Racks

Old January 22nd 04, 01:01 PM
Sam Salt

Default Racks

What's the bees knees in rear racks these days.Tubus,Bor Yeuh,anything else
that folks can recommend.I was looking at a Tubus model ( The Logo )
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/tubus_racks.html

on which the panniers fit on a lower bar presumably making the bike more
stable.Anyone any comments as they are quite a price ( £70 ).

Sam Salt

---

Old January 22nd 04, 01:58 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 12:01:46 +0000 (UTC), Sam Salt
wrote:

What's the bees knees in rear racks these days.Tubus,Bor Yeuh,anything
else
that folks can recommend.I was looking at a Tubus model ( The Logo )
http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/tubus_racks.html

on which the panniers fit on a lower bar presumably making the bike more
stable.Anyone any comments as they are quite a price ( £70 ).

I have a Bor Yeuh rack on my tourer which is good but it was a bugger
getting the Karrimor pannier disks on as the tube thickness was at the
upper limit. Definitely worth ckecking that your existing panniers will
fit easily.

The other advantage I can see for the Logo rack for my panniers is that it
will take the tops of the panniers below the top of the rack, that means I
can fit a rack pack more easily or stick something on the rack which
sticks out sideways (the Karrimor panniers rise above my rack and make
this difficult.)

Colin
Old January 22nd 04, 02:11 PM
Dave Larrington

Tubus are supposed to be the mutt's nuts, but unless you really need the
extra strength and capacity, then I for one am quite happy with Blackburn.
The one on my touring bike has been doing sterling service since 1984.

Avoid cheap Blackburn clones, as they are made from cheese.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

Old January 22nd 04, 02:19 PM
Colin Blackburn

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:11:05 -0000, Dave Larrington
wrote:

Tubus are supposed to be the mutt's nuts, but unless you really need the
extra strength and capacity, then I for one am quite happy with
Blackburn.

Hang on, are you saying I'm weedy and can't hold my beer!

Avoid cheap Blackburn clones, as they are made from cheese.

fx: mad professor
But zis is only the start of my experiments! Hahahaha!!
rl: need a coffee

Colin
Old January 22nd 04, 02:25 PM
Clive George

Dave Larrington wrote:

Avoid cheap Blackburn clones, as they are made from cheese.

I quite like the bor yueh blackburn clones (as supplied with dawes bikes in
the mid 90s). The back ones are better than the blackburn equivalents IMO,
primarily due to having a dogleg rather than straight back strut.

cheers,
clive

Old January 22nd 04, 02:28 PM
MSeries

Dave Larrington wrote:
Tubus are supposed to be the mutt's nuts, but unless you really need
the extra strength and capacity, then I for one am quite happy with
Blackburn. The one on my touring bike has been doing sterling service
since 1984.

Avoid cheap Blackburn clones, as they are made from cheese.

My Backburn rack has been trouble free since 1990, took it across America,
around New Zealand and Tasmania. over 200 days/3500 miles of loaded touring
on one trip alone.

--
The Reply & From email addresses are checked rarely.
http://www.mseries.freeserve.co.uk

Old January 22nd 04, 02:46 PM
Chris Heys

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 13:25:17 -0000, "Clive George"
wrote:

Dave Larrington wrote:

Avoid cheap Blackburn clones, as they are made from cheese.

I quite like the bor yueh blackburn clones (as supplied with dawes bikes in
the mid 90s). The back ones are better than the blackburn equivalents IMO,
primarily due to having a dogleg rather than straight back strut.

cheers,
clive

Blackburn do the EX-2 ( it think it's called) which has dog legs. I
have one. It's the dog's b*ll*cks. Bor Yueh racks IMO are nowhere near
as good as Blackburn. I've seen an alloy Bor Yueh rack with broken dog
legs - at the seam (bad weld, braze?). Blackburn have a lifetime
guarentee.

Chris
------------------------
I have no sympathy for idiots.
I have every sympathy for the innocent.
Old January 22nd 04, 03:35 PM
Peter Clinch

Chris Heys wrote:

Blackburn do the EX-2 ( it think it's called) which has dog legs. I
have one. It's the dog's b*ll*cks. Bor Yueh racks IMO are nowhere near
as good as Blackburn.

That would account for them being 3 times as expensive. If I was about
to cycle across Africa I'd certainly prefer to spend the extra money,
but for typical UK use a B-Y should be quite sufficient for most. And
you can have two fail before you'll have paid as much as the Blackburn...

Pete.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee
Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital

Old January 22nd 04, 03:58 PM
Sam Salt

wrote:

[...]

Yes I was also thinking that about the pannier tops being lower on the Tubus
Logo making a rack top bag easier to attach.I have some Ortliebs and was
wondering if dropping them down the rack as the Logo does would mean the
bottom fixing point was too low for the rack.Still I presume these things
have been thought of.

Sam Salt

---

Old January 22nd 04, 05:18 PM
Chris Heys

On Thu, 22 Jan 2004 14:35:23 +0000, Peter Clinch
wrote:

Chris Heys wrote:

Blackburn do the EX-2 ( it think it's called) which has dog legs. I
have one. It's the dog's b*ll*cks. Bor Yueh racks IMO are nowhere near
as good as Blackburn.

That would account for them being 3 times as expensive. If I was about
to cycle across Africa I'd certainly prefer to spend the extra money,
but for typical UK use a B-Y should be quite sufficient for most. And
you can have two fail before you'll have paid as much as the Blackburn...

Pete.

Agreed, you'd probably be fine with a B-Y for medium weight UK use.
I've also found Blackburn to be very solid. Plus the'yre not too
expensive - I paid £22 for mine, admittedly in Edinburgh Bike
Collective's Jan sale though.