10-15 hours of practice gets you where, now ?

Old December 28th 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Pigs on Unicycles

Default 10-15 hours of practice gets you where, now ?

It took me 4 months of 2-3 hours a day practice to get unicycling.

Pigs

--
Pigs on Unicycles

B r i n g b a c k t h e N i m b u s R o u n d - C r o w
n ! !

"Sprite off, you spriting spriter!" - Into the Blue
Old December 28th 08, 10:15 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
pedrotejada

I learned 180 Unispins in less than 10 minutes and took me 1 month to
learn Hickflips...

I learned rolling wraps in some minutes and took me 15 days to learn
outside and varial rolls...

Time to learn stuff is really personal. Just ride and you'll see!

--
pedrotejada

'*Kris Holm Unicycles*' (http://www.krisholm.com)

*Brazilian Unicycling Team*
Old December 28th 08, 10:53 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
monocyclism

I also read the 'label' that said 10-15 hours of practice is typical for
a unicycle. So after buying my beginner unicycle I religiously videoed
my progress on an hourly basis. I had never used a unicycle before so I
was absolute beginner. The video record can be seen here as short clips
from each hour.

http://uk.youtube.com/user/monocyclism

As I developed a little every session I also recorded some of my
comments that seem to suggest I was offering advice (as if I could!) In
fact I was trying to interpret what I was practically learning into an
explanation. So you experts out there don't be too critical of me if you
view the movies and think I am talking rubbish. Since filming the first
six hours of practice I have gone on to longer runs of 7 miles and also
started some muni.

I am curious about another thing. How old do people get and still
unicycle? I was born in 1948.

--
monocyclism
Old December 28th 08, 11:22 PM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
cbs

i appreciated the video mc! im glad i watched hour 1 as my arm is
"healed" but not so much that i think i can fall on it. i get my cast
off tomorrow. i guess i will have to wait til the bone is hard to
learn.

i also wobble side to side whenever i dont touch the wall.
unfortunately i have black marks all over the wall to prove it.

i hope i can ride soon! this looks so much fun. hallways isnt really
riding.

--
cbs
Old December 29th 08, 12:22 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
zogola

Monocyclism-
I enjoyed your videos very much. For me its more fun to watch a
beginner "getting it" than it is to ride myself. Seems to me you made
faster progress than most. Looks like a beautiful country road to learn
on!

McNerdius-
Good to hear things are starting to come together. I'd second
Jerrick's suggestion about a "destination ride", though I understand the
traffic and safety issues at this point. Have you started getting some
controlled turns into your riding? Perhaps use a stopwatch to keep
track of your longest ride (time-wise) within your parking area. That
would force you turn with control while increasing your leg strength
etc. Then you could go out into the big bad world with a bit more
confidence.

Kurt

--
zogola
Old December 29th 08, 02:26 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Bruce Dawson

monocyclism;1159754 wrote:
So after buying my beginner unicycle I religiously videoed my progress
on an hourly basis. I had never used a unicycle before so I was absolute
beginner. The video record can be seen here as short clips from each
hour.

http://uk.youtube.com/user/monocyclism

Nice idea documenting the learning process. You're learning very
quickly for an old guy :-) and I'm sure you'll be able to keep riding
for a long time.

I think the classic 10-15 hour estimate is to be able to ride a
reasonable distance and then dismount cleanly. I'm not sure it includes
learning to freemount as many people take a while to master that.

--
Bruce Dawson
Old December 29th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
skilewis74

Congrats on learning! Looks like you learned a bit faster than
average to me too, esp considering your age (supposedly takes longer the
older you are when you start).

@ the end of your 6th hour vid, it looked like you should be sitting up
streighter. Generally there should be a streight line from the top of
your head to the hub. Try not to lean forward at the waist. Most do
the static mount (which it looks like you're doing starting w/ the
cranks horizontal, not 5 & 11 o-clock).

Now try to get good at holding the handle (looks like your uni doesn't
have one, so just grab the front of the saddle as if there was one).
Also, hopping, figure 8's w/ diameters 3 m., etc. check my signature.

What kind of riding do you want to get into?

monocyclism;1159754 wrote:
I am curious about another thing. How old do people get and still
unicycle? I was born in 1948.

