Comparative Risk of Activities

Old April 9th 19, 08:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
jOHN b.

Default Comparative Risk of Activities

For all the "Danger of Cycling" advocates.

I recently came across a "COMPARATIVE RISK OF DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES"
listing estimates of Fatal Risk for a number of activities which was
published by " The Vehicular Cyclist", authored and maintained by
Avery Burdett. The data was compiled by Failure Analysis Associates,
Inc.

Skydiving - 128.71 fatalities per million hrs
On-road Motorcycling - 8.80
Scuba Diving - .98
Living (all causes of death) - .53
Swimming - 1.07
Passenger cars - .47
Bicycling - .26
Flying (scheduled domestic airlines) - .15
Traveling in a School Bus - .022
Home Living, active & passive (sleeping) - .014

Vehicular Cyclist is at http://www.vehicularcyclist.com/index.html
--
cheers,

John B.

Old April 10th 19, 08:56 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Chalo

Just as a fault check, 0.53 deaths per million hours of living implies a median life duration of 215 years by my napkin estimate? It makes me say "hmmm".
Old April 10th 19, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Chalo wrote:
Just as a fault check, 0.53 deaths per million hours of living implies a
median life duration of 215 years by my napkin estimate? It makes me say "hmmm".

I think that Frank also posted that data earlier, and I seem to recall the
"all causes" mortality rate was around 1.5 deaths per million hours, so
maybe whoever posted that data the second time typoed.
Old April 10th 19, 02:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 12:56:50 AM UTC-7, Chalo wrote:
Just as a fault check, 0.53 deaths per million hours of living implies a median life duration of 215 years by my napkin estimate? It makes me say "hmmm".

it was a survey of Old Testament cyclists. https://i2.wp.com/dailynexus.com/wp-...ize=1024%2C799

-- Jay Beattie.
Old April 10th 19, 08:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Wednesday, April 10, 2019 at 2:56:50 AM UTC-5, Chalo wrote:
Just as a fault check, 0.53 deaths per million hours of living implies a median life duration of 215 years by my napkin estimate? It makes me say "hmmm".

I agree with Chalo.

365 days * 24 hours * 100 years in a century = 876,000 hours per century
1,000,000 hours of living and 0.53 deaths = 1,886,792 hours per life span
1,886,792 / 876,000 = 215.387 years of life
And if that is a Median, then 50% lived shorter than 215 years and 50% lived longer than 215 years. Cycling is healthy so the cyclists were probably in the longer than 215 year lifespan group.
Old April 10th 19, 09:10 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 4/10/2019 3:56 AM, Chalo wrote:
Just as a fault check, 0.53 deaths per million hours of living implies a median life duration of 215 years by my napkin estimate? It makes me say "hmmm".

Instead, it should make you say "John has posted a typo."

The actual figure given in that reference is 1.53 deaths per million
hours due to the activity called "living." See
http://www.vehicularcyclist.com/comparat.html

That works out to about 75 years average life. It's pretty reasonable.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old April 11th 19, 03:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 12:49:50 AM UTC-7, John B. wrote:
[...]

I'm trying to think about this discussion. I cannot believe that anyone would accept those sorts of statistics in relation to an individual instead of a group so I assume this has become a running joke. But considering comments from people like John, one never knows.

Schwalbe Land Cruiser ti Comparative Ratings? (PeteCresswell) Techniques 0 May 1st 13 08:12 PM
Other ballance activities skilewis74 Unicycling 26 January 22nd 07 07:18 PM
TdF Rest day activities TimC Australia 5 July 10th 06 09:53 PM
Mallorca Activities jl UK 4 October 30th 05 03:34 PM
Comparative cycling David Nutter UK 15 January 28th 04 12:33 PM