[OT] Where to find laws on the internet? Toys R Us Trying to shut down a site

Old March 5th 04, 09:10 PM
Danny Colyer

Default [OT] Where to find laws on the internet? Toys R Us Trying to shut down a site

Just zis Guy, you know? suggested:
Try calling your new model of car a "325" and see what happens.

I like the idea of calling it a "C5", then see how much people laugh.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Old March 5th 04, 09:11 PM
Frobnitz

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

Try calling your new model of car a "325" and see what happens.

You have to wonder about the wisdom of Citroen calling a car C5

Old March 5th 04, 10:20 PM
Tony Raven

The Patent Office is very helpful. You need to look at Trade Marks and Design
Rights. From a cursory read of the stuff I think they might struggle as I
doubt you are acting in the areas defined by their trademarks and could hardly
be said to be likely to confuse their customers.

You could always offer to sell them the name and domain name. Friends of mine
beat of McDonalds when they tried to stop him calling a chain of Chinese fast
food shops McChina. The judge in Court said of McDonalds "Anyone who thinks
they own rights to anything with the Mc prefix should consult the Glasgow
telephone directory"

Tony

"Mark Thompson" (change warm for hot)
wrote in message ...
Sorry for the utter and almost complete OT-ness of this post[1] but you lot

are
always quoting bits and pieces from laws. Anyone any idea if the text to

the UK
law relating to Trademark infringement and internet domin names is on the

web?
A website I occasionally visit is under threat of legal action by Toy R Us
(http://www.ratzrus.co.uk/toysrus.htm), despite being non-commercial and not
about Toy R Us at all. We don't think that the trademark laws apply to
non-commercial sites but would like to make sure. Any other information

would
be helpful if you've got it to hand - I assume this kind of pointless

bullying
happens quite a lot.

Oh, to make it a bit on topic, my rat absolutely loves sitting on the

handlebars
of my bike when I'm riding. It'll be wearing lycra next...

[1] If you're using OE then Tool, Message Rules, News, New. Then click the

box
'Where the subject line contains specific words'. then select 'delete it'.
Click on the blue text at the bottom and type in [OT] (including the square
brackets). You'll never see another correctly tagged off topic post again

:-)

---

Old March 6th 04, 01:38 AM
Gawnsoft

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:11:35 -0000, "Frobnitz"
wrote (more or less):

"Just zis Guy, you know?" wrote in message

Try calling your new model of car a "325" and see what happens.

You have to wonder about the wisdom of Citroen calling a car C5

Or calling a car the MR2 in France. (a homonym of '****' in the local
pronunciation) Toyota used a different name after a while

Or calling a car the Nova in Spanish-speaking territories. (It means
'doesn't go' chevrolet didn't sell many of these in Mexico...)

Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Old March 6th 04, 12:46 PM
Mark Thompson

You could always offer to sell them the name and domain name.

Ah, that would show evidence of bad faith, and thus lose the owner all her
rights! It's basically there to stop cyber-squatters.

Incidentally, my sneaking suspicion that this would be the right newsgroup to
post on was right - you've all been far more helpful (and vocal) than the
miserable buggers over on uk.legal!

Cheers guys

---

Old March 8th 04, 12:07 PM
Dave Larrington

Gawnsoft wrote:

You can't /trademark/ a number. Which is, indeed, why Intel went to

You /can/ do something with a number, though I'm not sure what. Porsche
were going to call a well-known "ass-engined Nazi slot-car" the 901 until
they discovered that all three-digit combinations with a 0 in the middle
were the "property" of Peugeot.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old March 8th 04, 12:25 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 12:07:58 -0000, Dave Larrington
wrote:

Gawnsoft wrote:

You can't /trademark/ a number. Which is, indeed, why Intel went to

You /can/ do something with a number, though I'm not sure what. Porsche
were going to call a well-known "ass-engined Nazi slot-car" the 901 until
they discovered that all three-digit combinations with a 0 in the middle
were the "property" of Peugeot.

I once heard, probably apocryphally, that IBM bought the number 800 from
Atari.

Colin
Old March 8th 04, 01:15 PM
Gawnsoft

wrote (more or less):

Gawnsoft wrote:

You can't /trademark/ a number. Which is, indeed, why Intel went to

You /can/ do something with a number, though I'm not sure what. Porsche
were going to call a well-known "ass-engined Nazi slot-car" the 901 until
they discovered that all three-digit combinations with a 0 in the middle
were the "property" of Peugeot.

Not in the USA, which is what Intel was principally concerned with.

Old March 8th 04, 03:36 PM
Alan Braggins

In article , Gawnsoft wrote:

Or calling a car the Nova in Spanish-speaking territories. (It means
'doesn't go' chevrolet didn't sell many of these in Mexico...)

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp
"Claim: The Chevrolet Nova sold poorly in Spanish-speaking countries
because its name translates as "doesn't go" in Spanish.
Old March 8th 04, 04:21 PM
David Off

Alan Braggins wrote:
In article , Gawnsoft wrote:

Or calling a car the Nova in Spanish-speaking territories. (It means
'doesn't go' chevrolet didn't sell many of these in Mexico...)

http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp
"Claim: The Chevrolet Nova sold poorly in Spanish-speaking countries
because its name translates as "doesn't go" in Spanish.

However the Toyota MR2 is just the Toyota MR in France.