You mean still stands? Don't worry if it seems impossible, a 10 second
still stand is a level 10 skill.

I can't really do it intentionally w/o support, but I have done them up
to two or three seconds in the middle of a ride.
- There are three ways I practice this:
--All my weight on the pedals
--Normal weight on the seat (meaning most of it)
--Most of my weight on the pedals and my but barely touching the saddle
(easiest for me)

The first two are equally hard for me, they're just different.

--
skilewis74

Ride everywhere and never just ride anywhere. If you can ride where you
are going within a hour, do it, and if you can do a trick 50-75% of the
time do it along the way.- Bob Burnquist

What next? 'IUF skill levels'
(http://www.unicycling.org/iuf/levels/)*'
Street'
(http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/The_Unicyclopedia/Street)*'unicycletips.com'
(http://unicycletips.com/)*'Trials class system'
(http://tinyurl.com/yqpvxk)*'Trials Building'
Old December 29th 08, 02:53 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Geeta

monocyclism;1159754 wrote:

I am curious about another thing. How old do people get and still
unicycle? I was born in 1948.

Loads of people your age are still riding around. Search the forums a
little bit and you'll see.

--
Geeta
Old December 29th 08, 04:00 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
Tiki Pirate

I'm 36 and just started riding again about a week ago. I rode for a one
or two year period about 20 years ago at my elementary school.

Today was my third official practice session. As of today I am able to
free mount, ride forward, turn (reasonably well), and dismount
(controlled and uncontrolled) I plan on moving out of my old digs at
the schoolyard and heading for an easy trail/fire road for my next
ride!

My biggest problem is that I am still out of shape and get winded
pretty easily. This is my biggest limiting factor as of now. I'm
surprised at how fast I picked it back up; but, it did take me a long
time to learn the first time, which should help some of you feel better.

If you are having a hard time. Just try to relax and ride upright and
smooth. Don't force stuff and over stress. At some point everything
just "clicks", your able to ride, then you will have other stuff to
learn.

--
Tiki Pirate
Old December 29th 08, 11:18 AM posted to rec.sport.unicycling
monocyclism

CBS
Pity about your arm – I have a few pulled muscles and to continue
learning I am popping a few painkillers – but I reckon learning with
your bad arm would be a bridge-too-far for me! Get better soon.

Zogola
Thanks for the compliments and yes the country road I learnt on is also
located in a beautiful part of the UK. If you would like to look at the
very bridge, and road, I learnt on go to Google maps, turn on Satellite
view, and look he

http://tinyurl.com/9pnuds

Bruce Dawson
Thanks dude! When you called me an ‘old guy’ I knew I had made it! – No
offence taken The reality is I am no spring-chicken and I think time
is not on my side. I’m doing a little off road but heading towards
imminent purchase of 36er so I can learn to ride roads by summer 09 –
this will be safer territory methinks. As uni_jim might say, I want to
be a Flatlander

Skilewise74
Really appreciate your feedback. I live in unicycle-isolation in a low
population area where sheep outnumber humans. My only means of help has
been reading-the-manual, online videos and some feedback from Terry
‘Unigeezer’ Peterson. Yup, I got the crank position sorted now for free
mounting. Amazingly you also mentioned holding the saddle!! Unigeezer
advised this after seeing my videos! So I have been holding the saddle
without feeling any rush of purpose through my veins – then I went off
road! Wow, holding the saddle was a revelation to keep me on it and only
using one free arm for balance was a real surprise!

I intend to purchase a 36er very soon still assessing which one.
Narrowed it down to a Nimbus perhaps. Coker appeared to have some
criticisms on the forums for quality issues. Didn’t mean to imply
stand-stills in my post but have been trying to do this. Will try out
the techniques you explained – and thanks for the links.

PS I have stopped doing hourly videos of the 'learning-curve' and
switched to producing monthly ones.

--
monocyclism

Duathlon Practice Run innes Unicycling 1 April 3rd 08 01:11 AM
Keep up the practice semach.the.monkey Unicycling 6 October 9th 07 02:26 PM
Practice run Brian G UK 4 July 14th 07 09:15 AM
Practice day 2 unicycleboy Unicycling 6 December 19th 05 08:34 PM
training/practice muniracer Unicycling 3 February 1st 04 04:56 AM