The Deadly Truth of Shoelaces. (post your shoelace related adventures here)

Old September 7th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
nimblelight

Default The Deadly Truth of Shoelaces. (post your shoelace related adventures here)

It kinda makes me feel bad to do this on my own thread.

Ah well.
[image:
http://icanhascheezburger.files.word...ssistant1.jpg]

--
nimblelight

'Front page unicycle article'
(http://www.unicyclist.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=72686).
Old September 7th 08, 05:07 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
silentspoon

I was riding my Coker with Roakey along Cherry Creek in Denver when
suddenly my shoe got very very tight. There were loads of people
around, in front of me, behind me, and I was just crossing a bridge.

I managed to fall catching the railing on the side of the bridge. I
had to sit down and physically unwind my lace from the crank\hub. It
was a serious close-call.

When a lace gets caught, you've only got a couple revolutions at the
most to figure things out. You're lucky if the lace breaks.

Tuck in those laces!

--
silentspoon
Old September 7th 08, 05:12 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
siafirede

GizmoDuck wrote:
The best I've seen was Siaferides face plant on The SINZ Tour. It
looked pretty impressive from where I was.

I never ever unicycle with shoelaces. It's dangerous. I had a few
hard faceplants when I first started riding. Thankfully that was on a
20".

I was going quite fast down the hill and it happened really fast, but I
do remember the horrible feeling of my laces getting tighter. I still
have quite a nasty scar on my shoulder from it, and luckily I only had
those cuts. I bet it looked impressive! There was a tour bus coming
from the other direction that slammed on their breaks when they saw me
crash and the driver asked if I was alright. Nice people in NZ.

I use the Salomons now for riding, they are great since they don't have
laces, but they could be a little more grippy.

--
siafirede

'DCuni' (http://www.dcuni.com/blog) - my blog about Unicycling in
Washington DC, Virginia, Maryland
*James* = my name | 'Myspace' (http://www.myspace.com/clawsout)
Old September 7th 08, 11:21 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
munirocks

On the left are my laceless shoes for untechnical short rides in town,
on the right my slightly worn out, soon to be replaced, muni/coker
shoes with the laces tucked in. I do recommend checking the laces once
in a while, because they happen to come loose occasionally.

|Filename: P070908_12.10.jpg |

munirocks

I am Christian but I ride for myself.
Old September 7th 08, 11:39 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
jamessd

I can't really decide if getting laces caught is worse on a bike though
tbh. I have done it a good few times - slowed down to untangle them,
and then realised I can't actually take my foot off the pedal thus
falling slowly to the ground with no means of prevention. It's
degrading when that happens. And someone always has to see it!

--
jamessd

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCsb3y-YOSk
Add me, but tel me who you are :

scott aka 1-wheeled-grape wrote:
I could never do yoga... I'm too fat I was forced to do it in primary
school and the results were by no means fun

Old September 7th 08, 02:08 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
surndr

I have gotten caught before it stinks. I was riding when my laces got
caught there was a car coming so had to do the hop,fall,drag dance to
the edge of the road. not fun.

--
surndr

Am I supposed to say something amazing here ?
Old September 7th 08, 07:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cathwood

littleman wrote:
That made me cringe just reading it.

I've got the shoelace wrapped around the spindle of the pedal twice.
The scariest time was when I was riding over to my friends house in the
pitch black at like 9:00 and it wrapped around. I was in the middle of
the street with a car coming. I had to drag my foot with the unicyle
attatched to it to the side of the road, with a piece of flesh on my
ankle also caught.

this is very similar to what happened to me. I felt my foot pull and
looked down, then in slow motion I was pulled with the peddle down onto
the road. Owch, then the frantic scrabble to the side of the road before
I got run over.

--
cathwood

Cathy
Old September 7th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
1-wheeled-grape

I always tuck my laces in now... The pedal actually untied my laces
once, the other time they wrapped up so tight the lace actually ripped
my shoe, but I was still stuck to my uni by the foot. It was probably
the worst bail I have had. Plus I had to tug at my shoe to get it off
of my foot, relace it and untangle it from my pedal and put it back on,
in the pouring rain, at night where there was barely any light.

Remember to tuck them is!

--
1-wheeled-grape

Scott,

'Restoring a Mini Mayfair... It's going to be awesome!!!!!!'
(http://tinyurl.com/6jry36)
'My bebo thingy' (http://www.bebo.com/unicyclist_for_life)
Old September 7th 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
rocket

nimblelight wrote:
BOTH of them?

I HAVE done this!! I was late for work one morning and decided to ride
my uni up from the car park as that would be quicker than walking and I
had the uni in the car. Our car park is on the opposite corner of a T
junction from the site entrance and just as I got to the centre of the
T, at the stop line I felt that tightening feeling and came to a sudden
stop, falling forward onto my hands because I couldn't get either foot
off the pedals. I was then left lieing with bleeding palms in the
middle of the junction stuck fast to the unicycle while I tried to
reach down and untangle at least one foot so that I could get off the
road. Fortunately, since I was already late, not too many of my work
colleagues saw me to compound my embarassment.

Needless to say I never ride with loose laces now.

--
rocket
Old September 7th 08, 08:49 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Mikefule

Every year I go to the Morris Ring Meeting at Thaxted in Essex, UK. 20
or more teams of traditional English dancers take it in turns to
perform in the main street of the town (which is closed to traffice for
the evening) with a crowd of somewhere around 2,000 or more.

Before the main show, there is a procession. Half the Morris dancers
start at the top of the hill at one end of the town; half start at the
top of the opposite hill. The two processions meet and form a big
circle of dancing men - and there's me on the unicycle, whizzing around
between the dancers.

One year, I was wearing Doc Martens with coloured extra long laces tied
in a multiple bow for decorative effect. The pedal quietly caught one
end of the lace and as I rode along, it undid the lace without me
noticing. By the time I did notice, the lace was wrapped several times
aroudn the pedal spindle and the road was coming up to meet me. And how
the crowd laughed.

--
Mikefule

"There's lots of things in theory. Sometimes I think it must be nearly
full." Sid Kipper

I AM HERE TO POST THE TRUTH ONLY! ed_dolan_jimmy_macnamara Recumbent Biking 0 October 24th 06 08:21 PM
Assault with a deadly weapon - a car? dannyfrankszzz UK 26 September 25th 05 01:31 PM
Shoelace endo hedge Unicycling 3 May 12th 05 05:15 PM
Yet another deadly motorist David Hansen UK 3 February 11th 05 11:21 AM
spd pedal and shoelace Yum Techniques 9 October 25th 04 08:34 PM