The use of a woolen scarf in cycling

Old June 24th 11, 07:17 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

Default The use of a woolen scarf in cycling

Stuffed if I know what others do with their woolen scarves in cycling
but I use my woolen scarf to keep the neck and the front of my torso
warm during these past few days of slightly cooler weather.

A warmer body core temperature during the start of a 3am ride is nice
even if I do heat up considerably, to dispense with the scarf wrapping,
within 10-15 mins of cycling.

My crappy Adidas wind cheater holds the scarf all nicely tucked in, long
enough to get me started and by the time the nice scarf wrapping which I
started with, falls apart, due to a 60-90 plus cadence, I am
sufficiently warmed up to continue my journey

I like my woolen scarf during times like these
Old June 24th 11, 09:16 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Rob

On 24/06/2011 4:17 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:
Stuffed if I know what others do with their woolen scarves in cycling
but I use my woolen scarf to keep the neck and the front of my torso
warm during these past few days of slightly cooler weather.

A warmer body core temperature during the start of a 3am ride is nice
even if I do heat up considerably, to dispense with the scarf wrapping,
within 10-15 mins of cycling.

My crappy Adidas wind cheater holds the scarf all nicely tucked in, long
enough to get me started and by the time the nice scarf wrapping which I
started with, falls apart, due to a 60-90 plus cadence, I am
sufficiently warmed up to continue my journey

I like my woolen scarf during times like these

Be careful with that you may end up like Isadora Duncan.

Duncan's fondness for flowing scarves was the cause of her death in an
automobile accident in Nice, France. Duncan's large silk scarf, while
still draped around her neck, became entangled around one of the
vehicle's open-spoked wheels and rear axle, breaking her neck.
Old June 24th 11, 09:26 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Jack Russell

On 24/06/2011 18:16, Rob wrote:
[...]

Ah, Lanny Budd's lover in The Worlds End series

--
Remove norubbish to reply
Old June 24th 11, 04:41 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 24/06/2011 6:16 PM, Rob wrote:
On 24/06/2011 4:17 PM, Geoff Lock wrote:

My crappy Adidas wind cheater holds the scarf all nicely tucked in, long
enough to get me started and by the time the nice scarf wrapping which I
started with, falls apart, due to a 60-90 plus cadence, I am
sufficiently warmed up to continue my journey

I like my woolen scarf during times like these

Be careful with that you may end up like Isadora Duncan.

Well, fortunately the scarf is not that long and it is quite neatly
tucked inside the wind cheater and stays tucked in quite well
Old June 28th 11, 02:41 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

On Jun 24, 4:17*pm, Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
Stuffed if I know what others do with their woolen scarves in cycling
but I use my woolen scarf to keep the neck and the front of my torso
warm during these past few days of slightly cooler weather.

A warmer body core temperature during the start of a 3am ride is nice
even if I do heat up considerably, to dispense with the scarf wrapping,
within 10-15 mins of cycling.

My crappy Adidas wind cheater holds the scarf all nicely tucked in, long
enough to get me started and by the time the nice scarf wrapping which I
started with, falls apart, due to a 60-90 plus cadence, I am
sufficiently warmed up to continue my journey

I like my woolen scarf during times like these

I prefer a neck sock, or a Buf style thing - basically a tube of
material that you poke your head through. Buf style is light and thin,
the socks I've seen tend to be thicker fleece. No need to tuck either
version in. I prefer the Buf style - you can wear it as a beanie when
you stop. Plenty warm enough for me, but I don't head out at 3:00 am!!

Tony F

Tony F
Old June 28th 11, 04:59 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 28/06/2011 11:41 AM, thefathippy wrote:
On Jun 24, 4:17 pm, Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:

I prefer a neck sock, or a Buf style thing - basically a tube of
material that you poke your head through. Buf style is light and thin,
the socks I've seen tend to be thicker fleece. No need to tuck either
version in. I prefer the Buf style - you can wear it as a beanie when
you stop. Plenty warm enough for me, but I don't head out at 3:00 am!!

A neck sock, eh? Hm... a neck sock might not work for me cos with the
scarf, the ends trail over the front of my torso and being inside my
windcheater, those ends act as sorta padding between the cold and my
scrawny chest.

