Mounts Questions

Old August 7th 03, 12:30 AM
iunicycle

Default Mounts Questions

Klaas Bil wrote:
*
I mean, for level 2 it is OK to do a standard mount left and a
standard mount right. If I do that then do I need only ONE more
mount
for level three?
*

* For Level 3 and above, riders may not count their dominant and
non-dominant side as different mounts.

Tooooo bad. You need to learn three different mounts for level three.
Also, note that side mount and side mount reverse are considered the
same mount.

--
iunicycle - YeeeeHaaaa
iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869

Old August 7th 03, 12:53 AM
James_Potter

Good, I doubt there are even enough mounts to finish them all if we had
to keep learning that many new ones!
But that's another one if I can add the rollback mount and the static
mount as seperate ones. I have six, then. Rollback, static, side,
backwards, jump, and I'm trying to learn the rolling mount.

--
James_Potter - Order of Merlin, first class

-"We are only as strong as we are united, as weak as we are divided."

--Albus Dumbledore-

Old August 7th 03, 01:11 AM
daino149

James_Potter wrote:
*I have six, then. Rollback, static, side, backwards, jump, and I'm
trying to learn the rolling mount. *

If you have the jump mount, the suicide is very easy. Just in case you
need another.

BTW: How many of you actually get tested? I would think about doing it,
but for one I don't care much, and two, I don't think there are any
testers on this island.

Daniel

--
daino149 - One wheel to rule them all

A One That Isn't Cold Is Scardely A One At All

Old August 7th 03, 01:54 AM
iunicycle

James_Potter wrote:
*
But that's another one if I can add the rollback mount and the static
mount as seperate ones.*

Static and rollback are the _same_ mount.

I would get a ruling if jump mount and suicide mount are considered
separate mounts.

http://iunicycle.com/unicycle/skills/standard/205/

A jump mount is 205a, suicide is 205b, the value difference is only .5
point, so it seems that it isn't significantly more difficult.

On the other hand 205g, I think, is considered a different mount. Can an
experienced tester give better guidance here?

Old August 7th 03, 02:43 AM
James_Potter

I've tried the suicide mount, and for some reason I can't get it. I got
it a few times when I accidentally got my wheel stuck in this little
crack, so it couldn't move.
And if you ask me, the rollback and static are different. It took me a
while to figure out how to get the wheel to not move backwards while
mounting, so the static is more difficult. The same mount cannot be
harder if you do it again, so therefore it's different.
Besides, I probably won't ever be 'officially' tested. The skill levels
are more of cool, flashy kind of moves, not trials or MUni, and those
are what I like more. I just use the skill levels to find new things to
try, to help me get better with balance etc., not to -officially- be
better.

Old August 7th 03, 10:58 PM
Klaas Bil

On Wed, 6 Aug 2003 19:11:14 -0500, daino149
wrote:

I don't think there are any
testers on this island.

I think that for levels 1 through 4, you don't need an officially
qualified tester. Anyone can test if they follow the level rules.

Klaas Bil - Newsgroup Addict
--
"the helmet is to protect the brain, not replace it. - iunicycle"

Old August 7th 03, 11:30 PM
johnfoss

iunicycle wrote:
*Static and rollback are the _same_ mount. *

The skill levels were developed before the terms 'static' and 'rollback'
were applied to separate different variants of what we think of as a
'standard' mount.

*I would get a ruling if jump mount and suicide mount are considered
separate mounts.*

You can always try the rulebook first; most of this stuff is in there.
See page 45 of the USA Rulebook, or this page:
http://www.unicycling.org/usa/levels/
You will see that a regular jump mount and free jump mount are different
enough to be considered separate.

*A jump mount is 205a, suicide is 205b, the value difference is only
.5 point, so it seems that it isn't significantly more difficult. On
the other hand 205g, I think, is considered a different mount. Can an
experienced tester give better guidance here? *

Not yet, but that's one of the things I expect will be addressed in the
next generation of skill levels, currently being developed. In Standard
Skill competition it's kept more simple; you can't use two skills with
the same number. In other words, you are not allowed to do 205a and
205b.

Beyond that, the rulebook says this: "Each mount the rider uses for a
level must be different. Different can be defined as a totally different
mount, or a considerably harder variation on the same mount." So if a
free jump mount (suicide) is considerably harder than a regular jump
mount, hopefully this gives you an idea of similar comparisons for other
mounts.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

"Where's my kids?" -- Amy Drummond
"Where's my unicycle?" -- Andy Cotter
spoken one right after the other, mostly to themselves, at NAUCC 2003

Old August 7th 03, 11:37 PM
johnfoss

XWonka wrote:
*Question 1: Does the freemount count as a mount when doing three
mounts for level three?*

Yes, but it probably isn't the "new" one. A "free" mount means getting
on the unicycle without outside assistance. This generally applies to
any mount you would do for a skill level. Use the Standard Skill List
for more specific mount names.

*Question 2: When doing a jump mount, do you have to finish sitting on
the saddle or can you jump onto saddle in front and then scooch up
onto the saddle afterwards?*

As someone mentioned, this could be done as "jump mount to seat in
front." Otherwise I don't think it would count as a jump mount. However,
a level test doesn't care which mount you do, as long as it's different
from all the others. If you do the jump to seat in front, you'll have to
ride three revolutions in that position to finish.

*Question 3: Does a freemount with a half rotation backwards (rollback
mount) count as a seperate mount? *

This was pretty much covered. If the original mount you refer to is what
we call a 'static' mount, the answer is no. Side mount is really easy.

--
johnfoss - Now riding to work

John Foss
the Uni-Cyclone
www.unicycling.com
________________

Old August 8th 03, 12:14 AM
iunicycle

johnfoss wrote:
*
You can always try the rulebook first; most of this stuff is in
there. See page 45 of the USA Rulebook, or this page:
http://www.unicycling.org/usa/levels/
You will see that a regular jump mount and free jump mount are
different enough to be considered separate.
*

Ahhh yes. I misread that one:

Jump mount (free jump mount and side jump mount would be considered
different mounts)

I was thinking they meant to compare the paren'ed mounts to each other,
not to jump mount, I missed the free. Obviously experience helps in
reading the rulebook! Now I just need to let go an jump....

--
iunicycle - Old back, new cricks
iunicycle's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/1869