Bike commute and formal clothing (i.e. dresses? suits?)

Old August 18th 09, 08:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
[email protected][_2_]

Default Bike commute and formal clothing (i.e. dresses? suits?)

Hello,

I wonder what bike commuters do if they have to wear formal clothing
at their jobs? Does your workplace have a shower. If not, what do you
do?

When I was in college I had a job at a greenhouse that commute to by
bike daily. When I got there, I was usually sweaty. I'd use the
bathroom to wash up with a rag I brought from home.

Obviously, this wouldn't work for those who have to look - and smell -
nice for their jobs. So, what do you do?

Thanks,
Cullen
Appleton, WI
Old August 18th 09, 09:02 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
John Kane

On Aug 18, 3:59*pm, " wrote:
Hello,

I wonder what bike commuters do if they have to wear formal clothing
at their jobs? Does your workplace have a shower. If not, what do you
do?

Mine had change room and showers but for meetings off site I would do
a quick change in a handy bathroom ( handicapped cubicules are good
for this) or just ride from home in work clothes, albeit with the tie
undone.

Obviously, this wouldn't work for those who have to look - and smell -
nice for their jobs. So, what do you do?

Just what kind of job are you suggesting?

John Kane, Kingston ON Canada
Old August 19th 09, 12:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
someone

On 18 Aug, 20:59, " wrote:
Hello,

I wonder what bike commuters do if they have to wear formal clothing
at their jobs? Does your workplace have a shower. If not, what do you
do?

When I was in college I had a job at a greenhouse that commute to by
bike daily. When I got there, I was usually sweaty. I'd use the
bathroom to wash up with a rag I brought from home.

Obviously, this wouldn't work for those who have to look - and smell -
nice for their jobs. So, what do you do?

If you wash before you ride and wear clean clothes you will not smell
because of sweat (unless your diet is so different). A cooling mist
spray (peppermint alcolhol and water) to the face and a comb throught
the hair will make one presentable in seconds. Clothing choices need
to include synthetics because of the better drape folowing activity.
Synthetics will smell if not clean. Use mudguaards, waterproofs and
a hat when necessary. Always use trouser bands and fit a chaincase.

Formal clothes on the bike have the advantage of calming an
argumentative motrist. They'd like to rant at lycra lout btu are
faced with a 'respectable and trusted member of the community', " all
they see is the pinstripes."

Old August 19th 09, 03:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Aug 18, 3:59*pm, " wrote:
Hello,

I wonder what bike commuters do if they have to wear formal clothing
at their jobs? Does your workplace have a shower. If not, what do you
do?

When I was in college I had a job at a greenhouse that commute to by
bike daily. When I got there, I was usually sweaty. I'd use the
bathroom to wash up with a rag I brought from home.

Obviously, this wouldn't work for those who have to look - and smell -
nice for their jobs. So, what do you do?

This has been discussed here many times.

I'm a teacher. I commute in my work clothes, which are business
casual.

I've never needed a shower. I shower in the morning, before riding
in. It's seven miles, mostly flat and downhill on the way in. I take
it slow. Yes, I'm a bit sweaty when I arrive, but it's nothing
extreme.

The only time I've changed clothes has been riding in around noon for
an evening class in the summer - something that no longer happens, now
that I'm now near enough to total retirement. In that case, I've
sometimes changed my undershirt, but usually just sat in the lab where
I lock my bike and cooled down in front of a fan.

Clean sweat does not stink. If you do stink, talk to your doctor
about remedies. There are strong anti-bacterial soaps that can get
rid of the odor-causing bacteria.

I know for a fact that neither my colleagues nor my students can tell
when I've ridden in, vs. used the car. And I've been in Europe and
seen men and women in business attire - full formal suits on some of
the men, attractive skirts and high heels on some of the women -
obviously commuting by bike. The idea that a shower is necessary
after every bike ride seems to be an American invention.

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 19th 09, 06:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

In article ,
Tom Sherman °_° asks:

Would not one get sweaty working in a greenhouse?

Yes but so does one's cow-orkers, so it doesn't matter
so much. Same with working in a logistics warehouse,
working in marine shipping cans from overseas. Those
things can become like ovens when they're not shaded,
and the sun shines directly on 'em.

It does help when everybody comes in to work fresh.

The worst olfactory offences are from not how cow-orkers
sweat, but what they previously ate (or drank) before
coming in to work.

Really fresh laundry especially goes a long way toward
social acceptabilty.

And toward that end, clothesline drying during these
magnificently sunny summer days is far superior to
appliance dryers. It's "greener," more energy efficient,
and cheaper, too. Good ol' Sol is the best clothes dryer.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old August 19th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Aug 19, 1:13*am, (Tom Keats) wrote:
In article ,
* * * * Tom Sherman °_° asks:

Would not one get sweaty working in a greenhouse?

Yes *but so does one's cow-orkers,...

The worst olfactory offences are from not how cow-orkers...

Hmm. So how does one ork a cow?

- Frank Krygowski
Old August 21st 09, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
someone

On 19 Aug, 04:31, Tom Sherman °_°
wrote:
aka Cullen Carter wrote: Hello,

I wonder what bike commuters do if they have to wear formal clothing
at their jobs? Does your workplace have a shower. If not, what do you
do?

There is a bike store owner in Madison that rides to work wearing a suit
and dress shoes.

When I was in college I had a job at a greenhouse that commute to by
bike daily. When I got there, I was usually sweaty. I'd use the
bathroom to wash up with a rag I brought from home.

Would not one get sweaty working in a greenhouse?

Obviously, this wouldn't work for those who have to look - and smell -
nice for their jobs. So, what do you do?

A wipe down with rubbing alcohol will kill the organisms that produce
bad smells.

Use a brush when you shower.