Riding a century

Old September 13th 03, 05:48 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Default Riding a century

Thanks, that was what I was aiming for -- I have a 100km this weekend,
then
a ride that's 55 Saturday and 60 Sunday, then I was thinking one more
longer ride, then a century. The only problem is that the centuries are
basically over in New England in September. So, I'll have to ride one
myself (which isn't bad, but it's nice to have support and bathrooms).

And now for a dissenting opinion...

In general, I find that people are able to easily ride maybe 30% over what
they're used to on a reasonably-well-supported and popular (meaning lots of
riders) century. Much of physical effort is actually mental, and the
fun/euphoria of riding with a whole lot of other people, and not having to
worry about running out of food & water etc., makes the miles pass by a
whole lot more quickly and enjoyably. Your mileage may vary, but as a
general guideline, an organized century is not the worst place to try and
stretch your reach a bit.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old September 13th 03, 07:26 AM
Alfred Klek

Good question. Unfortunately, I don't know. There's no route posted. I
ride in a hilly area, in fact my ride is pretty much all hills. I do know
that we're starting on the coast of CT, so unless the route is along the
coast, there's going to be hills.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

Hey hey, i'm from CT. well, the coast is flat as is much of the central
section of the state, as you go north anywheres else there are hills. since
CT is pretty small, it's going to be pretty hard to make a flat century.
The good part is that it's pretty hard to ride 100 miles in CT without it
being beautiful for most of it. there's a few ugly cities but
proportionally more pretty stuff especially in the northern corners (i used
to live in Mansfield in the "quiet corner" very pretty and nice riding).
Where are you riding? Where are you from? there's a good chance you
already are used to the extremes of CT topographyif you're from here, it's
pretty consistant once you get about 10 miles from the shore. just as an
offhand estimate you're probably looking at rolling hills maxing out in the
north at maybe 200 ft. vertical displacement and pretty steep. The hardest
thing i've found about riding long distances in those hills is that they
just keep coming, one after another forever and ever. as always the fight
is mental, not physical. slap it in a low gear and spin up to the top if
you have to and take them in stride. best of luck
Alfred

Old September 13th 03, 03:07 PM
H. M. Leary

In article ,
Bob M wrote:

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 17:59:21 GMT, Bob M wrote:

How far do people generally ride before riding a century? I ask because
my ride this Sunday is 100km, but I can also ride 100 miles. I'm
thinking of riding the 100 miles instead of the 100km. My long rides
have been 55 miles (last week), 50 miles (the week before), 45 miles (two
weeks ago)... I only ride about 4 days a week, the other 3 days being
about 20 miles a day. Is this enough riding to ride 100 miles?

Thanks.

Well, I've found out that the 100km ride is about 56 miles, with 4,900 feet
of climbing, while the 100 mile ride is about 92 miles with 7,400 feet of
climbing. I rode 55 miles last week, but I don't know how much climbing
there was, although there's a lot. So, I'll probably stick to the 56
miles, especially if it rains.

Picking nits:

100km = 62.093 miles
100miles = a century, not 92miles

Enjoy the ride.

Has anyone seen my Gore-Tex socks???

HAND

Old September 13th 03, 03:45 PM
JC Henry

Did my first century yesterday. It was a very flat paved trail
(converted train "rail" track), but I did it on a fat tire offroad bike.
My previous best distance wise was 60 miles. I read somewhere it's best
to a 80 mile run before going to 100 but after 80 I could start to smell
the 100 so I just bit it and did the last 20.

Old September 13th 03, 05:24 PM
Dan Cosley

In article , JC Henry wrote:
Did my first century yesterday. It was a very flat paved trail
(converted train "rail" track), but I did it on a fat tire offroad bike.
My previous best distance wise was 60 miles. I read somewhere it's best
to a 80 mile run before going to 100 but after 80 I could start to smell
the 100 so I just bit it and did the last 20.

So the big question: how do you feel today?

-- Dan

--
Dan Cosley * http://www.cs.umn.edu/~cosley/)
GroupLens Research Lab, Univ of MN (http://movielens.umn.edu/ * 612.624.8372)
Old September 13th 03, 05:35 PM
David L. Johnson

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 04:48:00 +0000, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:

Thanks, that was what I was aiming for -- I have a 100km this weekend,

then
a ride that's 55 Saturday and 60 Sunday, then I was thinking one more
longer ride, then a century. The only problem is that the centuries are
basically over in New England in September. So, I'll have to ride one
myself (which isn't bad, but it's nice to have support and bathrooms).

And now for a dissenting opinion...

Dissenting?

In general, I find that people are able to easily ride maybe 30% over what
they're used to on a reasonably-well-supported and popular (meaning lots
of riders) century.

