trikes?

Old April 21st 11, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech,alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent
Tºm Shermªn™ °_°[_2_]

Default trikes?

On 4/20/2011 4:28 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
Harry Brogan wrote:
On Tue, 19 Apr 2011 15:34:16 -0700 (PDT), Andre Jute
wrote:

On Apr 19, 5:37 am, "Kerry Montgomery" wrote:
Hi all,
Am in the market for a trike, for balance reasons. All I see are
recumbents,
but don't know what the (dis)advantages are of tadpoles and deltas
are. Or,
for that matter, if there are brands that are well regarded.
Thanks,
Kerry
I went into this trikes thoroughly a few years ago. I dismissed 1F2R
wheel designs at the outset as basically unstable, good only for
shopping at very moderate pace, which I don't think is what you have
in mind.

IIRC correctly, I settled on the Anthrotech as the best buy, being
well-made, easy to get into and out of, safe and reasonable fast:
http://anthrotech.de/Pages-e/index-e.html

Stateside there was this, which may or may not be more of a novelty
than a bike, but which I eventually dismissed as too low to be
practical either for sitting/rising or visibility on the road.
http://www.pedalcoupe.com/

Among the low speedsters, not useful on my roads:

I looked at a well-reputed, well-priced folding, very low recumbent
tricycle from HP Velotech, but can't find the file now; they're in a
big way of business, so you can find them on the net

This one I liked for its technical interest -- my own specialty in
automobiles is suspension, so my fascination with such a beautiful set
of A-frames follows naturally:
http://www.tripendo.com/EDEFAULT.htm

And this is what I would have bought if I were in the market for such
a low device:
http://www.tripod-bikes.com/
The Tripod is in about the same price group as my Utopia Kranich,
which for a tricycle with many more components, competently made by a
Dutch firm, is not outrageous. Note though that essentials like
mudguards and lights are extra. Probably, fully fitted up right out to
the panniers, ready to tour, a Rohloff version mght leave a bit of
change out of six grand American, standing on your driveway.

As an only or everyday bike, the Anthrotech seemed the most practical.

Andre Jute
http://members.lycos.co.uk/fiultra/Andre%20Jute's%20Utopia%20Kranich.pdf

Why didn't you mention that there are numerous manufacturers out there
that are inherently cheaper than the models you describe here. For
someone that is just starting out 3 grand is quite an investment.

Perhaps Mr Sherman can comment:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...icycle&x=0&y=0

The TerraTrike Rover and Path models would be considered "entry level
bike shop quality" - roughly equivalent to your $250-350 upright comfort
bike. However, I would avoid the 1 and 3-speed versions unless you live
in a pancake flat area, and spend the extra money for the 8-speed hub.
The more expensive TerraTrike models will offer wider range gearing,
less weight, better components, and/or a more aggressive (more reclined
and lower) riding position. http://www.terratrike.com/index.php

I would not consider the lower prices trike for anything beyond going
around the neighborhood or a few miles down a bike path and back.

Here are some more relatively affordable trikes that are good values:
http://www.easyracers.com/ezseries.html.

Of course you can spend $4975 plus shipping from Old Blighty for this:
http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/hypersport.htm. drool

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

trikes? Kerry Montgomery Techniques 28 April 27th 11 05:21 AM
Trikes Mike Fox Recumbent Biking 4 June 28th 07 01:17 AM
KMX Trikes? Trailgalore Recumbent Biking 1 April 2nd 05 07:59 PM
Legal Requirements for Braking systems on Trikes/Recumbent Trikes Russ UK 4 March 9th 04 10:01 AM