broken crank

Old February 13th 04, 03:26 AM
Rob-the-unrepentant

Default broken crank

Happened to me for the first time.
So there I am, side hopping, when I hear this snap and I end up staring
at what is most of my unicycle: apparently the crank snapped clean in
half. I'll try to get pictures uploaded.

Now my question is: has anyone elsebroken a crank? and if so, how, where
and what were you doing?

--
Rob-the-unrepentant
Rob-the-unrepentant's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5243

Old February 13th 04, 03:33 AM
fluffinator007

I've broken a few sets of cranks just doing some average trials and
trail riding. Mostly just cotterless. Still havent broken my profiles
or my KH's. Then again i havent got my profiles on my muni yet sooo

--
fluffinator007 - Expert UPD'ist

My image was voted out.
fluffinator007's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4757

Old February 13th 04, 04:10 AM
bugman

John Childs broke a profile crank. Supposedly just tooling along, but
from what I have heard John Childs never just tool's along.

In the DVD Under No Influence, one of the guys snapped a crank in half.
Jumping off a 7-8 foot fence.

Kris Holm in I think it may have been Universe?

I also saw one break in Universe 2 when someone jumped off the top of a
building/toilet.

I think I have wathced too many videos.

--
bugman - Equilibrium Challenged

"A hard core muni or trials unicycle is no longer a $2500 custom job,
now it's a $500 stock item. That is incredible. You should be thanking
unicycle.com cause they have done more for the sport than any retailer
or distributor ever has." john_childs

Old February 13th 04, 04:47 AM
john_childs

What kind of crank?

I'm guessing you had an aluminum crank. Aluminum cranks can fail
catastrophically (meaning the break in half) with little warning that
they are nearing the end of their life span. Steel cranks will bend
first to let you know that they are not feeling well. The tubular steel
cranks will usually crack first which is the warning sign that they are
about to buy the farm.

--
john_childs - Guinness Mojo

john_childs (at) hotmail (dot) com

Old February 13th 04, 04:50 AM
tomblackwood

bugman wrote:
*I also saw one break in Universe 2 when someone jumped off the top of
a building/toilet. *

The rider was Dylan Wallinger, and he was jumping off the top of a
regulation Utah State Park bathroom facility, located in the parking lot
of the Slickrock Trail in Moab. It awaits his return...

--
tomblackwood - Registered Nurtz

Tailgate at your own risk.....

Old February 13th 04, 06:08 AM
forget_your_life

bugman wrote:
*Kris Holm in I think it may have been Universe?

*

not a Profile.

--
forget_your_life - a.k.a. jagur

[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...gsize_003.gif]
[image:
http://www.unicyclist.com/gallery/al...nyjumping.gif]
dream one dream many....
*'R.I.P' (http://tinyurl.com/34tyj)*
forget_your_life's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4558

Old February 13th 04, 06:13 AM
toddw9

3 foot drops and I had a good bend in mine. One more drop I think
would've broken it right off but I decided i didn't want to find out.
But they were crap and I was half expecting it to happen. It's a good
excuse to get new and better stuff!

--
toddw9 - Danger is my middle name

-"You can't build a reputation on what you are going to do"-
-Henry Ford
toddw9's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/4466

Old February 13th 04, 06:18 AM
bugman

forget_your_life wrote:
*not a Profile. *

I didn't think it was a profile, just a crank. I have not seen that
footage lately, and when I did see it I would have only known it was a
crank. Did I indicate it was a Profile somewhere? I went back and
reread my post, the only one I indicated by brand was John's.

Old February 13th 04, 06:22 AM
paco

tomblackwood wrote:
*
The rider was Dylan Wallinger, and he was jumping off the top of a
regulation Utah State Park bathroom facility, located in the parking
lot of the Slickrock Trail in Moab. It awaits his return... *

Unfortunately, he isn't signed up yet on the website. Does anyone know
if he's planning on going this year?

--
paco - Proud owner of 2 opposable thumbs

"Not all cannibals are alike."
-Andy, my roommate
paco's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/3715

Old February 13th 04, 06:26 AM
ratherbekayaking

I broke one in Moab last year on the Porcupine Rim Trail. The actual
drop in in Universe2. I saw everyone else doing it, and it seemed that
heck, if everyone else is doing it...... Crack, thud,Ouch. 5 Mile
walk-with-uni later, I was done with the trail. I will return and I
will reride that trail. I MAY retry that drop.[image:
http://community.webshots.com/s/imag...xBrfss_ph.jpg]

That half-a-crank was an eternal biatch to get off.

--
ratherbekayaking - Levels-shmevels. I just wanna ride!

"Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognize a
mistake when you make it again." (Franklin P. Jones)
ratherbekayaking's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/2330