What bike? (please help)

Old August 28th 03, 08:46 PM
chris

Default What bike? (please help)

Hi,
New to this group and would like a little advice. After MTB'g for a good few
years I've decided to get a road bike. I basically whittled it down to three
models.

http://www.trekbike.co.uk/bikes/road...mance/2300.php

http://www.specialized.com/SBCBkMode...ervSessionIdro
ot=m8wt5p7q9p.j27003&bl=road

http://www.cannondale.com/bikes/03/c...del-3RR1T.html

Not knowing much about road bikes I've been trying to find out the best size
frame for my build. The problem is that one shop recommends one size frame
(say 56cm), and another shop recommends 58cm (this is on the specialized
allez comp). I'm not too sure about the sizing of the other bikes I'm
interested in but I assume they'll either be 56cm or 58cm.
Has anyone ridden these three bikes, or does anyone know what they're like
compared to each other.
I think I need all the help I can get as I'm new to the road scene.
I'll be using the bike for longish rides over hilly terrain (Mid, North
Wales road loops etc.)

TIA.

--
chris

Old August 28th 03, 09:56 PM
Peter B

"chris" mojo.rising@ntlworlddotcom wrote in message

Not knowing much about road bikes I've been trying to find out the best

size
frame for my build. The problem is that one shop recommends one size frame
(say 56cm), and another shop recommends 58cm (this is on the specialized
allez comp).

Ideally you need to ride them, but definately at least sit on them. The
given measurements may vary as may the opinion of the salesperson.

Has anyone ridden these three bikes, or does anyone know what they're like
compared to each other.

I've owned a Cannondale very similar to that shown for just over a year and
so far have no complaints.
The ride can be unforgiving on certain surfaces, I don't know how it
compares to the others, but it is comfortable overall.

I think I need all the help I can get as I'm new to the road scene.
I'll be using the bike for longish rides over hilly terrain (Mid, North
Wales road loops etc.)

Yes, the triple chain ring is definately the way to go for Wales IMHO.

The bottom line may come down to what appeals to your eye as they'll all
fine bikes but rule out any you can't have a go on (hopefully not all
three).

Pete

Old August 28th 03, 10:20 PM
Stan Cox

[...]

Hi Chris.
If I was about to spend that much I would probably not buy a complete bike
from a large manufacturer but buy a frame & groupset. I am quite heavy so I
would go for Steel but this is personal preference. As I mentioned elsewhere
getting the correct size is essential. All the best.

Stan Cox