UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

Old October 6th 12, 12:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

Default UPGRADE 1970'S BIKES

http://sheldonbrown.com/upgrade.html

I was looking for the replacement pedals.
Old October 6th 12, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:40:26 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
http://sheldonbrown.com/upgrade.html

I was looking for the replacement pedals.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

NOTICE allllllthe way at the end there's a link to rider's with your interests in older bicycles
Old October 6th 12, 10:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:58:46 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:40:26 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:

http://sheldonbrown.com/upgrade.html

I was looking for the replacement pedals.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

NOTICE allllllthe way at the end there's a link to rider's with your interests in older bicycles

Interesting article on Sheldon's page. I'm pretty happy with all of my old Miele steel frame bicycles. I have pedals and toe clips on all but one of them. The other has clipless road pedals. I'm one of those that found the clipless mtb pedals (Wellgo clones of Shimano) too hard to get into. I have no problems entering either the cip and straps pedals or the clipless road pedals. I think that the flipping up of the pedal prior to entering it is so ingrained in me that I do it with the mtb pedals too and that's what makes it so hard to enter them. Since I'm happy enough with all my road pedals I'm not about to spend money experimenting trying to find an mtb pedal that suits me.

I can get into my road pedals with toe clips as fast and as easily as I can with my Look type clipless pedals but then need to snug up the straps which means that getting the same security with the toe clip pedals takes longer than it does with the clipless ones.

Periodically I use my Matrix rim tubular tires (old school 7 spd Dura Ace Uniglide cassette hub and Campy Record front hub) just for the enjoyment of their lively feel.

Cheers
Old October 6th 12, 06:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 6, 5:38*am, Sir Ridesalot wrote:
On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:58:46 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:
On Friday, October 5, 2012 7:40:26 PM UTC-4, datakoll wrote:

http://sheldonbrown.com/upgrade.html

I was looking for the replacement pedals.

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN

NOTICE allllllthe way at the end there's a link to rider's with your interests in older bicycles

Interesting article on Sheldon's page.

Indeed, very interesting article! He seems to have disagreed with
many of the modern design trends. I tend to agree with Sheldon.

I'm pretty happy with all of my old Miele steel frame bicycles. I have pedals and toe clips on all but one of them. ...

I can get into my road pedals with toe clips as fast and as easily as I can with my Look type clipless pedals but then need to snug up the straps which means that getting the same security with the toe clip pedals takes longer than it does with the clipless ones.

I usually have my straps set at a sort of compromise length, loose
enough to flip into very quickly, but tight enough to provide just a
bit of security against foot slips. They're tight enough that I can
bunny hop, which is good enough for me.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 6th 12, 07:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Sir Ridesalot

On Saturday, October 6, 2012 1:53:52 PM UTC-4, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

That's how I have my toe straps adjusted in city riding. I'm really glad that I found some cleats for my old Shimano N600 pedals as I really like those pedals. I was really lucky to be able to get four of those cleats. I bought the second pair for a spare set.

These cleats are interesting in that each cleat is composed of two interlocking pieces but comes with three parts per cleat. By changing the front section of the cleat you can assemble them for triangular type Shimano pedals or regular quill type pedals.

Cheers
Old October 6th 12, 07:59 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Lou Holtman[_5_]

Op zaterdag 6 oktober 2012 11:38:08 UTC+2 schreef Sir Ridesalot het volgende:

[...]

There is no need to justify your choices and/or preferences Peter.

Lou
Old October 6th 12, 08:01 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jay Beattie

On Oct 6, 10:53*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:
[...]

Based on all the trick riding I see, you don't need to be clipped in
to bunny hop the bike -- but I find it hard to do on a road bike
without clips, so I must be a flounder -- although the last time I
rode on a platform with no clips, I was in an ortho-boot, so that may
explain why I was having trouble bunny hopping.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old October 7th 12, 12:09 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 6, 3:01*pm, Jay Beattie wrote:
On Oct 6, 10:53*am, Frank Krygowski wrote:

I usually have my straps set at a sort of compromise length, loose
enough to flip into very quickly, but tight enough to provide just a
bit of security against foot slips. *They're tight enough that I can
bunny hop, which is good enough for me.

Based on all the trick riding I see, you don't need to be clipped in
to bunny hop the bike -- but I find it hard to do on a road bike
without clips, so I must be a flounder...

I just tried it, to be sure of my memory. As I thought, I can get the
rear wheel up just a little, maybe a couple inches, on a bike without
clips. That's my retro 3 speed. I seem to be pushing a bit rearward
on the pedals to do it, which seems to be the same thing I see in
videos like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z19zFlPah-o although
there's obviously a lot more going on with someone at that skill
level. For example, he temporarily repeals the law of gravity...

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 7th 12, 12:13 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Oct 6, 2:59*pm, Lou Holtman wrote:
[...]

True. In fact, any discussions at all are entirely optional. One can
always just ride bikes and never mention them to others.

- Frank Krygowski
Old October 7th 12, 12:32 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

educational...tho I carried a similar opinion of TdF frame sales, the roots were unknown.

Upgrade Bikes POHB UK 0 July 17th 09 03:16 PM
a bit about soldiers and bikes in the 1970's TerryJ UK 0 May 16th 07 12:27 PM
WTB: 1970's Colnago 55 or 56CM * * Chas Marketplace 0 July 15th 06 07:08 AM
Wtb : Colnago fork 1970'S maso news group Marketplace 0 November 26th 04 02:11 AM
Identify a 1970's Peugeot, anyone? Dan Gavin Techniques 7 October 26th 04 08:41 PM