I am working on building up some natural padding overall, eg I had some
lovely stewed pork belly with nice thick layers of fat last night for
dinner, but nothing is working

Heading out at 3am is not as difficult as I make it out to be It's
only cold to start with but if one is warm and stay warm long enough,
it's not that much different from any ride Hell, I've heard of some
ppl who ride all night during full moons - now THAT is different
Old June 29th 11, 03:13 AM posted to aus.bicycle
Theo Bekkers[_2_]

"Geoff Lock" wrote

Stuffed if I know what others do with their woolen scarves in
cycling but I use my woolen scarf to keep the neck and the front of
my torso warm during these past few days of slightly cooler weather.

A warmer body core temperature during the start of a 3am ride is
nice even if I do heat up considerably, to dispense with the scarf
wrapping, within 10-15 mins of cycling.

Surely you should use a newspaper to keep your torso from the cold
wind? Preferably a copy of Le Velo.

Theo

Old June 29th 11, 04:29 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 29/06/2011 12:13 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:
"Geoff Lock" wrote

A warmer body core temperature during the start of a 3am ride is
nice even if I do heat up considerably, to dispense with the scarf
wrapping, within 10-15 mins of cycling.

Surely you should use a newspaper to keep your torso from the cold
wind? Preferably a copy of Le Velo.

Ahem! Trust you to pick up on that Some years ago, I actually saw a
coupla cyclists do that on the downhill during one of Le Tour's mountain
stages. I think it was done for a laugh becos I don't think I ever saw
that again.

I do admit that I got the idea of keeping just the front of my torso
warm from that bit of history It works quite well you know - with the
scarf - I mean
Old July 5th 11, 03:37 AM posted to aus.bicycle
thefathippy

On Jun 30, 1:29*am, Geoff Lock glock@home wrote:
On 29/06/2011 12:13 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:

"Geoff Lock" *wrote
A warmer body core temperature during the start of a 3am ride is
nice even if I do heat up considerably, to dispense with the scarf
wrapping, within 10-15 mins of cycling.

Surely you should use a newspaper to keep your torso from the cold
wind? Preferably a copy of Le Velo.

Ahem! Trust you to pick up on that Some years ago, I actually saw a
coupla cyclists do that on the downhill during one of Le Tour's mountain
stages. I think it was done for a laugh becos I don't think I ever saw
that again.

I do admit that I got the idea of keeping just the front of my torso
warm from that bit of history It works quite well you know - with the
scarf - I mean

Used to be popular with moto riders as well, but lighweight windproof
vests have replaced newsprint for keeping me warm.

Although I haven't ridden *all* night, or anywhere near it, there's
something special about a full moon night ride - moreso if you opt to
ride stealth. [1] Off road is best, of course.

Tony F

[1] danger Will Robinson - I bear a scar on my eyelid from riding
stealth and hitting a tree branch that was across the track at eye
height. Lucky I wasn't blinded or knocked unconscious. Saw lots of
stars that night.but they seemed to be inside my head.
Old July 6th 11, 04:55 PM posted to aus.bicycle
Geoff Lock[_2_]

On 5/07/2011 12:37 PM, thefathippy wrote:
On Jun 30, 1:29 am, Geoff Lockglock@home wrote:
On 29/06/2011 12:13 PM, Theo Bekkers wrote:

"Geoff Lock" wrote

I do admit that I got the idea of keeping just the front of my torso
warm from that bit of history It works quite well you know - with the
scarf - I mean

Used to be popular with moto riders as well, but lighweight windproof
vests have replaced newsprint for keeping me warm.

My crappy secondhand $4 Adidas windcheater does OK most times. I can't
comment on the vests you have mentioned as I probably can't afford them

Although I haven't ridden *all* night, or anywhere near it, there's
something special about a full moon night ride - moreso if you opt to
ride stealth. [1] Off road is best, of course.

****ing crazy to ride stealth at night, I reckon!!! I just haven't
got the guts any more, mate

On second thoughts, I guess I'd probably do it if it was on one of those
cycleways Clover is building though, but you did say "offroad" so I'll
havta pass until I build up more kahunas

[1] danger Will Robinson - I bear a scar on my eyelid from riding
stealth and hitting a tree branch that was across the track at eye
height. Lucky I wasn't blinded or knocked unconscious. Saw lots of
stars that night.but they seemed to be inside my head.

Man, you are lucky indeed!!

I have a chipped tooth from missing the "good line" on the foopath
during a stealth session ages ago - I think the footpath thought I was
trying to kiss it and the footpath objected to my ugly face ) I will
not mention the chewy bits of "something" from around the inside of my
bottom lips But then, I was not offroad so I guess it was not quite
like being smacked in the face with a tree branch