pedal cycle.
He, via his great omniscissinsse...errr, whatever, knows when his name is
uttered, even in hushed voices anywhere on the Net. One just has to repeat
the incantation

Sheldon, Sheldon, Sheldon
Answer the lowly plea of a cyclist in need
Sheldon, oh Sheldon
I promise faithfully to worship at the altar of sheldonbrown.com

Your plea is likely to be answered.

Cheers, helen s
(in need of medication)

Old March 30th 05, 10:40 PM
maxo

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:33:58 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

Your plea is likely to be answered.

I was my own oracle. managed to get the lock sprocket off with
channel-locks and a piece of rubber (don't ask, it worked and was gentle),
took apart the existing cassette, shaved the nubs off of the spacers,
ground the fat prongs down on the Sram sprockets and reassembled.

Shifts beautifully and runs silently. Would probably run a bit better with
a new chain, not a hyperglide.

/me hugs parts bucket.

Never throw anything away, one day you'll need that cotter!

Old March 30th 05, 10:46 PM
Neil Brooks

maxo wrote:

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 22:33:58 +0100, wafflycat wrote:

Your plea is likely to be answered.

I was my own oracle. managed to get the lock sprocket off with
channel-locks and a piece of rubber (don't ask, it worked and was gentle),
took apart the existing cassette, shaved the nubs off of the spacers,
ground the fat prongs down on the Sram sprockets and reassembled.

Shifts beautifully and runs silently. Would probably run a bit better with
a new chain, not a hyperglide.

/me hugs parts bucket.

Never throw anything away, one day you'll need that cotter!

Sheldon also knows when it's best to sit back and let us cycling
plebeians figure it out for ourselves.
Old March 30th 05, 11:19 PM
maxo

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 21:46:48 +0000, Neil Brooks wrote:

Sheldon also knows when it's best to sit back and let us cycling plebeians
figure it out for ourselves.

Who you callin' plebian? Once you start using a bench grinder to modify
parts, you've entered the "zone". I was merely requesting an opinion for
an, er, "colleague". LOL

(Sheldon *does* make my knowledge base look that that of a wee child...)

Old March 30th 05, 11:28 PM
Alex Colvin

Sheldon is The Oracle.
Sheldon is the Great Fount Of Knowledge; The Big Giant Sprocket who is
All-Seeing and All-Knowing about matters pedal cycle.

Or if his answer is not enlightening it will be entertaining.

--
mac the naïf
Old March 30th 05, 11:33 PM
wafflycat

"Alex Colvin" wrote in message

Or if his answer is not enlightening it will be entertaining.

Oh yes, I'm looking forward to April 1st :-)

Cheers, helen s

--
mac the naïf

Old March 31st 05, 01:15 AM
Tom Keats

In article ,
maxo writes:

(Sheldon *does* make my knowledge base look that that of a wee child...)

I stand in awe of Andrew Muzi's knowledge base as well.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old March 31st 05, 03:31 AM
Rich

Maggie wrote:

So who do we address the dumb questions (to)?

"Little Bill" Baka

He'll have an answer. And a story. And it'll be a good one.

Removing brompton sprocket Tim Woodall UK 4 February 22nd 05 08:29 PM
New Chainrings, Old Chain and Sprocket Type bigsky Techniques 0 December 22nd 04 05:04 AM
New bicycle idea Bob Marley General 49 October 7th 04 05:20 AM
68x10 gym gravity Racing 43 August 31st 04 02:39 PM