I'd agree with that. That's why I expressed the hope that the OP could
get some 75+ mile rides in before the century. Going from 50 to 100 is a
big jump, though. Doable if the century is flat, but still tough on the
butt and hands -- and tough on the spirit.

*Your mileage may vary, but as a
general guideline, an organized century is not the worst place to try and
stretch your reach a bit.

True.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | "What am I on? I'm on my bike, six hours a day, busting my ass.
_`\(,_ | What are you on?" --Lance Armstrong
(_)/ (_) |

Old September 14th 03, 01:16 AM
Coal Porter

On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:11:40 GMT, Bob M wrote:

|On Fri, 12 Sep 2003 18:02:10 +0000 (UTC), Ken wrote:
|
| Bob M wrote in
| news | How far do people generally ride before riding a century? I ask because
| my ride this Sunday is 100km, but I can also ride 100 miles. I'm
| thinking of riding the 100 miles instead of the 100km. My long rides
| have been 55 miles (last week), 50 miles (the week before), 45 miles
| (two weeks ago)... I only ride about 4 days a week, the other 3 days
| being about 20 miles
| a day. Is this enough riding to ride 100 miles?
|
| How hilly is the 100 miles? Most of the centuries around where I live
| have 6000 feet or more of climbing, which could make them difficult for
| someone doing 50 mile rides with much less climbing. If the century is
| flat, you should have no problem if you pace yourself.
|

|Good question. Unfortunately, I don't know. There's no route posted. I
|ride in a hilly area, in fact my ride is pretty much all hills. I do know
|that we're starting on the coast of CT, so unless the route is along the
|coast, there's going to be hills.

You're riding in the Harvest Rides, aren't you? I did the markers for
a segment of the route today. The 100k goes up into Bethel and comes
back via 58, cuts in along the reserviors and back to the coast via
Redding Rd. THe 100 miler adds a 30 mile or so section up into Wilton
on 33 and then back down before doing the 100k thing into Bethel and
back via 58 et al. Unfortunately you can't decide to do the 100 miler
in-route because the segment that makes it longer is added at about
the 8 mile point.

I think you do enough miles to do the 100miler but frankly I'm
concerned about the weather. It looks like it's going to rain some.
Take both maps and see how warm it is. It's not bad if it's just
drizzling but if it's a little chilly too, that's not a great
combination.

See how you feel. And good luck with the ride(even if it's not this
oneg).

-c.porter.

Old September 14th 03, 08:05 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

Dissenting because there were so many responses that expressed concern

about
being able to do a century... some of which almost sounded like you ought

be able to ride 99 miles on your own before trying to attempt one! A

slight
exaggeration, of course...

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles

I think there has been too much emphasis on riding a long ride before
attempting the 100 miles. I think people are ignoring the mental aspect of
it: even strategy, planning, pacing, and eating. Before I did the first of
my 3 centuries, I had only ridden 65 miles at one time. Most of my rides
were about 30 miles in length. It takes mental determination, too.

Pat in TX

Old September 15th 03, 06:13 AM
Damian Harvey

Pat wrote:
I think there has been too much emphasis on riding a long ride before
attempting the 100 miles. I think people are ignoring the mental aspect of
it: even strategy, planning, pacing, and eating. Before I did the first of
my 3 centuries, I had only ridden 65 miles at one time. Most of my rides
were about 30 miles in length. It takes mental determination, too.

Pat in TX

I had only ridden maybe 40km before going on mine. Of course it wasn't
meant to be a 160k ride rather 120 but it's 20km from my house to the
start. I'm determined not to look like a slacker in front of all those
sexy women in lycra too. This might sound a bit sick but also I've got
extra incentive out on a long ride whenever I pass someone, it means I'm
not the slowest. I don't care about being the fastest but as long as
there's someone out there worse than me I'm happy.

--
Cheers
Damian Harvey

This space reserved for standard disclaimer, witty quote,
plug for own business in caps and large, bad ASCII art.

Old September 15th 03, 03:15 PM
Bob M

On Sat, 13 Sep 2003 14:07:58 GMT, H. M. Leary
wrote:

In article ,
Bob M wrote:

[...]

I realize that. I got confused looking at the published maps of the rides -
- I thought those numbers were the listed lengths. They 100km ended up
being about 65 miles (although I rode 69) and the 100 miler ended up being
103 miles. It's kinda hard to make a ride that's exactly 100 miles,
especially in the northeast.

--
Bob M in CT
Remove 'x.' to reply

Non riding friend pi**ed me off today Barry Gaudet General 32 August 18th 04 06:34 PM
Riding with kids Horace General 27 September 9th 03 02:12 PM
Riding facing traffic Bruce G Patrick General 4 August 12th 03 08:11 AM
Any DC area RBMers riding BikeDC? Luigi de Guzman General 3 August 9th 03 03:11 AM
Sore knee since century Marlene Blanshay General 1 July 11th 03 10:29 AM