black moldy crud in old water bottle

Old May 13th 09, 03:05 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Tom Keats

Default black moldy crud in old water bottle

In article ,
(It's Chris) writes:
mold doesn't adhere readily to polyethylene, so usually a bottle brush
and some soapy water will do the job.

There ya go.

Although, considering the misogynistic tone of
some of the Original Poster's previous posts,
I'm a little surprised he didn't decide bottle
cleaning is "women's work" and [attempt to] get
some woman to scrub it with a bottle brush for
him. Before ordering her to make him a sandwich.

Maybe he did. In which case, if he has to scrub
it himself, I think I know where he can find his
bottle brush.

As for chemical cleansers and home-brewing stuff,
trisodium phosphate (TSP) is the conventional
ingroodient. Trouble is, phosphates often make
good fertilizer for some botanical organisms --
especially certain algae which we don't really want
to become overly prolific, and which live a fair ways
downstream from our household drains.

So my vote is for mechanical rather than chemical
cleaning, too.

People are so scared of applying a li'l elbow grease.
Heck, a wet J-cloth pushed around with a chopstick
would probably do the trick.

cheers,
Tom

--
Nothing is safe from me.
I'm really at:
Old May 13th 09, 08:04 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Bellsouth Ijit 3.0 ®

wrote in message
I forget, isn't there some way to get rid of the black moldy cruds in
old water bottles? Vinegar? Baking soda? Does anybody remember?
Thanks.

Equal parts dish liquid and Clorox bleach, mixed with water. Rinse out
vigorously.

Old May 13th 09, 08:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
SMS

Neil Brooks wrote:
On May 10, 1:38 pm, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
"rms" wrote: Hydrogen peroxide, with some mechanical scrubbing works fine.

(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
When I want to gently mechanically scrub something like this, I dump in a
handful of coffee grounds and shake vigorously. (The bottle, not myself.)

... or coarse (like kosher) salt.

Some rice and water works very well.

I guess I wouldn't spend much time doing this, especially for most bottles.

I've gone all Soma for bottles now.

"http://www.somafab.com/bottle.html". No BPA, and no plasticky tast from
LDPE or HDPE.

Old May 13th 09, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Peter Cole[_2_]

SMS wrote:
Neil Brooks wrote:
On May 10, 1:38 pm, "Leo Lichtman" wrote:
"rms" wrote: Hydrogen peroxide, with some mechanical scrubbing works
fine.

(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
When I want to gently mechanically scrub something like this, I dump
in a
handful of coffee grounds and shake vigorously. (The bottle, not
myself.)

... or coarse (like kosher) salt.

Some rice and water works very well.

I guess I wouldn't spend much time doing this, especially for most bottles.

I've gone all Soma for bottles now.

"http://www.somafab.com/bottle.html". No BPA, and no plasticky tast from
LDPE or HDPE.

I'd just use hot water, dishwashing liquid & a sponge with tongs or
something. I don't have the problem since my bottles go into the
dishwasher after a ride.

I've used nothing but Polar insulated for several years now. They're BPA
& Phthalate free, LDPE, but I've never noticed a taste, and I drink
mostly water from them.
Old May 13th 09, 10:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc
Paul O

Peter Cole wrote, On 5/13/2009 5:23 PM:
SMS wrote:
Neil Brooks wrote:
[...]

Let me second Peter's recommendation for Polar insulated bottles; I
think they are a great product.

I've never detected a 'plastic' taste and the dishwasher cleans them
beautifully (top rack only!)
--

Paul D Oosterhout
I work for SAIC (but I don't speak for SAIC)

What's in your water bottle? Jim UK 27 April 17th 08 11:21 AM
Vintage campagnolo water bottle with the bottle cage- $10.00 [email protected] Marketplace 0 February 1st 08 01:17 AM
Ode to a water bottle Patrick Lamb General 2 September 25th 05 11:57 PM
Water Bottle for a 20K TT - yes or no? GaryG Racing 13 May 23rd 05 12:33 AM
Zefal Isotherm water bottle keeps water coldest? chris General 77 July 27th 04 01:46 AM